Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought Car from NI - Need to pay VRT (Advice!)

Options
  • 19-03-2008 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've just bought a car from the North. I'm picking it up this Friday and will need to pay the VRT on it, i'm looking to do this on the coming TUesday.

Just wondering what types of payment the vrt office takes? How long the process usually takes, ie do they do a long inspection on the car? Also, any clues where abouts in Tallaght its located?

THanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From the charter & FAQ sticky

St John's House, High Street, Tallaght, Dublin 24
    Monday to Friday
    09.30 – 12.45;
    14.00 – 16.00
    01-4149700
    01-4149720
    01-4149730
    southcountyvrt@revenue.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Cheers,

THanks for that. Will give them a call and see what payment they accept

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt1.htm

this link gives you payments they accept, I vrt'ed a car last week at Tallaght and paid with a personal cheque, they need your PPS number and you must register car at your normal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

ianomccabe wrote: »
    Cheers,

THanks for that. Will give them a call and see what payment they accept

Any type of tender they can get the grubby mits i'd guess. Cash, Laser or draft i should suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

GavMan wrote: »
    Any type of tender they can get the grubby mits i'd guess. Cash, Laser or draft i should suspect.

Nope. No cash accepted. Been like this for some time now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

GavMan wrote: »

i don't think they take laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

They only accept Laser up to certain amounts-€1500.

Otherwise draft or cheque.

If you have a draft and the amount is more than what they quote you on the day they cannot give you change-you have to get a draft for the correct amount and come back AFAIK-not sure if they will process your refund and send it out later by cheque.

The inspection isn't really that long-they have a list of things they tick off.

Thats a pain in the @rse as i dont have a chequebook.

I don't want to end up getting a draft and find out they're going to charge me less. Could pay laser but its in around €4,800 so its too high.

Might see if they'll allow me get a draft for 4k and pay the rest by laser. Tried calling them there but surprise surprise they're on an early lunch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

have a look at https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator
    and as long as you put in the correct model/spec, the price quoted will be very close to what they will ask at the VRO, although they might look for more for Extras like leather, sunroof etc.

you do realise that the VRT system is changing on the 1st of July 08 to a CO2 emissions based system, it might be worth it waiting until then to "import" it, depending on the CO2 emissions of the Car:
    http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp

Thanks for that. Yes i was aware of the change in regulation and from what i can see i will be slightly better importing the car now rather than waiting until after July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Thanks for that. Yes i was aware of the change in regulation and from what i can see i will be slightly better importing the car now rather than waiting until after July

Fair enough, sounds like you’ve done your homework.

Regarding VRT, it’s a scandal in this day and age that the VRO don’t take VISA/Laser.

How can they expect you to get one draft cheque and then ask for another? If their figure is wrong.
    Totally crazy, considering its money for nothing:mad:

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Fair enough, sounds like you’ve done your homework.

Regarding VRT, it’s a scannal in this day and age that the VRO don’t take VISA/Laser.

How can they expect you to get one draft cheque and then ask for another? If their figure is wrong.
    Totally crazy, considering its money for nothing:mad:

I would have imagined that they would have taken laser. Can understand them not taking Cash but would have thought cards were ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Tried calling them there but surprise surprise they're on an early lunch :D

If you actually get them on the phone can you conference me in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

They accept laser in Naas, I paid my vrt there a few months ago.

Was the laser only up to a value of €1500 though? THats what website says.

They replied to an email earlier, couldnt believe that! Thought i'd have more chance on the phones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

jesus things have changed, 3 years ago i vrt'd a celica, paid cash and no inspection, 2 years ago i vrt'd a mr2, again paid cash and no inspection.
    (maybe they dont inspect older cars, 10yr old)

When i done it, if you went on the ros.ie site that morning and got the vrt price, they had to accept what the internet site said, but it was always the same as they quoted in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Laser cards have a limit of 1500 in one transaction anywhere, but I think you can do another transaction straight away for 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Was in the Santry VRO today. It clearly says that they only accept Laser up to €1,500. Mine was over that so had to write a personal cheque.

I can appreciate your frustration as cheque books are becomming a thing of the past so I'm not surpirsed some people don't bother with them. I use mine rarely these days.

Advertisement