Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3pay seems to have vastly improved- has it?

• 19-03-2008 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I was just testing out three's 3pay service today and surprisingly i can get most internet apps to work with it no problem.
    Have they vastly improved things or something?

I can get pretty much all my apps to use it now:
    Outlook mobile (POP3) now seems to work fine- absolutely delighted, real email again. :D:D
    Pocket Internet Explorer and Opera mini work fine.
    Plenty of other widgets work no problem (financial, weather apps etc)
    Streaming video- vtap works fine.
    Streaming radio- GSPlayer works fine.
    Skype for pocketpc worked ok- anyone know if they technically don't allow this over their data network?

I can't believe that everything just works given all the problems before with 3pay blocked ports.
    I never got pop email working on any other operator's prepay data service until now.

Only thing i can't get working is the java gmail app.
    Anyone know how to get this working on 3pay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Things do seem to have improved a bit alright, I found out last week that it's now possible to go to the planet3 site on a non branded 3 phone and buy credit/broadband addons, that wasn't possible even a month or so back.
    It's about time too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 have probably realised not everryone wants a branded handset from them and was stopping people from signing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Walkman wrote: »
    3 have probably realised not everryone wants a branded handset from them and was stopping people from signing up

Yep, got Opera working, even IM+ for SKYPE works so I can SKYPE out using my phone. I also got an Unlock code from them recently, no questions asked except I had to pay a €25 admin fee. Possibly because I was still in contract. Still they gave it to me whereas in the past, it was hell once the 'unlocking' topic was brought up! : ) Happy days and they are by far the cheapest of all the mobile providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Yep, got Opera working, even IM+ for SKYPE works so I can SKYPE out using my phone. I also got an Unlock code from them recently, no questions asked except I had to pay a €25 admin fee. Possibly because I was still in contract. Still they gave it to me whereas in the past, it was hell once the 'unlocking' topic was brought up! : ) Happy days and they are by far the cheapest of all the mobile providers.

Yeah i've noticed the IM client MSN messenger works independently over their data network- ie independently of their planet3 thing.
    Same with skype it seems.
    Haven't tried all the apps properly during the day so i'm wary that speeds may go down but still...

Funny thing is you can't help suspect that all the above is probably more down to lucky accident than any design on Three's part. :)

Anyone know how to get the gmail java app working properly with 3pay btw.

tallus wrote: »
    Things do seem to have improved a bit alright, I found out last week that it's now possible to go to the planet3 site on a non branded 3 phone and buy credit/broadband addons, that wasn't possible even a month or so back.
    It's about time too. :)

Yeah i thought that it was going to be a nightmare buying addons on an unlocked handset but it couldn't have been easier.
    Don't want to jinx this so i'll stop gushing about them now i think. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Given the history of 3 Ireland's network here one has to suspect that the accident theory holds water.

One would think given their propensity for advertising beyond all reasonable standards they'd be shouting about this from the rooftops.

Time will tell - in any case, enjoy it while it lasts. The more people exposed to all this the better as eventually all telcos will be forced to react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Was just thinking this morning thats it has improved. I find the mobile broadband and services working better and quicker that they used to. I remember waiting for a page to load for ages now they actually work like a Internet connection,,about time tho. maybe o2 into the market put a bit of pressure on them to get their act together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

mkennedy wrote: »
    Yeah i thought that it was going to be a nightmare buying addons on an unlocked handset but it couldn't have been easier.
    Don't want to jinx this so i'll stop gushing about them now i think. :)

I used to have to borrow my brother's phone to top up, it was a bit of a pain but still only a small price to pay for cheap internet on the phone. Much handier now.

tallus wrote: »
    I used to have to borrow my brother's phone to top up, it was a bit of a pain but still only a small price to pay for cheap internet on the phone. Much handier now.

Funny you should say that.
    Cos after I signed up for the 3pay sim I asked three CC about how you could access planet 3 to buy addons etc if you were using the sim in a non-branded handset.

She was adamant that
    1) you couldn't do this.
    2) You couldn't buy an addon for your sim on a friend's three handset, take it out and then use the addon in your non-branded handset (as you yourself had to do in the past) .
    Total bull$hit obviously. :)

I believed her (only to find out later after trying it for myself how easy all this was to do).

WTF is going on with their CC tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

if 3 keep this going i might just stay with them cause i went with them in first place to use msn and having my phone blocked cause I didnt buy it from them was a joke. Paying 50+ a month should be enough for them to at least let me use their network for something as simple as msn,

• Advertisement

Actually i just tried my own Skype app independently over their data network and it was pretty crap. :(
    Ah well, browsing, widget access, email and a bit of radio/video streaming wouldn't be too bad i suppose.
    Even though i suspect any streaming will probably fare similarly to the Skype app above (due to poor speeds).

Advertisement