Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bushes

Options
  • 19-03-2008 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

I have my car booked in for Friday to get the front and rear trailing arm bushes replaced. A mechanic told me a few months back after a pre-NCT that they were worn and should be replaced soon. I don't particularly feel there is anything wrong with the steering or anything, so I'm kinda having second thoughts about getting it done. The car is a BMW 320ci with 70k miles on the clock.

Then again I hear they are a gradual failure so it's better to get them done sooner rather than later. Is it worth getting done? I need an oil service too but the bushes will increase the price a fair bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

This does appear to be a common problem with the 3 series (plenty of threads on this issue).

How much are they charging you to get them replaced? (I will have to get mine done soon enough :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What price are you getting quoted?

They are cheap to buy and shouldn't take more than an hour.

I was quoted 450-500 incl vat for the front and rear replacement. Going to ring and ask for a total price if I was to get the oil service aswell.

But anyway is it worth getting it done, or should I wait until I actually need them replaced?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think that sounds a lot. Where are you getting it done?
    Replacing the bushes will make the car feel tighter. You don't notice that it has the level of wear until they are replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Elessar wrote: »
    I was quoted 450-500 incl vat for the front and rear replacement. Going to ring and ask for a total price if I was to get the oil service aswell.

But anyway is it worth getting it done, or should I wait until I actually need them replaced?

Are they replacing the lower control arms + lower control arm bushes on the front???? or just the bushes?? A BMW dealer will always do both... a good independent will be able to take off the old bushes and push on the new lower control arm bushes on the car, without replacing the lower control arms....

The Rear trailing arm bushes are a bit of a pain, there's a BMW tool for pushing out the old ones, but a lot of people seem to just drill them out... i've drilled mine out and used some threaded bar to push in the new ones...

I believe Dave Mc Cann Tyres in blanch will do these bushings for ya, also they will align the car after its all done... would be worth giving him a bell for a price.

Don't know if I should mention the garage name, but it's a well known BMW independent in Dublin. It is a lot and I don't know if the bushes are worth that expense at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

If the NCT is only reason why you are worried about them, then maybe just put the car through it before doing the job - it might pass anyway. From experience garages like telling you your bushes are knackered and wont pass the NCT, but I've never had a fail on bushes.

Advertisement