Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband - Questions

Options
  • 19-03-2008 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Right, im in Ireland for 6 months so want a decent enough connection so i can play Xbox Live, so my questions are: -

1. Is UTV Broadband adequate to play XBOX Live?

2. Is this a plug and play broadband connection? - I dont have a phone line, so would like to just plug it into my usb and away i go???

I just basically need a plug and play wireless broadband, dont want any connections or lines. Anyone advise anything?

UTV Broadband link ... http://www1.u.tv/UTV_Internet/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/index.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I have UTV clicksilver with two 360's on it with no issues, UTV only supply DSL so phone line will be required, the wireless that they are offering is a free BT voyager ADSL router using your phone line.......as for wireless for gaming, I also have ICE BB 4Mb/2Mb gaming broadband but the ping is too loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg for gaming, I.E. sometimes latency is 700ms, if it goes over 100-125 ms then forget XboxLive.
    The general feeling is if its not wired or piped then forget gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

I have UTV clicksilver with two 360's on it with no issues, UTV only supply DSL so phone line will be required, the wireless that they are offering is a free BT voyager ADSL router using your phone line.......as for wireless for gaming, I also have ICE BB 4Mb/2Mb gaming broadband but the ping is too loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg for gaming, I.E. sometimes latency is 700ms, if it goes over 100-125 ms then forget XboxLive.
    The general feeling is if its not wired or piped then forget gaming.

Can you advise any Irish broadband companies that dont require a phone line?

Tom, where are you based, the governments website will tell you what'available to you in your area.......wireless is not good for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

Tom, where are you based, the governments website will tell you what'available to you in your area.......wireless is not good for gaming.

Blanch.

Do you have any links to this website?

I have been told that wireless is manageable for Gaming.

Only thing is i dont have a phone line so need a plug and play 6 month connection.

Hi Tom, here is the link http://www.broadband.gov.ie/, I have wireless with ICE, but there minimum contract is 1 yr and also you can't use it between 6pm and 1am ish, maybe ripwave or the likes, try harvey norman or PCWorld for the BB in a box, but honestly wireless is really useless for gaming, expect to get owned on COD and RB6V........it happened to me, dsl or NTL is the only way to go, do you not have a cable connection into the house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

wireless is not good for gaming.

:rolleyes: I disagree, some wireless broadband has a much greater upload speed & lower ping than dsl.

Really depends on the provider, but I know loads of gamers (including my brother) who swear by it for the 512k upload, i only get 384k(<300k actual) with a 3Mb dsl connection, his ping is 19ms, mine is 42ms to the same server. I've also got a friend who hosted a 16 player COD4 game on 1024/512 wireless without any lag.

I know what you mean Pog, I have 4Mb down 2Mb up, great when it works, you seen my post on how low can you go 68kbps down and a ping of 500ms ish, certainly not good good gaming, too unstable, I only have experience of ICE and if you want you post on the ICE thread and inform there that Wireless is best for gaming and you will get some proof about the service not being the best for gaming, I have COD 4 on the 360, PC and PS3 and have never played a game with " no " lag, you only have to look at the Infinity Ward forum and you will see its a major issue that the last patch helped but never cured.

I know what you mean Pog, I have 4Mb down 2Mb up, great when it works, you seen my post on how low can you go 68kbps down and a ping of 500ms ish, certainly not good good gaming, too unstable, I only have experience of ICE and if you want you post on the ICE thread and inform there that Wireless is best for gaming and you will get some proof about the service not being the best for gaming, I have COD 4 on the 360, PC and PS3 and have never played a game with " no " lag, you only have to look at the Infinity Ward forum and you will see its a major issue that the last patch helped but never cured.

Don't blame wireless, blame your sh1tty provider for an overcontended service & an installion with a bad signal. I'm just saying wireless can and does work well if approached correctly by a provider.
    I'll get my friend to post about the games he's hosting, cant comment really when i wasn't playing

Pog, I'm not blaming wireless as the equipment is good, the signal is good as I can touch the mast, but your right it is contention even though mine is 20:1 on 4Mb/2Mb, when it works its brilliant, the 2Mb up is excellent, it even feels faster than my works 10Mb up and down connection, I like it so much when its good that I keep giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will eventually get it right, but I must say when its bad, which is way too often, its really bad, virtually unuseable and extremely frustrating, I'm sure you've read the ICE thread. Also "hosts" never see lag as its virtually played on their machine, I've hosted many games and I'm never as bad as normal, just bad at COD4, when not the host I'm really bad! I just feel wireless is too unstable for gaming due to not being wired or piped, look at the gaming forums, most will agree. Anyway Pog we're well of topic and risk getting arrested! lol. Maybe you can tell the wireless provider that your mate is using successfully and if its available in Blanch? This will help the OP out, and others in the same situation, as this is what this is meant to be about! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Im using westnet, no good to OP as its only available in western counties.
    1Mb/512k. Its excellent for gaming. Pog thought I was playing cod4 but it was warhawk that I hosted a 16 player game. ping is about 25 on speedtest.

btw, Ive had many games of COD4 with no lag whatsoever, but lots of unplayable ones too. Infinity Ward need to get their finger out and sort out the servers.
    sorry..off topic:eek:

• Advertisement

...........but your right it is contention even though mine is 20:1 on 4Mb/2Mb

Thats my point, they might tell you the contention is 20:1, doesn't sound like it actually is, and there is nobody to regulate it. Remember Comreg don't regulate broadband.

Advertisement