Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your breasts - merge

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Yes. Definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

yes, but not as much as I should.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I do examine my own breasts, but probably not as often as I should. After having a baby, your breasts aren't the same anyway and never will be. I have an aunt who is currently on chemotherapy. She had breast cancer 2 years ago, had a mastectomy and some lymph glands removed, had radiotherapy and chemotherapy to beat the band, but its come back into her other breast. Another aunt died of breast cancer in 1985. My Mam and her other 6 sisters now have to have tests to see if they're carrying a genetic propensity to it. My sister and I and all of our female cousins will have to do the same if tests come back positive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I'm aware that I should check but I don't really.

No one in my family has ever had breast cancer - I think if they did you'd be more breast aware. I think I'd notice a lump (or my bf would :p ) but apart from that I wouldn't know what to look for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

embee wrote: »
    My Mam and her other 6 sisters now have to have tests to see if they're carrying a genetic propensity to it. My sister and I and all of our female cousins will have to do the same if tests come back positive :(
    That's a good thing.

All of my family on my mother's have to have regular tests for Bowel Cancer because her dad, and some other relations, died from it. Apparently it skips a generation too :eek:

I'm glad we're being tested for it every so often, if it means they catch it early and there's less chance of not being diagnosed until it's too late.

There's no reason why all womem shouldn't be breast aware. It's easy to check, and even if you don't know how to do it there is a wealth of information available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

History of Cancer in my family also.

Towards the end of last year I noticed a lump on my breast, I was refered to the breast clinic, I had my visit in the centre and it was a very quick efficient service.
    I was not suitable for Mamogram as I was told I was too young for it and that younger peoples breast tissue was not suitable.. So I got an ultrasound done.

The doctor was 90% sure everything was fine, But just to be sure he brought me back in to have a biopsy done..

This was done about 2 weeks later I was in and out within 45 mins...

Got the all clear, thank god, It was just put down to hormonal changes after pregancy and breast feeding..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I do check them but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for! My breasts always feel pretty lumpy and bumpy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Yes I do check from time to time - I think the idea is to find something that's in anyway unusual as in hasn't been felt before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

ya its really important to know that they feel different at different times of the month too so to get used to the changes so you wont freak out if you find something. but i see know reason why everyone shouldnt be breast aware even if it doesnt run in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ms_Taurus

mine are small enough to notice any changes like they are noticeably uneven i've noticed them change over the years, so i would say i am aware of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Yes I check mine. There's no history of cancer in my family, but the women in my family do have a history of having small benign lumps called fibroadenomas. I had one removed from my right breast in 2006. I have a very small one in my left breast currently that my doctor is keeping an eye on. It's very difficult to feel in a self breast exam because it's so small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Not really though I probably should. My grandmother is in remission from breast cancer. Hers was a hormone based tumour probably (though not 100% certain) caused by HRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

Yep. I'm very breast aware. I found a huge lump in my breast when I was pregnant. I hadn't been looking, and was quite shocked, I was only 21 at the time.
    The removed it after I had my daughter and thankfully it was benign, but I do make sure to check when i have a shower, I do it with out thinking now.
    I made a point then of getting all the women I knew to have "prod" so they'd know what to look for themselves.
    Feel-up-tastic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Have to be honest and say I never check my breasts. Very negligent of me. I did once watch a video of "how to" on youtube but the couple of times I've tried I've never known what I was looking for as there are loads of little bumps and beads from what I felt. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Before the second out of nine sisters in my Mams family got breast cancer, my Mam would have been very blasé about breast checking. She was of the opinion that, because she'd had children, her risk for breast cancer was greatly decreased. Whilst it is true that you are more likely to get breast cancer if you haven't had children, it certainly isn't a given that you won't get it because you have. A lot of my Mams sisters would have thought the same.

Unfortunately, both aunts who have had breast cancer both had children. The one who died in the 80's was 38 when she died, and had 2 sons. The lady who is now battling breast cancer is a mother of 7 and a grandmother of 4.

I've since discovered, much to my alarm, that my Dads mother died when he was only 6. I asked Dad this evening what she died of, and he said "Breast cancer - sure all her sisters were the same". So it would seem that its in both sides of my family. I feel like I should get tested anyway. Its hard to look at my 2 year old daughter and not wonder whether her genetic make-up is hiding a ticking time bomb :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Papillon87 wrote: »
    Have to be honest and say I never check my breasts. Very negligent of me. I did once watch a video of "how to" on youtube but the couple of times I've tried I've never known what I was looking for as there are loads of little bumps and beads from what I felt. :confused:

That would be your lymph nodes and mild glands in your breasts.

The idea being that you learn what is normal for your breasts,
    what is standard for you lumps and bumps and sizes and then if there is a change you can notice the difference keep track and go to the dr.

http://www2.vhi.ie/topic/selfexam

How to do a self exam.

If you go to the doctor, can you just ask her to do a breast exam for you? I wouldn't have a clue what is normal for me but there are lots of lumps and bumps. Not sure which ones might be worth checking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Yes I check mine. There's no history of cancer in my family, but the women in my family do have a history of having small benign lumps called fibroadenomas. I had one removed from my right breast in 2006. I have a very small one in my left breast currently that my doctor is keeping an eye on. It's very difficult to feel in a self breast exam because it's so small.

+1

I have one removed in 2001, it sounds gas but I only checked coz I'd seen it done in an old episode of Beverly Hills 90210!!! :p
    The two weeks waiting for the results were the scariest of my life!!
    But the relief of getting the all clear was Amazing!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

The one tip i would say is to feel not with the tips of your fingers but with the palm of your hand. Your breasts are made up of fatty tissues so will feel a little bumpie to the touch. But if in doubt, yes your doc will check them for you. I get it done everytime i go!

DesF wrote: »
    That's a good thing.

All of my family on my mother's have to have regular tests for Bowel Cancer because her dad, and some other relations, died from it. Apparently it skips a generation too :eek:

I'm glad we're being tested for it every so often, if it means they catch it early and there's less chance of not being diagnosed until it's too late.

There's no reason why all womem shouldn't be breast aware. It's easy to check, and even if you don't know how to do it there is a wealth of information available.

As a man, do you check yourself regular for testicular growths?

• Advertisement

Jules wrote: »
    I get it done everytime i go!

Ya filthy whore!

LadyJ wrote: »
    Ya filthy whore!

Yeah , Cope a feel of the lads Doc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jules wrote: »
    As a man, do you check yourself regular for testicular growths?
    As a man, I'm always having a bit of a rummage.:D

Seriously, probably not as regularly as I should be, but doing a proper testicle check can be quite painful (not as painful as testicular cancer I'd hazard though :rolleyes:).

You're supposed to do it after a shower, when it's all a bit "looser" and "dangly", but that's a bit hard to get on these freezing cold winter mornings/evenings.

Prostate Cancer exam though :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cheeky finger ftw.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

embee wrote: »
    I've since discovered, much to my alarm, that my Dads mother died when he was only 6. I asked Dad this evening what she died of, and he said "Breast cancer - sure all her sisters were the same". So it would seem that its in both sides of my family. I feel like I should get tested anyway. Its hard to look at my 2 year old daughter and not wonder whether her genetic make-up is hiding a ticking time bomb :(

My father's mother died of breast cancer and so did his sister/my aunt. I've raised this with a few doctors and all have assured me that I need only be concerned if the breast cancer was on my mother's side of the family. Unfortunately for you that isn't the case.

With regard to being breast aware, i do try to regularly complete a breast check but I'm not as vigilent as I should be

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Great thread, Quality.

Breat checks FTW :D

Your doc will have no problem checking your breasts, even if you think it's something silly.

Makes such a huge difference if found early.

Perverts like Jules presenting weekly for a check make every day an uphill battle, though :p

You lot love it, but on a serious note, i don't see an issue, my male doc does my smears fo me too. He is a professional and how often would he see a womans bits.

How often do you (ladies that is) get smear tests?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

I was at the hospital today getting results of a biopsy, thankfully it was benign.

I found a lump on my breast 2 weeks ago, went straight to my doctor. I knew it was not there long as I tend to check myself every few weeks. He sent me for a ultrasound and the Doctor in the hospital took a deep core biopsy.

The lump has to be removed as it is over 3cm, and it is advised lumps should be removed at that size.

What I am saying is, I was terrified when I found the lump but as I have found out roughly 80% of lumps are benign and those lumps that are not, once caught early have a better chance of being sorted.

So girls, please do check yourselves...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Very good point Lucy Lu. There are lots of women that hang about at home after finding a lump. They're terrified to go to the doc in case it's something serious.

But it's true that the vast majority of lumps are nothing. Docs are pretty careful about them, and you'll probably get sent for tests, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong.

So, if you find something, don't sit at home worrying yourself sick. Go tot he doc and get your mind put at ease.

Nicely said Lucy and so glad to hear your well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

excellent thread, quality. i think it's been a couple of years, since we had a talk in school about checking our breasts that i've actually done it. i know i should, but just don't really think about it. as for smears... im avoiding those too... :/

im terrible i know, and i should know better, given my family history with cancer... sure i had to get half my thyroid gland removed due to malignant growth when i was only 17... (or maybe 18... i think i was due for surgery at 17, but kept procrastinating it, and eventually when it was due to be done... i managed to get 'flu... and it was postponed again... it's amazing what you can achieve if you want something bad enough...)...

Advertisement