Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

opinions on hyundai coupes

Options
  • 19-03-2008 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

hey guys, im thinking of changing my car, just in a bit of a doubt whether or not i should go for a Hyundai coupe as they are seen as a hairdressers car! i'm looking at the latest model.

just looking to get your opinion!

vote ye or ne!

Hyundai Coupe = womans/hairdressors car 60 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 60 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think what you need to ask is:

A) Do you like the way it looks
    B) Are you bothered that it's underpowered and drives the same as an Elantra

If you're happy with these issues, then who cares.

There are very few sporty coupes out there for the same money, the problem people have with Hyundai Coupes is that they are all show and no go.
    So if you're buying the car to impress guys, then it won't work. If you just want something affordable and good looking then go ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

Im sorry i think they are, just because everyone i know who drives one happens to be a hairdresser/beautician etc etc.
    But - i do think the current model is sweet looking. Drove one of the old 1.6's and thought they were poor to drive but havent driven any of the 2.0l or the current model
    I hear the future models are going to come with RWD - ya never know i might swap the R33 for one

the new model is pretty much a facelifted 02 model, which was a reskinned 00 model which was a facelifted 96 model.....

It's pretty much the same to drive as it's always been! the 2.0 or even 2.7 model aren't even fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP you need to ask yourself are you phased by the thought of what other people might judge you by the type of car you own/drive? Do you really want to associate with shallow people like that. If the answer is no then buy the car because you want it or it ticks all the right boxes for you.

The Hyundai Coupe itself is a nice car, stylish, cheap to keep on the road, descent enough to drive and good value for money. This is what Hyundai designed it to be, it was never meant to be a performance car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

lovely car design-wise if i was to put aside my stereotypical view of a driver of one which would be an umpa-lumpa fake tanned hairdresser for some reason!
    personally if id that money and was looking for a car in that class id go for an RX-8 its only a 1.3 yet a lot quicker than the coupe due to its rotary engine plus more individual as you dont see many on the road

• Advertisement

Hyundai haven't decided if the new Genesis is coming to Europe yet. It is bigger than the current Coupe, rwd and base models will come with a 2.0 210bhp turbo engine. The combination of these may make the Genesis expensive which is the opposite of what Hyundai have always sold on.

Catch 22 possibly for Hyundai, if you want a rwd decent performing coupe then your going to have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

The older Coupes look a bit feminine but the 2004 onwards model is fairly nice.
    My girlfriend has a newer one and I quite enjoy driving it (although it's a bit cramped if you're over 6ft) but as other have said it doesn't have the acceleration or power that it looks like it should have !

New Hyundai Genesis:

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_250935_25.jpg[/URL]
    [URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_250932_25.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

landydef wrote: »
    personally if id that money and was looking for a car in that class id go for an RX-8 its only a 1.3 yet a lot quicker than the coupe due to its rotary engine plus more individual as you dont see many on the road

time for you to start reading some fact sheets: first, in Ireland, the RX-8 is taxed as a 1.8 - the won't accept he 1.3 thing. Neither will the insurance companies - it's insured as a 2.6. It does 17mpg on a good day, and likes the oul sup of oil. Those are the real reasons you don't see many of them on the roads.

So, if the OP is looking at Hyundai Coupes - the RX-8 is a complete red herring.

A nice herring, but a herring nonetheless........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

didnt know that,id understand the insurance companies hitting it hard but how can the gov. class it as a 1.8??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Because the government makes the rules.

Seriously- all Wankel engined cars have been taxed with this multiplier effect.

Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

colm_mcm wrote: »
    B) Are you bothered that it's underpowered and drives the same as an Elantra

I wouldnt agree that it drives the same as the Elantra. They may share the same engine but the suspension setup is a a different kettle of fish. The coupe feels way more planted on the road than the elantra. (IMO)

However point A) was a good one. if OP likes it who cares.

To answer your poll, no I dont think its a hairdressers car. Id buy one and i wouldnt give a f**k what others think:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP you need to ask yourself are you phased by the thought of what other people might judge you by the type of car you own/drive? Do you really want to associate with shallow people like that. If the answer is no then buy the car because you want it or it ticks all the right boxes for you.
    barryfitz wrote: »
    However point A) was a good one. if OP likes it who cares.
    To answer your poll, no I dont think its a hairdressers car. Id buy one and i wouldnt give a f**k what others think:pac:

I don't understand this logic...

Surely the point of a coupe like this is to impress other people? It not like it's a driver's car or has any other advantages other than it's looks. And surely this mean that making the choice of buying a Hyundai coupe makes one (at least a little bit) shallow...

Maybe I'm the shallow one. Maybe I'm a snob. No way would I want to be associated with the type of person I usually see driving this type of car.

IMO a 4 year old Corolla would be preferable. At least this means the driver doesn't give a **** rather than having some semi-desperate need for attention. Not cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The Hyundai coupe are not worth the money, if someone gave me one for free i'd sell it straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

While i like the look of the coupe, i was disappointed by the feel of the car.
    However i think for the type of money involved with them i would rather go and buy the MX5.
    Both hairdressers cars, but which one is a stinker to drive and which one is a stonker?!
    I enquired about both of these cars and insurance was about the same for each, tax around the same, price around the same.

Ok you may not get a new model mazda. But just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

hellboy99 wrote: »
    The Hyundai coupe are not worth the money, if someone gave me one for free i'd sell it straight away.

Bit of a funny statement there. What money are they not worth? If you got a 2005 one in perfect nick for a grand, then how would it not be worth the money?

Biro wrote: »
    Bit of a funny statement there. What money are they not worth? If you got a 2005 one in perfect nick for a grand, then how would it not be worth the money?
    If I got a 2005 one free I would sell it for as much as the spec of car would go for, between €14,000 - €20,000.
    I just wouldn't buy one, there a cheap built car with a big price tag, for the same kind of money for a 2005 model you could get a 2004 BMW 316i sport, so why on earth would you go for a Hyundai coupe :confused:

I drove a 00 coupe 1.6 FX for a while, suspension was too stiff, it didn't handle great on the bends, it was only comfortable on a motorway and as for the interior it was just plain and cheap looking. I recently drove a 06 model and that was no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

landydef wrote: »
    didnt know that,id understand the insurance companies hitting it hard but how can the gov. class it as a 1.8??? :confused:
    It really should have been put down as probably about a 2.5 to 3.0 going on the economy and CO2 figures.

If I got a 2005 one free I would sell it for as much as the spec of car would go for, between €14,000 - €20,000.
    I just wouldn't buy one, there a cheap built car with a big price tag, for the same kind of money for a 2005 model you could get a 2004 BMW 316i sport, so why on earth would you go for a Hyundai coupe :confused:

I drove a 00 coupe 1.6 FX for a while, suspension was too stiff, it didn't handle great on the bends, it was only comfortable on a motorway and as for the interior it was just plain and cheap looking. I recently drove a 06 model and that was no better.

A 316i? That's about as inspiring as a square wheeled bike, and almost as pointless.
    I'm not saying that the Hyundai coupe is a fantastic car, but it's reliable, lots of people like it's looks, and while it's not dynamically exceptional, it handles moderately well. It's also reasonably priced. The interior might be plain, but I'm absolutely shocked at the blandness at the inside of a basic spec 3-series every time I sit into one. And a 1.6 in an "executive" saloon is an insult. All that for nearly €40,000? And you think the Hyundai is poor value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

A 316i? That's about as inspiring as a square wheeled bike, and almost as pointless.
    I'm not saying that the Hyundai coupe is a fantastic car, but it's reliable, lots of people like it's looks, and while it's not dynamically exceptional, it handles moderately well. It's also reasonably priced. The interior might be plain, but I'm absolutely shocked at the blandness at the inside of a basic spec 3-series every time I sit into one. And a 1.6 in an "executive" saloon is an insult. All that for nearly €40,000? And you think the Hyundai is poor value?

Interior is nice imo...leather as standard in 1.6models from 2005 +

• Advertisement

In my opinion a BMW 316i or even an Audi A4 for the same money is way better than a Hyundai coupe, and as for your €40,000, if I had that kind of money to spend on a nice car personally I would go and get a 08 Mazda RX-8.

In my opinion a BMW 316i or even an Audi A4 for the same money is way better than a Hyundai coupe, and as for your €40,000, if I had that kind of money to spend on a nice car personally I would go and get a 08 Mazda RX-8.

Way better? Why? Cause they have back doors? They're not that much better. For €25,000 a Hyundai coupe is not the worst purchase you could make. For €40,000, a 1.6 BMW certainly isn't far from the worst, a 1.6 A4 is about as sh!t as it gets for €35,000. I agree with the RX8, but that's in a different league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Clay Davis

pburns wrote: »
    I don't understand this logic...

Surely the point of a coupe like this is to impress other people? It not like it's a driver's car or has any other advantages other than it's looks. And surely this mean that making the choice of buying a Hyundai coupe makes one (at least a little bit) shallow...

Exactly - the fact that the OP is interested in a Hyundai Coupe means that he DOES care what people think - because that car is all about the way it looks, as it certainly isn't a 'drivers' car - it's ALL about being all show & no go.
    Add this to the fact that the OP is also asking everyone here what they think about it, only confirms that he DOES care what people think.

Clay Davis wrote: »
    Exactly - the fact that the OP is interested in a Hyundai Coupe means that he DOES care what people think - because that car is all about the way it looks, as it certainly isn't a 'drivers' car - it's ALL about being all show & no go.
    Add this to the fact that the OP is also asking everyone here what they think about it, only confirms that he DOES care what people think.

I don't buy into this to be honest, if you want to impress other people would you stop short and buy a Hyundai? Surely a debadged 1.6 litre BMW or Audi would look more impressive? :p

I'm thinking the OP wants something a little stylish and cheap to put on the road. Nothing wrong with that but he seems to be a little insecure in what other people will think.

Coupe 1.6 only has leather on the outside edges of the seats, and no aircon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amandalawlor

i can not beleave the s***t people are giving out about the coupe. They are a fantastic looking car, I drove a 06 shape for a year, the most comfortable car. every shop i went to when i got out of the car the complimants people said about it was deadly. And for been a hair dressers car thats just fellows been jealous and thats the fact of it. When i met my partner he had a red 06 one and all the women wanted him cause of the car but instead i got him!!!ha. Lads ye knoe thats y ye dont like them because they are real head turners fot the women its hard to face it but true.i say if ya wana buy one just go ahead never mind what ayone says there just envy with jealous cause ul look s***t hot!!!ha savage car savage back seatS!!

There you have it folks.
    Hyundai Coupe = Babe magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'd prefer a Lada Samara and a woman who can write English, over a 'babe magnet' and an Engerlish expert.

OP, Hyundai Coupé - All show, no go. It's a failed hairdressers car.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amandalawlor

I coulnt care less what you think,my english is good enough to get me a job in a bank, did you ever here of short text. You must be easily pleased yourself if a lada keeps you happy, myself i have style!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I coulnt care less what you think,my english is good enough to get me a job in a bank, did you ever here of short text. You must be easily pleased yourself if a lada keeps you happy, myself i have style!!!

Sweet FUKIN Jesus.......

Since when was a job in a bank a benchmark of someones english??
    Since when was the Hyundai Coupe a good car???

Advertisement