Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Servicing on Sunday - your thoughts?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi Guys,
    I run a garage on the southside of Dublin and have recently being getting a lot of people asking were we open Sunday for work. I have been thinking about opening up for Sunday work but I just wanted to throw it out there and see if it is something that you think is a good idea or not.
    Cheers,
    RIchie

Would you avail of Sunday Servicing? 55 votes

Yes it would be helpful
    0% 0 votes
    No,It's my day off
    100% 55 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great idea!
    I don't think people would mind paying a few quid extra for this either if the only other option is taking time off work to get a service done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Richieno9

There would be no extra charge for sundays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

can't see any problems with it as long as you can get your mechanics to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Great idea richie, however I think a 10% surcharge would be acceptable. You are providing a premium service & you could always pass it on to your mechanics as an overtime payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

----> Call it "Sunday Service" !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hey OP I think its a great idea, a friend of mine works in a family garage and opens alternating saturdays and sundays. He is kept quite busy and tbh everything is done off the books so he keeps 75% of the profit and the garage gets 25%. But i think they are going to try and take on a part time mechanic to work weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Richieno9

To be honest I'd like the garage run on a 7 day basis but I don't think we will need to incur extras as we would operate on a shift basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Richieno9 wrote: »
    I run a garage on the southside of Dublin

I'm telling Al on you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

stevec wrote:
    I don't think people would mind paying a few quid extra
    iMax wrote: »
    Great idea richie, however I think a 10% surcharge would be acceptable.
    :eek:
    I don't pay any extra on Sundays in Superquinn or Lidl or Tesco or the Cinema or the Leisure Centre etc. So if someone starts charging extra for Sundays they'd soon get the name of being a rip-off merchant, and I'd definitely avoid.

I think Richie you'd find that Sundays would probably be quite successful. If not, you can just stop doing them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

JHMEG wrote: »
    I don't pay any extra on Sundays in Superquinn or Lidl or Tesco or the Cinema or the Leisure Centre etc. So if someone starts charging extra for Sundays they'd soon get the name of being a rip-off merchant, and I'd definitely avoid.

Or Kwik-fit or Advance, who also open on Sundays.

Great idea, But having used to work Saturdays and Sundays years ago, I would hate to be working them again. Kinda fecks up family life or heading for some social hours down the pub on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I'd definetly say there is a strong market demand for that. I would definetly use it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I think Richie you'd find that Sundays would probably be quite successful. If not, you can just stop doing them again.

All of the aforementioned supermarkets factor 7 day openings into their prices, its just that the consumer perceives it differently. You couldn't run a business without passing on the extra cost for the convenience to the customer.

So he could either:
    A. Raise the cost of a service altogether to cover his costs on a sunday, in which case you'd be fine with it.
    or
    B. Raise the cost of a service done on a sunday and keep his weekly prices the same.

Hey has to pay his staff Sunday rate at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good idea. I'm confident you'll be busy on Sundays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I reckon you would get enough business on a Sunday not to have to charge a premium amount.
    Lot's of people cannot get the time during the week for servicing so "sunday service" would be a benefit to them.

Great idea OP, best of luck with it if you do decide to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I would definately use a service like that. I work about 12 miles from home, so during the week is a real pain in the ass for me. There's a local independent garage here that services cars on Saturdays and he's doing a roaring trade as far as I can see. I've used him myself :)

craichoe wrote: »
    Hey has to pay his staff Sunday rate at the end of the day.
    There is no legal obligation to pay more on Sunday. As goodwill it is often the case that people will get time off in lieu, which would suit everyone as I'm sure Mondays are quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Well i think it would be a good idea. You may have staff arguing with you, but working out something with them alternating weekends and giving them a decent schedule in advance may keep them on your side! That way you ain’t affecting social lives too much!

I assume your an independent garage.

I usually use a garage down the sticks at the weekend for my sevicing as it suits me because i will more then likely be in that area anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

There is no legal obligation to pay more on Sunday. As goodwill it is often the case that people will get time off in lieu, which would suit everyone as I'm sure Mondays are quiet.

Its got nothing to do with goodwill . Its the law. You can't make anybody work overtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

this is accarsales we are talking about here ? ;)
    if so i know quite a few people that would be happy to get their bmws serviced on a sun. Much more convenient. At the moment you will find you have to turn away business because where accarsales is located is not the easiest to get to during rush hour traffic, so dropping a car in hte morning and picking up in the evening is a pain in the hole.
    A sunday opening would nicely get around rush hour traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Handy of coarse, but they dont need to. They know you're going to get it serviced anyway, probably at the same place, at a time thats less convenient to you rather than them. Also would you pay the increase costs of labour? Id prefer not to.

• Advertisement

groupb wrote: »
    Its got nothing to do with goodwill . Its the law. You can't make anybody work overtime.
    Working on sunday does not equal working overtime.

You need to familise yourself with the law before quoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He's already stated he will not be increasing prices on a Sunday. No point in discussion it any further....

And it might change his mind ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

unkel wrote: »
    He's already stated he will not be increasing prices on a Sunday. No point in discussion it any further....
    ;)

+1

I feel responsible now (cause of the flak) for suggesting that people might be prepared to pay a bit more for weekend work. I stand by it though - if I had to pay €50 more for a service, still costs less than a few hours off work on a weekday.

stevec wrote: »
    +1

I feel responsible now (cause of the flak) for suggesting that people might be prepared to pay a bit more for weekend work. I stand by it though - if I had to pay €50 more for a service, still costs less than a few hours off work on a weekday.
    Or you could service it yourself on a Sunday for less than €50 all in;)

Or you could service it yourself on a Sunday for less than €50 all in;)

doubt it, wouldn't consider working on a sunday for less than €500;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

i think its a good idea...........fair do's.

Just make sure you go to MASS/Church/Service/the mosque in the morning and keep god/Alah on yer side!:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think its a great idea. I have very little time on my hands these days that it may mean that my car can get a proper service rather that DIY soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

you would also be required to pay your staff time and a half for working on a sunday so you might need to factor into your price but good idea

stevec wrote: »
    doubt it, wouldn't consider working on a sunday for less than €500;);)
    You're cheap!

• Advertisement

jjbrien wrote: »
    you would also be required to pay your staff time and a half for working on a sunday so you might need to factor into your price but good idea
    Incorrect.

Advertisement