Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

opinions on hyundai coupes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

IMHO, Hyundai Coupe is getting way too much muck thrown at it here. I know Hyundai doesn't have a great history to speak about, and they probably don't handle like some German cars, but IMHO, they are excellent value cars for the money. Hairdresser's or not is each ones own call - if someone's to judge me based on what I drive, I couldn't give a flying feck about what they think!

Here's Richard Hammonds take on Hyundai Coupe against Lexus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3FdV6vQQZs

"Cheap inside, but good ride, good looking and genuinely a good car"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Drove a 2.7 v6 one for a bit.
    Surprisingly solid well built car.

Heavy car though, so not a flyer on the back roads, but solid and relaxing cruiser.
    Looks well, doesn't break and a huge warranty.

As for taking a 316 over one - dear god - the 316 is all that is wrong with modern ireland!
    Most owners are as clueless about cars as they are about money....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

hey guys, im thinking of changing my car, just in a bit of a doubt whether or not i should go for a Hyundai coupe as they are seen as a hairdressers car! i'm looking at the latest model.

just looking to get your opinion!

vote ye or ne!

Why not consider the Volvo C30 instead.

600-Volvo-C30-01.jpg

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=251

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=838&

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

Not sure why I am commenting but, C30 is not quite a sports coupe. Also Volvo models usually have reliability issues and are usually expensive to fix. Hyundai being the other end of the scale - usually reliable and cheap to fix. I am sure Volvo interior would be far superior to Hyundai's.

HonestJohn on Hyundai Coupe 2.0SE

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=126
    And the only real competition these days is from the Toyota Celica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Coupe 1.6 only has leather on the outside edges of the seats, and no aircon.

I'm currently selling a 2006 Coupe, 1.6L model...

Earlier models (2002 - 2005) in the 2.0 had full leather as standard - to be honest I prefer the half leather in the '06+ models as your not sliding around - and it doesn't burn your ass in the summer :)

As far as I know, Air Con. isn't standard on the newer models alright (just checked) - I thought it was as I have it in mine.

Also, the uk model comes with a 5 year warranty as opposed to the Irish ones.

So to the OP - go for it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'd want to check that, from what I remember, the 1.6 never got full leather as standard.

You'd want to check that, from what I remember, the 1.6 never got full leather as standard.

I said 2.0L had it as standard...

The leather in the 1.6L was about €1,500 or there abouts extra in 2002 - 2005 models.

The new facelift from the 2002-2005 models makes the car look at lot nicer imo too (clear front lens' and bumper)

gotcha. agreed on the facelift, very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Irish 1.6 litre Coupes have an electric sunroof rather than air con. 2.0 litre has climate controlled air con afaik. 2.7 litre has both to my knowledge.

1.6 litre UK Coupe had air con instead of the sunroof. Air con is more practical imo as the headroom in the Coupe is fairly tight with the sunroof.

I like the 2007 onwards second facelifted model. A pitty the dash didn't get the same attention. Looks and feels like it came straight out of the Accent, also hate the out of place aftermarket stereo.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Irish 1.6 litre Coupes have an electric sunroof rather than air con. 2.0 litre has climate controlled air con afaik. 2.7 litre has both to my knowledge.

1.6 litre UK Coupe had air con instead of the sunroof. Air con is more practical imo as the headroom in the Coupe is fairly tight with the sunroof.

I like the 2007 onwards second facelifted model. A pitty the dash didn't get the same attention. Looks and feels like it came straight out of the Accent, also hate the out of place aftermarket stereo.

Yup,
    The Irish model has a 3 year manufacturers warranty, the UK model has 5 (which can be utilised over here)

• Advertisement

the sunroof doesn't really eat into the headroom as it slides outside of the car, I had a similar setup in the FTO.

the sunroof doesn't really eat into the headroom as it slides outside of the car, I had a similar setup in the FTO.

Would prefer AirCon to a Sunroof in any car I think

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It retracts into the roof though which means the roof lining would still have to accomodate the electric motor arms.

The aircon Coupe models haven't got much extra headroom that I've noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

but the truth of the matter is, if you were trying to look COOL, would you be better wearing shades sun roof open and windows open, chilling if you will, rather then actually chilling with the air con!
    All windows closed up tight, somebody might miss your sun-tanned head!

cabrwab wrote: »
    but the truth of the matter is, if you were trying to look COOL, would you be better wearing shades sun roof open and windows open, chilling if you will, rather then actually chilling with the air con!
    All windows closed up tight, somebody might miss your sun-tanned head!

The man speaks the truth...

But your really cooler by not trying to be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Skobyonekenobi

Hyundai Coupes are womens motors.

I know a bloke who bought one and was slagged to bits over it.

Hyundai Coupes are womens motors.

I know a bloke who bought one and was slagged to bits over it.

And what manly car do you drive, that other men nod their heads approvingly at. Seeking approval from other males on your choice of car is a bit on the metorsexual side now isn't it! Trying to impress other men with your car....Hmmm

At the end of the day, if you let what your mates say influence your buying decision, or worry about what others think of your choice, you're not much of a man now...

The irish car buying public are among the least educated/most highly opinionated in the world, so who cares what a bunch of philistines think...

Taxi driver ranting and hearsay seems to be the average punters knowledge of anything automotive in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Just in case anyone's interested, the coupe is called Tiburon in the U.S. Which is Spanish for shark. Which I think is absolutely brilliant, especially with the most recent facelift, which really does look very sharky.

I drive a Toyota Supra

• Advertisement

And should I just insert the usual stereotypes about that car, or admire it for what it is?

No point pointing fingers at others motors unless you want them pointed back at you.

I drive a Toyota Supra

I've actually seen a lot of women driving these of late

Nothin wrong with a bird driving the Supra.

Doesn't make it a birds car though.

It sounds to me like someone is regretting buying a Hyundai Coupe

Nothin wrong with a bird driving the Supra.

Doesn't make it a birds car though.

It sounds to me like someone is regretting buying a Hyundai Coupe

Lol not at all ...I've owned quite a few of them and never regretted it ;)

Advertisement