Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for builders to start?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 8:47am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I live in an apartment block & for the last 6 weeks builders have been making a ridiculous racket in one of the apartments. ie, can't actually hold a conversation in my sitting room. Some evenings they went on until 8pm.

Now the apartment next door has got the builders in and they started at 7am this morning...

What is an acceptable time for builders to start & finish in an apartment block? I get they feeling they think this is a building site, just like any other

thanks

Taco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It will vary. If the work is being done under a planning permission, it may specify hours.

Was the work this morning in a completed apartment block. the management company may have rules.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yeah the apartment block dates back to the 70s. Management company is totally useless. Although that's an interesting point & I will contact them.

It's internal renovations so no permission. They're doing up the bathroom, according to the notice put through the door.

Somebody mentioned that in residential areas, you're not allowed to beep your horn between 11pm & 7am and that this is a guide for building work as well - surely not??!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Usual management company house rules state that noise should be kept to a minimum between 8am - 10pm, but this may vary. Follow it up with the agents, it could just be a matter of them placing a call to the builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think (though I'm not certain) that building works generating noise can go from 7am - 7pm Mon - Fri, 7am - 1pm on Saturday and no work can be carried out on a Sunday.

I lived beside a house getting totally refurbished once and the kango started at 7am Mon - Sat. It was absolute torture. I was out of work at the time too but had to get up at 7am because of the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

7am to 7pm monday to friday and 10am to 5pm saturday is the standard. Saturday is definately much later than normal hours. Contact your local council/authority if the noise is outside these hours. From my own experience, things like demolition of houses have conditions in the planning permit (my most recent was 9am to 5pm mon to friday only).

• Advertisement
Advertisement