Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good First Car

Options
  • 19-03-2008 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

-- pre-rant rant--
    Probably been asked to death but sure ah well :D Maybe a sticky thread on this would be good although a bit hard to be comprehensive on it I suppose.

Anyway, I'm looking at cars. I don't need one to get to work but I'd use it to make my life a little easier at weekends mostly. I've got 4,000 Euro saved up but could wait until I have 5,000 so that's my budget.

Basically I've had my full license since I was 17 but never owned a car because everything is in walking/commuting distance of me. I have been a named driver for two years, would this actually matter to any insurance companies?

Anyway I'm looking for something decent (reliable and cheap to run with cheap insurance) since I'm not going to be driving a lot, speed isn't really important but it would be used on the Motorway so a bit of go wouldn't hurt. I was looking at Civic's because they look decent and are reliable and reasonably cheap to run but I'm afraid the insurance companies would go to town on me with no previous driving experience on my own policy.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My advice is to start by driving all the cars that fit your criteria.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

I'm guessing you are 18 or 19 ? As long as you stay below a 1.4 you're insurance shouldn't be too bad. Having the full licence is a big bonus. Did you get a quote yet. Best think you can do is get onto quinn direct website just to get a ballpark figure.

Can't argue with the Civics. Nice car, generally seen to be reliable from what I know.

How about a 1.4 Focus. They are a bit underpowered but are a good solid car. I'd say you should be able to pick one up for under 5k. (One think though, find out if the Coil has been replaced. They go after 60k or so in a Focus)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Anything Japanese according to a car mechanic friend. However, if anything does go wrong with them it's expensive -- my son has just paid out €400 for a windscreen wiper relay for an Almeira. Personally, having driven them for years, I would stock to Henry Ford. They are plentiful, reasonable to repair, and as reliable as any in my experience. A Focus is a good bet, I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

You can't beat a focus. Very relabile , great to drive ,well built ,cheap to maintain ,etc...........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Focus I guess it is. I'm 24 BTW. I was named driver on parents policy when I was younger and am now again after college. I wasn't on it during college because I wasn't around enough and it wasn't worth the money but it costs my da almost nothing to have me on his policy now that I'm 24.

A focus would be good. Didn't think I could get one with that budget. Any recommendations on year when they made a particular bad/good model (don't think the focus has changed that much over the years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Quinn will recognise your named driving experience!

Focus is a good bet alright, i'd wait till you get about €5K or €5,500 though to get a nice, lowish milage 01 model with decent spec

Best of Luck with it, i got my first car in August and its the best thing ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

My best advice to you (considering you're 24) is to go for a 2000 or 2001 Ghia Saloon model. They are obvious a 4 door, with Ghia spec and has a 1.6 engine. (1.4 is quite dead).

They are cheaper than hatchback plus you get better spec with the Ghia add ons. 1.6 is Fairly lively too. 0-60 in 10.9 seconds which is fairly good for a 1.6

GavMan wrote: »
    Quinn will recognise your named driving experience!

Focus is a good bet alright, i'd wait till you get about €5K or €5,500 though to get a nice, lowish milage 01 model with decent spec

Best of Luck with it, i got my first car in August and its the best thing ever

Cool thanks for that. I was look to get an 01 alright.

The 1.6 ghia actually looks pretty good so thanks to that poster too. That's pretty much my mind made up lads.

:D

okay not going to click the thanks button for everyone :D so mm thanks to everyone that posted advice. Must do my homework and I'll probably bring my brother along since he has bought a few cars in his time and has Car buyer good books with advice on all this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A fabia ? OP stands for origonal poster . Not Old Pensioner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yeah ...and the Focus is "hip" ...or is it "hip replacement" ? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭sk8board

How about a Clio?
    It ticks all your initial boxes
    1.2 engine, Insurers love them, easy to find ones with very low mileage, cheap to run and well within budget.

heres an '02 (later model) one: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Clio/1.2-SPORT/954861/

The thing is I love Clio's but I'd be worried about the reliability/build quality of it. The last thing I want is something that is going to cause me a headache if I'm not using it that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Corolla/FX-GT/969171/

How about a Corolla? Not like the ones for the wrinklies.

Just one for someone that has'nt a clue about cars! Two words - muppet motor!

Advertisement