Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Cap Poll

Options
  • 19-03-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok since the caps on peoples BB connection seem to be a hot topic at the moment it would be good to see who exactly is affected by these caps.

Personally, I assume I go over the cap every month, but since i've never cared about it I never check, i just download when I want to download. I've never been charged anything extra or been contacted by any of my ISP's.

If you have chosen option 4, "Yes and i've been charged" can you give any details in regard to how much you where charged and who was the ISP

Do you exceed you BB cap? 124 votes

No, I monitor my usage and never go over my cap
    0%
    No, I assume I don't go over my cap and don't monitor it
    20%
    ReconnilhgTheFatjoolsveerednwirelandShamoLafortezzaoisinSirLemonheadNeoRoxoklapaddykccRangeRFiretrapmuckwarriorCorkfeenDaemonicAntonius.Primehellboy99 26 votes
    Yes, but i've never been charged
    22%
    acousPraetorianSkepticOnesideshowsueleonlafritecdebruCrowdedHouseJohnC.andrewieBrendanDpaulm17781Thomas_S_Hunterson00sullyFreddie59BooShankIrishdudedaveJonathanciano1copeyhagenDregon 28 votes
    Yes, and i've been charged/warned for going over my cap
    42%
    YakuzaTazzleCrashkaimerabalkieb2002suppaflyMisterAnarchy[Deleted User]tommycahirJackzmarcphistoShamroguevectrawheresmybeaverslave1IagoDavey DevilKazuqBotemaherx 53 votes
    I'm still on a 56k modem and like paying by the minute
    13%
    Drag00n79carrotcakeblobertOwenMpaulyxMistmyrriceySteffano2002GrumPychristophicusJPAantorFearDarkFreudianSlippersmgsrocksNehaxaknoddy1909 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I don't have a cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I don't have a cap either, might be worth adding that option to the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I don't have a cap.

crap, I can't add a poll option :confused: who are you with? maybe click "yes but don't get charged".

EDIT: Irish GrumPy, can you detail which ISP charged you for going over your cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

PM a mod. They might do it for you.

I'm with Smart, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

IBB Breeze don't have a cap either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i have no cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Not 100% sure what my cap is actually.

BT LLU...when I ordered I was told 80gigs...posts here say 30gigs....online moniter says 30.

If it's 80, I haven't gone over it but I've blown thru 30 quite a bit.

I'm interested to hear from the 2 people who got charged/warned. I've only ever heard of it happening once and that was someone who was on UTV, and this was years back around 2000 and he was using ISDN.

I'm sure people would like to know what ISP's are charging and what it takes to actually get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I didn't go over my cap while I was monitoring it, but the monitor page hasn't worked for me for months, so I can't monitor it any more. I'm sure I don't go over it though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No cap here either, with Smart. That said, I don't think I download any more than 30GB per month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

No cap for me :D
    im on basic premanet package

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Im with eircom, went over it once and got charged an extra €8 on my phone bill. Went over it again a goood bit in febuary so im interested to see if they charge me.

Tought it was really unfair though, loads of people on here say they go over there cap by 10/20 GB every month and nothing happens, i go over it once and get penalised.

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Im with eircom, went over it once and got charged an extra €8 on my phone bill. Went over it again a goood bit in febuary so im interested to see if they charge me.

when did they charge you? Was it recently? Also did they give you a warning the month before they charged you?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

L31mr0d wrote: »
    when did they charge you? Was it recently? Also did they give you a warning the month before they charged you?

It was last year, think june. No warning about it and it was the first and only time I went over the cap. Had only myself to blame, I saw my stats and knew I was going to go over but kept downloading things anyway. thought I'd get away with it but didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'm with NTL and have gone over by a few gigabytes the past two months. No word on charges though.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

IBB DSL - No cap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

On the BT 2mb package which seems to have a 20GB cap - I've gone over that by a country mile this month but frankly hadn't been checking the link in a long time before now so can't say if I had before.

I'd imagine I have, given that my average monthly download (which I get by dividing the amount of months I've been connected by the total dl amount) is around 18GB, and I've never been charged or warned.

Will be interested to see if that changes this month. Hopefully it won't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

What's a BB Cap??? :)

P.S.
    I'm with Smart, so ... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Simple answer Move to Smart = NO CAP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'm with NTL and yes I used to go over the cap quite a bit. There was one time when NTL sent out letters en mass to everyone that went over the cap , warning that not to do it, but that seems to have been a once off phenomenon. And yes I did recieve the letter. I am positive that I have exceeded the 40 GB cap since then at least 10 times though and I have not heard from them since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

No cap,

Net1, Wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Have Clearwire 1MB package and 10gb cap have gone through it a few times but there was no charges they simply dropped my connection speed down to dial up speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Can someone explain how you could even download 40GB in a month - if you're obeying the law?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Watching tv online, downloading game demos, buying games digitally etc. And you can download movies legally now too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Simple answer Move to Smart = NO CAP

Not that simple when it isn't available:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Can someone explain how you could even download 40GB in a month - if you're obeying the law?:confused:

Very very easy if you have a family or multiple users, Kids watching Youtube can tear through bandwidth very quick. Buying games digitally also eats up bandwidth very quickly, as I type this I have a 6GB game downloading that I purchased digitally. I personally think that people who can stay under the smaller caps just aren't using broadband for what its capable of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Very very easy if you have a family or multiple users, Kids watching Youtube can tear through bandwidth very quick. Buying games digitally also eats up bandwidth very quickly, as I type this I have a 6GB game downloading that I purchased digitally. I personally think that people who can stay under the smaller caps just aren't using broadband for what its capable of.
    Hell, my steam folder is at 10GBs, all the games in it were free downloads or free gift from people who bought the orange pack and had a spare copy of half life 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Im on bt 3mb as far as I am concerned I have no cap, I have been going over 60gb every month for the last 2 years and never charged...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

silvine wrote: »
    And you can download movies legally now too ;)

yes you can, itunes, bittorrent.com but both of them and other services can only be used in the states, what services are you referring to that can be used legally in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

why do they have caps there only putting people off getting broadband
    its a waist of time

IBB NO CAP

WELL DONE TO THE COMPANIES THAT HAVE NO CAPS THEY CARE ABOUT THERE CUSTOMERS

Advertisement