Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant buy a domain name as I am not a registered company?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to buy two domain names, but have been told that I am not allowed to due to constraints of Irish Domain Registration laws. I tried with register365.com and when I asked the online support agent if I would be able to buy soundtrack.ie for my use as a "natural person" rather than a business, he said I would most likely not be allowed as I do not run a business that needs that domain name - or something along those lines

I currently write music for free for people for films, computer games etc - music for media basically. Now Irish domain laws, from what I can see, basically state that if you are just a "natural person" and not a registered business, you may only have yourname.com, or yourlastname.com or any combination of your name.com

Am I missing something here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Take a look here for IEDR reg policy: http://www.iedr.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php

You could always reg a business name with the CRO (20 yo-yos) - it's easy to do - www.cro.ie.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

giddyup wrote: »
    Take a look here for IEDR reg policy: http://www.iedr.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php

You could always reg a business name with the CRO (20 yo-yos) - it's easy to do - www.cro.ie.

HTH

If I do that, do I not have to file tax returns, and get an accountant to do my accounts every year no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Hi,
    I'm trying to buy two domain names, but have been told that I am not allowed to due to constraints of Irish Domain Registration laws.

They're rules not laws. Overly restrictive rules imo.
    I currently write music for free for people for films, computer games etc - music for media basically. Now Irish domain laws, from what I can see, basically state that if you are just a "natural person" and not a registered business, you may only have yourname.com, or yourlastname.com or any combination of your name.com

Am I missing something here?

This only affects the .ie domains. You can register whatever .com, .net, .org you want - no rules apply. Just go to digiweb, hosting365, blacknight or one of the other registrars to get one of those.

However if you want a .ie then you could apply for one under a Personal Trading Name. However, you need a VAT number which you probably don't have. So the only other option is a discretionary name. See Category 11 in the IEDR link from Giddyup.

Macros42 wrote: »
    They're rules not laws. Overly restrictive rules imo.

This only affects the .ie domains. You can register whatever .com, .net, .org you want - no rules apply. Just go to digiweb, hosting365, blacknight or one of the other registrars to get one of those.

However if you want a .ie then you could apply for one under a Personal Trading Name. However, you need a VAT number which you probably don't have. So the only other option is a discretionary name. See Category 11 in the IEDR link from Giddyup.

yea unfortunately both .ie domains that I want are unavailable for .com

I will just have to go for myname.com and register as a company down the road when I start making money from it and then get a proper name for it

Ah well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I will just have to go for myname.com and register as a company down the road when I start making money from it and then get a proper name for it

Ah well :)

Try it anyway. Did you read that Discretionary name category? After re-reading your post it was only a support drone that said this. He/she doesn't make the decision - it's only an opinion. Apply for it anyway. Just write a letter supporting your application with some examples of your past work if possible. The worst they can do is say no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

there was a piece on the rte news about 2 months ago where they said they intend to make changes to the .ie registration process so as to make it easier for irish people to register their domain names. they are doing it becuase with the increase in everything online they had been inundated with people wanting to register their own name as a domain, i.e. joebloggs.ie, and obvioulsy without being registered as a business name first they couldnt do this. might be worth looking in to.

i know when registering they are very strict and they used to except one of two thing:

A) the cert to say that you have xxxx.ie registered as either your business name or a brand under your business name.

or

B) a letter from your solicitor or accountant stating that you trade under the name xxxxx and therefore can register xxxx.ie

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You might be better off asking in the Web Design forum. I was looking into this a few months ago underthis thread there.

You can try applying for a discretionary name, you'd need to write an explanation of why you think you're entitled to it, and there's no guarantee that you'd get it. But if you look at .ie domain names, not all of them are registered with the CRO, so they are sometimes allowed. One thing to check if doing this is whether the registrar you go through will refund your fee if ti's rejected - I've no idea if any do this, or if it's common practice.

Otherwise, you can register a business name for €20 if you do it online at the CRO. This is just a business name, not a company registration, as far as I know there is no obligation to file accounts etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Neither do you need a VAT number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mountain

hiya,

register the name as a company, its fairly easy,
    2 advantages, you will be able to get the web address, and secondly you will also have the company name, just in case someone else takes it.

I did the same for myself, as its not a trading company, i dont have to fill in returns or anything like that.

Hmm sounds good so

One last question - does the business name have to be the same as the website you want to get - say I want soundtrack.ie - do I have to make a business called "soundtrack" or can I have any business name and just say that soundtrack.ie is suitable for my business needs rather than thebusinessname.com ?

Thanks for all the help :)

• Advertisement

Actually I see the answer here:

For a registered business name:
    • You can add words to the registered business name
    • You can register domains that have a reasonable connection with their business
    • You can register abbreviations of the registered business name.

Advertisement