Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Servicing on Sunday - your thoughts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Enough on the cost / labour laws etc. aspect of working on Sundays. That's not what this thread is about. Further postings of this kind will lead to bannings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Enough on the cost / labour laws etc. aspect of working on Sundays. That's not what this thread is about. Further postings of this kind will lead to bannings
    You might make a statement so on costs etc and put it to bed finally? I would except I'd get banned.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't push it, JHMEG. I dislike banning people and I generally try my best to avoid it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Richieno9

Keep the opinions comin lads.Thanks for all your input so far. Looking like it will be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Richieno9 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I run a garage on the southside of Dublin and have recently being getting a lot of people asking were we open Sunday for work. I have been thinking about opening up for Sunday work but I just wanted to throw it out there and see if it is something that you think is a good idea or not.
    Cheers,
    RIchie

I think if you were to offer late hours you'd be onto a winner. finish at 12 mid night, lots of people would be interested in that rather than a sunday service..I think the tuning factory do a similar thing on thursdays and fridays and are very busy.

Of course the ultimate would be to operate 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sounds like a great idea Richieno9 and Id imagine once word gets out there, you wont be short of customers on a sunday either!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I think it's a good idea too- you can get your car NCT'd on a Sunday so why not serviced too.

Might you run into problems if you need certain unforseen parts on a Sunday - I don't know if motor factors or distributors are open on a Sunday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd happily pay 10% extra for servicing on a sunday. Already paid that for type fitting and tracking as it saved me taking a day off work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Richieno9

If the faceman says its good then its good!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

shanel23 wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea too- you can get your car NCT'd on a Sunday so why not serviced too.

Might you run into problems if you need certain unforseen parts on a Sunday - I don't know if motor factors or distributors are open on a Sunday ?

+1

What if the car needs something unexpected replaced and you dont have it in stock? The car will end up staying in til Monday.

Also, I would imagine that anyone wanting to use your garage specifically will be less likely to book in midweek. You might end up with a lot of spare time on your hands Monday through Friday.

I say try it, see if it works! Plenty of interest from boardsies anyway...

• Advertisement

what was wrong with the after hours servicing I suggested, most people work 9 - 5 I thought from a customer service and profit point of view this would be the best option, most people would prefer to keep their weekends, including mechanics, I've had to take days off to get my car serviced in the past, surely this would be a better option rather than taking up a couple of hours on a sunday. Late night opening for all types of things is very popular in other counties, especially popular for people doing shift work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

what was wrong with the after hours servicing I suggested, most people work 9 - 5 I thought from a customer service and profit point of view this would be the best option, most people would prefer to keep their weekends, including mechanics, I've had to take days off to get my car serviced in the past, surely this would be a better option rather than taking up a couple of hours on a sunday. Late night opening for all types of things is very popular in other counties, especially popular for people doing shift work.

Personally, it would be at least 2 hours after finishing work before I'd get home, pick up the car and back to the garage, so that's 9PM before we even get started. That could be cutting it close for anything over a small job. I'd find it much easier to put aside time on a Sunday, but that's just me though.

let say you drop the car off in the evening and collect it the next morning. As a matter of interest do you wait in the garage while your car is being serviced.?

I usually drop it off and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

let say you drop the car off in the evening and collect it the next morning.

If that was an option, then I'd just leave it in some morning during the week. I've no parking at work, so I can neither drive it in for an evening appointment, nor pick it up in the morning and go to work. Weekends are my only realistic option.
    As a matter of interest do you wait in the garage while your car is being serviced.?

I usually drop it off and go home.

I pretty much have to hang around as I live too far away from the garage. It doesn't bother me too much as AC have a nice waiting area, plus I just bring my laptop and do some work or something.

yeah suppose it would suit people in urban rather than rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Richie open a little coffee shop as well and sell papers and really finish of the Sunday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JHMEG wrote: »
    Or you could service it yourself on a Sunday for less than €50 all in;)

ooh, that'll be interesting. Oil at Eur 35/ 4L, Oil Filter Eur 9, Plugs Eur10.

So, you don't do air/fuel filters, then..........?

Guess which 'fsh' history Santa Fe to avoid in years to come, then.......:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote: »
    ooh, that'll be interesting. Oil at Eur 35/ 4L, Oil Filter Eur 9, Plugs Eur10.

So, you don't do air/fuel filters, then..........?

Guess which 'fsh' history Santa Fe to avoid in years to come, then.......:rolleyes:
    These get done every service which is every 6000 miles:
    Oil €24 for 5L (Maxol 10W40 SS).
    Oil filter €8 (OEM, not spurious)

The car only takes 3.5L so every one service in four I don't need to buy oil.

These get done every 3 to 4 services depending on when needed as :
    Plugs €18 (NGK. €4.50 x 4)
    Air filter €30 (again, OEM)

Fuel filter is every 120,000 miles in my car according to the manufacturer.

Average cost is about €50, maybe even less.

I dunno what you're rolling your eyes at? The car gets well looked after -- it gets serviced more often than recommended by the manufacturer (9,000 miles), using only OEM and quality parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

NBar wrote: »
    Richie open a little coffee shop as well and sell papers and really finish of the Sunday morning :D

This is the best idea of them all, why dealers dont provide this service I dont know. A small coffee in a dealers would make a mint.

I think Sunday isnt a bad idea but I think opening on Saturdays should be sufficent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

kluivert wrote: »
    This is the best idea of them all, why dealers dont provide this service I dont know. A small coffee in a dealers would make a mint.

I think Sunday isnt a bad idea but I think opening on Saturdays should be sufficent enough.

I know two dealers in Dublin who provide coffee and biscuits and the days papers and car mags

• Advertisement
Advertisement