Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy your tofu?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Have tried Superquinn, Tesco & Dunnes. No luck. My local Chinese supermarket sells it but only in huge packs that I'd never get through. Do they have it in the Asia Market in Drury St?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

You should be able to get it in that asian market or at the food stall half way through the Georges Arcade market. I get it in my local Dunnes (Sandyford) and think its usually available in all supermarkets. Don't buy the cartons of tofu, the ones like little custard pack, buy the larger plastic packs (they're not huge). Its much better quality and if you've any left over fry it up in cubes with chili, garlic and scallions, and a good squirt of soy sauce and some oyster sauce if you have it - delicious snack

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Funny, Drury Street is the one I always buy it from! I buy it in bulk and have frozen it in the past without any fanfare or problems, so don't let the large blocks put you off.

Tesco sells some (in a carton) with their blue dragon range of chinese sauces I forget the brand name- and I have seen the Cauldron range in most supermarkets. I find that brand very overpriced though, and for some reason I am always starving about an hour after I eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks. My local Tesco & Dunnes (Crumlin) don't sell it and Superquinn nearby only do the Tofu spread for some strange reason! Was always wary of freezing it but if it works for you I might give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I think its much nicer to eat after its been frozen and defrosted, the texture of it changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I'm not so sure about those Natural Green and whatever the other one is in the Asian shops, seemed to smell a bit off or something the last time I got it...

I tried one of the little €1.10 packs of the stuff from the drury st. shop and it was fine. I'd like to know how they prepare the seasoned tofu in Blazing Salads, often it's very salty but the texture is very good.

• Advertisement

biZrb wrote: »
    I think its much nicer to eat after its been frozen and defrosted, the texture of it changes.

+1

Plain tofu is alot of effort and tofu isn't as good in Ireland as it is elsewhere. It isnt as firm and it doesn't crisp the same.
    I much prefer to buy something from the Taifun range as it already flavoured. Any decent healthfood shop has Taifun.

http://taifun-tofu.de/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Ah, I've gotten those natural green tubs a few times from the chinese food shop - no problems. I've never looked in tesco for tofu - health food shops are my stockist :) and as said - freezing works nicely. and the texture does change (read it in a big book of tofu!.... endless recipes...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Moonbaby wrote: »
    +1

Plain tofu is alot of effort and tofu isn't as good in Ireland as it is elsewhere. It isnt as firm and it doesn't crisp the same.
    I much prefer to buy something from the Taifun range as it already flavoured. Any decent healthfood shop has Taifun.

http://taifun-tofu.de/en/

I love this brand! I get my tofu in Nourish on Wicklow Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cunning-doll

Listons on Camden St is my favourite place to get it! They stock at least 6/7 different types. THe only problem is that they only get it in once a week and it tends to disappear quite quickly. I love the basil one, perfect texture and if you marinade it in a bit of soy sauce its amazing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frecklz

Accidentally found some in Tesco recently - I think it was blue dragon or one of those. In the stir-fry section anyway. SuperQuinn do a dessert version - not sure how it's different. Actually it was definitely blue dragon - I remember the packet!

What does everyone do with theirs - stir-fries? Anything else? Would love some ideas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Get mine from the Oriental supermarket at the Jervis Luas stop. I think its €1.50 for 750g.

Freezing it does indeed make it much better!

I love scrambled tofu - check out www.theppk.com for the low down on it. Bake it in the oven after soaking it in soy sauce ect for about 30-40 mins, make fake ricotta. There are loads of things to do with it. Mango and ginger tofu from Vegan with a vengance is lovely.

Advertisement