Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SO, the Australian city Perth

Options
  • 19-03-2008 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Looks like I might be moving there to work as a geologiust, working 9 days in the outback, 5 days off in Perth. What is this place like? has anyone lived there, travelled through there?

Wat is my standard of living gonna be like, is it fun? What are the folks like? Come on, give me your opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oh lord I could be here all day! How long have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Oh lord I could be here all day! How long have you got?

All day!

Ok I'm in work at the mo so I'll do my best. I'll get back to you in a few minutes if that's cool.

Actually quick question, do you know which part of Perth you will staying in for your days off?

was trying to get an apartment near the beach. A house in the suburbs would be a bad idea as it would be empty for so long. My self and another guy going over would likely live together, money will not be to much of an object.

• Advertisement

Ah well then you're sorted. Ok I can help you out with that. You want to live in a northern suburb definitely. If I give you place names they'll be meaningless though at this stage! When do you move over?

May time is the plan, thanks for the help man, I hope i am not distracting you from valid work related activities?

Ha no not at all. I can usually be found here at this hour of the day anyway!

May is coming into winter here so you might not get a lot of beach time!

There's planty to see and do. What age bracket do you guys fall into?

We are both geologists, just out of college, both 24. Both from dublin.

I am gonna hit the sack now anyways, thanks for your time.

Alright cool. What I'll do is drop you a PM with some basic info and you can take it from there. I'm 23 so we should be on the same wavelength!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Hey hot dog just out of curiosity where will you be working as a geoligist, and how did you get the job

I will be working in a small camp called southern cross outside Perth with a company called st Barbara. I got it from a contact a friend gave me.

Cheers i,m going to perth myself on the 3rd of june, but alas I have only three out of the four years done in my geology degree. Soi was thinking of getting a job of some description in a mining camp but im not sure if ill be able. Ill have to get emailing.

When i move home i will talk to my lecturer about it.

Thanks

are you only going for the summer? Or are you deferring a year?

Lots of jobs here

http://www.earthworks-jobs.com/miningmi.htm

Deferring for a good few years. Thinking of travelling for like 3 years so will go back after that. Cheers for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

More suited for Abroad if you're going to be living there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im more than likely going to be moving to Perth in September, so ill keep this thread going and keep an eye on it.

Im going over on a working holiday but it looks like ill be able to get a 6month contract in my field of work with a view to sponsorship, suits me down to the ground cos if i like it ill stay and if not ill come home, nothing lost.

What are the people from perth like to work with, are they laid back, easy going, like the rest of the Aussies? I'll more than likely be in the public sector working for a council.

i have a mate out there and 2 more will be following so we'll be looking for a 4bed gaf, hopefully with a swimming pool :-)

Also i know this may sound stupid, but is there any way to get irish TV out there? Ozzie TV is really crap (i was out there for 2months), I know theres time differences etc but it would still be cool.

Any other advice is much appreciated, I never got to WA in my time out there, here its much quietar than the East coast but that doesnt bother us. We'll all be 24 going btw

Im more than likely going to be moving to Perth in September, so ill keep this thread going and keep an eye on it.

Im going over on a working holiday but it looks like ill be able to get a 6month contract in my field of work with a view to sponsorship, suits me down to the ground cos if i like it ill stay and if not ill come home, nothing lost.

That's what I did. Came for 6 months, loved it and stayed. I'm lucky that I'm a citizen though.
    What are the people from perth like to work with, are they laid back, easy going, like the rest of the Aussies? I'll more than likely be in the public sector working for a council.

Like anywhere you get your good and bad apples but in general, yes Perth is a bit more laid back than the rest of Oz in my opinion/experience.
    i have a mate out there and 2 more will be following so we'll be looking for a 4bed gaf, hopefully with a swimming pool :-)

Lol good luck with that! Rent prices are starting to rise pretty steadily at the moment due to house prices in general going through the roof. With 4 of you it mightn't be that bad but I wouldn't count on a pool. I have one but I live in an apartment complex. Might be easier to find 2 apartments in the same place?
    Also i know this may sound stupid, but is there any way to get irish TV out there? Ozzie TV is really crap (i was out there for 2months), I know theres time differences etc but it would still be cool.

Not that I know of. TBH I actually like Aussie TV. I only really watch it during the week after work/training and the likes of Ten and Seven have all the top shows on. At weekends I watch the footy during the day and stream the Premiership on my laptop at night. Of course you can get Foxtel which is pretty damn good and not that expensive. I'd have it only our apartment management won't allow it. A lot of rented places will be the same as they hate dishes on the sides of buildings.
    Any other advice is much appreciated, I never got to WA in my time out there, here its much quietar than the East coast but that doesnt bother us. We'll all be 24 going btw

It is a bit quieter but it's what you make of it really. Have you any idea of what area you want to live in? If you don't know the areas but have a few names feel free to PM me and I can give you an idea.

Advertisement