Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator abuse.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

keystone wrote: »
    By the way, here is an example of what I believe is negative moderation.......was the comment required no matter whether the mod is right or not.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055257938

I'm not quite sure what your point is there - was just looking at that thread, and if you remove Faiths comment, you have a randomly locked thread. If you remove the lock but move it, you essentially have a thread that will get pretty much zero replies.

Essentially, her reply directs the OP to exactly where to look for info on it. I would love to know what your definition of negative moderation exactly is keystone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Dades wrote: »
    It is intriguing how a simple question can cause such a ruckus. :pac:
    But you don't get it Dades, it's not just a question, it's you forcing your opinion on someone by using your moderator status, it's not fair and it shouldn't be tolerated, don't you get it?

:D

çrash_000 wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what your point is there - was just looking at that thread, and if you remove Faiths comment, you have a randomly locked thread. If you remove the lock but move it, you essentially have a thread that will get pretty much zero replies.

Essentially, her reply directs the OP to exactly where to look for info on it. I would love to know what your definition of negative moderation exactly is keystone?
    If you remove the lock and move it anyway, the other mod will simply lock and delete it or merge it with the other thread.

Fine example of moderation and I really fail to see where the problem lies. Horrific example if you're trying to get a point across tbh. Must not be a huge problem if this is the best evidence of bad moderation they can come up with imo.

rb_ie wrote: »
    But you don't get it Dades, it's not just a question, it's you forcing your opinion on someone by using your moderator status, it's not fair and it shouldn't be tolerated, don't you get it?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭keystone

Feedback is taken seriously, when there is actual site feedback. This isn't feedback, its a badly vieled attack on a system that works well with no alternatives given.

Besides being confused by the first post, this all seems to be about how you percieve boards and that fact you seem to think everybody else sees it that way.

considering this is one of the largest forums in the world, clearly it should change the way its users treat new people because of how you perceive it. Its one of the most popular forums because idiots and trolls get banned. confused people get a push in the right direction.

Veiled attack......this is just a point I'm agreeing with. How its dealt with or not is not my concern. I am certainly not trying to attack the site. I believe it is well run, perhaps my previous posts detailing that will shed some light on my opinion of boards.

I have not stated that everybody sees boards in a negative way or in 'that' way. I am merely stating that there is a section of the participators that would think the same way.

I am also not stating that all mods act unprofessionally, I am simply stating that there are times when some do, thats all.

No need for any personal or veiled attacks on any 'user' in this instance.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Right, you're barred and so is your wife!
    Ahahaha
    +1 :D

I think what Keystone, and others claiming mods act "unprofessionally" on forums they don't mod need to realise is that Boards.ie is a community. It's not a support forum ran by a company, whereby the mods are actually customer service reps and therefore have to conduct themselves in a professional manner.

There's a big difference between a company's support forum and a community forum, and a different style of administration/moderation has to be taken in each. It'd be stupid for all the mods to act "professional" in every forum regardless if they're the designated mod or not.

It's no co-incidence that the majority of these "bad mod" threads are from newer users, those who stick around long enough seem to realise that it's a community (and therefore has a relaxed, unformal manner of both posting and moderation). Whether this has deterred people from staying on the site, it's hard to say but I can't see any way of communicating this message to new users atm, it's something that people just seem to learn as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have to say that all in all boards is run well, it is extremely popular and have a large variety of forums to participate in. The issue from the OP is valid and shows a potential problem. The fact that people do not post feedback or examples demonstrates that there is a problem that needs to be nipped in the bud.
    The OP has yet to give any actual feedback.
    All he did was make a statement without backing it up.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

By the way, here is an example of what I believe is negative moderation.......was the comment required no matter whether the mod is right or not.

As for combating peoples perception as you suggest, not sure that is the point in all cases.

In any case, i believe the point has been brought up, how the site as a unit deal with it. I'd imagine that all feedback is given equal review.
    Faith made the right decision there.
    There is a sticky at the top of that forum containing the information that was required.

What issues? I have yet to see an example or link to any abuse. And you can find some, just look through Terrys 20k posts or so for the one example.
    I don't thing using me as an example is a good idea.
    I've done quite a few questionable things in the past.
    Take a look through nesf's posts instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

It's no co-incidence that the majority of these "bad mod" threads are from newer users, those who stick around long enough seem to realise that it's a community (and therefore has a relaxed, unformal manner of both posting and moderation). Whether this has deterred people from staying on the site, it's hard to say but I can't see any way of communicating this message to new users atm, it's something that people just seem to learn as time goes by.

or just realise that there is no point in complaining as the more things change the more they stay the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Terry wrote: »
    The OP has yet to give any actual feedback.
    All he did was make a statement without backing it up.

And for that he deserves cats dagnabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

And for that he deserves cats dagnabbit

lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What do you mean by negative moderation, and in what way were Faith's comments negative? You've taken an example of very good moderation and are trying to use it to prove that moderators here make the wrong decisions. In that thread, the user asked a question in the wrong forum, which happens, and the mod pointed the correct location for the question, said there is already a thread there where answers can be found and locked the thread to avoid duplication and splitting of future answers. Nobody got into an argument, nobody got banned and the forum remains clean, this is what mods are there to do.
    keystone wrote:
    The fact that people do not post feedback or examples demonstrates that there is a problem that needs to be nipped in the bud.
    OK seriously now, is your name Lionel Hutz? You're saying that the fact that nobody can produce any evidence to backup the original claim is all the evidence you need to prove the problem exists? The fact that nobody has ever seen a leprechaun is surely enough to prove they do exist then, and that they are really good at hiding :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

what happens in feedback alot is that when a person has a problem you will get about 70% posts that are not relevent to the topic and only 30% address the issue.

we are constantly told not to bring threads off topic, but in feedback its moderators agreeing with other moderators and not addressing the issue at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

paul666 wrote: »
    what happens in feedback alot is that when a person has a problem you will get about 70% posts that are not relevent to the topic and only 30% address the issue.

we are constantly told not to bring threads off topic, but in feedback its moderators agreeing with other moderators and not addressing the issue at hand.

if its a genuine concern it gets dealt with properly. You is alwayz gonna loose if you start going tit fir tit with a mod over something remedial. n00bs quit figthing the powar please/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

togster wrote: »
    if its a genuine concern it gets dealt with properly. You is alwayz gonna loose if you start going tit fir tit with a mod over something remedial. n00bs quit figthing the powar please/
    Togster, still celebrating Paddy's Day?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Togster, still celebrating Paddy's Day?! :D

Yeah actually!! Had to work monday so im just getting it going at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

togster wrote: »
    Yeah actually!! Had to work monday so im just getting it going at the moment!!

I think it might have been the image of you going "tit fir tit" with a mod that gave it away!

Now I think that constitutes abuse of a moderator, tbh ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hey, I've been mentioned! Does this count as my own feedback thread? Wow!

That thread that was linked to started off in BG&RH and was moved to the main Food & Drink forum. I moved it to the Beer, Wine & Spirits forum, where I left it until I noticed the sticky. All fine, really.

This was fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Faith wrote: »
    Hey, I've been mentioned! Does this count as my own feedback thread? Wow!

That thread that was linked to started off in BG&RH and was moved to the main Food & Drink forum. I moved it to the Beer, Wine & Spirits forum, where I left it until I noticed the sticky. All fine, really.

This was fun!
    No; the closest we got to an example was one thread in which your username was present. It was a piss-poor example. Odd that.

* taps foot... *

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I was abused by a moderator at a Christmas party last year.
    I hadn't had the courage to speak up about it until now.
    I felt so dirty and used afterwards.
    He acted like it was a normal thing to do and looked at me like "What's the problem? Grow up!".
    I was so ashamed that I let it happen.
    I couldn't go back into the forums for month afterwards.

But I'm getting over it now.
    I know that what happened wasn't my fault and there was nothing I could've done to stop it.
    I'm still wary when I'm in a forum on my own or posting on a pretty desolate thread, especially at night, but I'm determined not to let it happen again.

Thanks for listening.
    *sniffle*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

People need to stop using me as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I was abused by a moderator at a Christmas party last year.
    Only one? The "Thanks" give it away.

Terry wrote: »
    People need to stop using me as an example.
    Stop being you and we will stop using you as an example. You bad bad modewator.

I wasn't at the party, but the story was enough to get me aroused, so thanks were in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I Think ive failed to understand the points being made in this thread.

anyone want to make me understand what the issue is?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

:confused:There were points made in this thread?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I Think ive failed to understand the points being made in this thread.

anyone want to make me understand what the issue is?

I'm not sure but at one stage there was possibly a perceived fault of any moderator doing something which may have been against the opinion of somebody else on a forum they may or may not have been in control of.

And we all got a few cheap shots in at Terry.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

IN BEFORE LOCK neeeeeooooooowwwww.

Nobody likes this fight tha powah crap.
    I think the issue is this: People dont always like that mods can influence threads by having an opinion, because mods personally know other mods and a mods opinion can have the perception of carrying more weight in a forum. Particularly when mods tend to post supporting other mods, then users may get pissed off because they feel ganged up on. There are many more examples of mods having a good ole roarin' match, but certain users dont see or remember these. Its just a failure to realise, on the part of the OP, that mods are just users, giving up their time to help boards tick over, and if sometimes they troll other forums, we can forgive them, because they're alright really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This tread needs abuse cats

1163354162444xy4lg2.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Abuse mod's:

1) Sit on your hand for a long period before the abuse.
    2) Draw eyes and mouth on your thumb and index finger so it looks like a face.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement