Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dado's.

Options
  • 19-03-2008 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I was told in McQuillans awhile back that dado blades are illegal in table saws and radial arm saws,they can be used in combination machines apparently. I've been doing a little browsing and see that some people stack two or three blades in their table saw to acieve the same results. Even the thought of that frightens the bejaysus out of me but has anyone here did it. Or, does anyone use a dado...illegally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 turnertina

I havent heard that Dubtom. How about Norm? He's the dado king! I just use my mitre fence on my tablesaw and slide the piece over gradually for each pass. I find it works perfectly for me. To be totally honest, I can just about handle one blade revolving towards me, dont think I would have the strength to consider a few blades at one time!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

Yep - your man in McQuillans told me when I was buying my table saw that dado cutters were illegal under an EU directive. I suppose that's why you cannot source dado cutters in any EU-based tool supplier.

So, as Turnertina says, you have to nibble out any dado, rebate or whatever. Bit of a pain if you want to run a groove in the two sides of a 6' bookcase and not to be recommended - there are other tools better suited to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Yes , dado blades are illegal but only as far as selling the blades and saws is concerned.Personally I think it's a silly rule.
    Having researched the whole issue a few years ago I decided I wanted a dado facility and imported a DeWalt table saw from the U.S. The arbour shaft is about 1 inch long and accomodates the dado blade.
    It's a fantastic tool and by far the most accurate way to cut rebates, trenches etc.
    Its particularily good at cutting rebates in sides of chests of drawers to fit drawer runners etc when you have to handle large slabs of wood.
    To my knowledge there's nothing to stop a private individual using a dado blade, using it in a professional shop is obviously a no no .

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

moi, do anything illegal? never!

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=17335&TabSelect=Reviews

on the subject of table saws, have you guys heard about this?

http://www.sawstop.com/
    interesting bit of kit.

recipio, I assume your saw was/is 110v, do you run it off a transformer?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I believe another reason, apart from the issue of guards, is that saws sold in the EU must have a blade brake installed. Dado blades are too heavy to stop within the prescribed time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Your right on that point alun,the guy in mcquillans mentioned that ok.It's got me thinking now, I just got a sip 10 inch,without checking,I assume then that the arbour on euro saws is smaller in lenght to US saws, so not to accomodate dado's?

:rolleyes: Sorry to disagree, but the problem is trying to match dado blades with automatic braking in modern saws - they don't work together.They are incompatible is radial arm saws where the blade is attached to the motor spindle and will run on too much unless braked. Belt driven table saws however stop much more quickly and the sheer mass of the dado stops the saw pretty quickly. As for safety, its just another spinning blade and protruding only 1/2 " above the saw table is safer than many other workshop machines.
    I think the 'E.U' ( how many bureaucrats are woodworkers ? ) banned it because you cannot fit a guard over the blade.

Sorry, just noticed your query. No, the DeWalt 746 has a choice of wiring built into the motor housing. Just follow instructions to run it off 110 or 220 volt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Fingalian wrote: »
    moi, do anything illegal? never!

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=17335&TabSelect=Reviews

Fingalian, would you know if this dado is suitable for any table saw. Mines a 10 inch, the dado an eight inch. i realise only a small portion of the blade protrudes,just want to doublew check.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I own and still use a dewalt radial arm saw from about 1986 that has a moulding block with cutters, that was used on numerous occasions for cabinet doors ect. It was also suitable for a collet attachment in the end of the motor base, but was a bit slow for that operation. There was also a thicknesser attachment for the dewalt, never used one though.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Dubtom,
    not sure, I usually mail them and tell them I have a Sheppach or whatever and will the bit of kit fit it.
    F.

Advertisement