Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numb feet after 4/5 miles

• 19-03-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hi guys,
    Im not sure if this is something v weird but after 4/5 miles running, I am getting numb feet consistently. Is this normal? I know that feet swell after running. My runners are a snug fit before i start running so after 4/5 miles they may be constricing blood flow. Not sure...

Anyone have these symtoms?? any advise to stop this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Hi seanom78

When I first started running over 5km I used to suffer from this at around this distance too.
    When it happened I would reduce my pace untill I passed. Make sure you don't over tighten your laces as I found this would contribute to the problem.
    I dont suffer from this anyone but it took some weeks perhaps two months before it disappeared fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Take a look at this advice from runners world:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=482

There are many other like it too and many ways to tie laces, it is likely that you are too tight somewhere around your feet, maybe the above can help. I saw some more shoe lace tips in a Jeff Galloway's book on running too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Take a look at this advice from runners world:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=482

There are many other like it too and many ways to tie laces, it is likely that you are too tight somewhere around your feet, maybe the above can help. I saw some more shoe lace tips in a Jeff Galloway's book on running too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i got the exact same thing when i was running first, i tried loosening runners , taking off socks ,running slower ,running faster ,using deep heat on feet before runs . it eventually went when i changed runners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

When you buy your runners, try to buy them half a size bigger as your feet swell up a little bit during runs. You should feel your thumb when trying on and there should be a little bit of extra room above the toe line. Also, go with thin sports socks (I use the 1000 mile sock) and not those thick cotton ones. Lacing is important too - check out this interactive tutorial from a sports brand on how to lace up:
    http://www.newbalance.com/techcenter/lacing.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 seanom78

Thanks guys, I loosened the laces on the runnig shoes and im wearing thinner socks and the numbness is gone!

However, I now have sore shins again, the dreaded splints are back. Im jinxed at the moment. I did a 5 miler yesterday, shins were sore after 1 mile but they normally loosen out. This time they just got worse and i had to walk in. shins are swollen and sore today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

How old are the runners? I had all sorts of injuries last year until i changed from a pair of Lidl's to asics, within a few days i was fine and no probs since.I tried taking time etc and wearing supports but the change of runners solved all probs immediately.The Lidl ones were fine for 4-5 months initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seanom78

Runners are 2 months old. I got pretty good adidad ones from a reputable shop who measured up my foot type etc. id be pretty pi**ed off it it was my runners but it could well be.
    I thought shin spints were pretty common tho?

Advertisement