Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoning Garda HQ

Options
  • 19-03-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can people just ring Garda HQ to find out the status of
    a Firearms application?

ie if your local station cant help and you ring the main Garda HQ in Phoenix Park
    is there any division that you can be transferred to that can let you know if
    our application is being processed or not.

My main concern would be if HQ actually recieved my application from my Local station.

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Nothing to stop you ringing them it's a free country and maybe it would speed up things a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Typical!! Just like my local station No Answer when I ring!!

Have I got the correct number 01 666 0000 ?
    Thats whats in the phone book (but its an old phone book)

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

01 666 2445
    thats computer firearms, the guys n gals that print the license and that sort of craic, have your pulse ID handy, ask for 'Margaret' i think, Hurley, she is very helpful....Mac

Pm Sent

Cheers guys,

Got onto a "Mary" and she was very pleasant to deal with.
    They have no record of receiving my application from my local station yet.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

ooops...:)

Guys that number ye gave me is as good as Magic!

Who ever that Mary Lady is she's spot on!!!
    My station posted it March 12th (Wonder what it was doing all of Jan and Feb)
    She said she would get right on it and have it posted tomorrow.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Guys that number ye gave me is as good as Magic!

Who ever that Mary Lady is she's spot on!!!
    My station posted it March 12th (Wonder what it was doing all of Jan and Feb)
    She said she would get right on it and have it posted tomorrow.

~B

You see sometimes things can go right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

(Wonder what it was doing all of Jan and Feb)
    It is not uncommon for applications to be sat on for extended periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Mary is spot on, she always states that she turns licenses around in 2 days!! and that the delay is always with the submission. It's great info to have when you ring about your licence.

Remember once your application is accepted it has to be assigned to a Garda at all times on the PULSE system so ask for who it is assigned to and track him down. (Note. They never return calls, especially when you leave a message that it's in relation to a firearms licence)

• Advertisement

Terrier wrote: »
    Mary is spot on, she always states that she turns licenses around in 2 days!! and that the delay is always with the submission. It's great info to have when you ring about your licence.

Remember once your application is accepted it has to be assigned to a Garda at all times on the PULSE system so ask for who it is assigned to and track him down. (Note. They never return calls, especially when you leave a message that it's in relation to a firearms licence)

Yeah pleasant experiance dealing with someone so efficient. I know the Garda
    that will be looking after mine so hopefully will get a call from him soon.
    Nice guy but painfully hard to get in contact with.
    They also sent up a form P21 (never seen one) as I asked for an ammo increase for
    my rifle too. I think thats what triggered my CPO visit asking for two different things
    at the same time. (I was warned only ask em to do one thing at a time)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

You all have to remember that "Mary in HQ" is not a garda but a civilian worker, and so the difference in attitude and service speaks for itself.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

I know I don't like my name being listed on the internet without either my consent or my involvement, (whether comments are good or bad) .

I wonder how this lady would feel ?

Mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

freddieot wrote: »
    I know I don't like my name being listed on the internet without either my consent or my involvement, (whether comments are good or bad) .

I wonder how this lady would feel ?

Mods?

Freddie is right, the ladies name and work telephone number shouldn't be posted on this forum, who gave permission for this or is it required ??

I wouldn't like my name or work phone number posted here, would you ??..........open and waiting for your replies........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Agree, it should only be given out by PM to known people on this forum.

Just for the record the lady in question is a diamond among knobs of coal. I rang that place a few months ago and got through to what I presume to be a "YOUNG ONE" and she was downright plain ignorant. Got through to this other lady and she was very helpful and definately a civil servant.

If anyone in justice is reading this she deserves a promotion and a good payrise ! The "young one" deserves a good kick in the behind

sorry been sick today. I got the info I needed so I got no objection to this thread being locked or deleted.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Folks ,
    Since Mary H... does such a good job for Irish gunowners.Would it not behoove us,and our respective societies that represent us .. or failing that..US!!! the Irish gunowner to show some form of token gratitude to this lady for doing such a good job????

C.mon..we need allies and good PR wherever we can get them.So I think a small token is appropriate ...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

V Bull wrote: »
    Freddie is right, the ladies name and work telephone number shouldn't be posted on this forum, who gave permission for this or is it required ??
    In fairness, it's her work number and her first name. If it was her home address and family details, that'd be something else; but everyone in the community knows of "Mary in the park" (sorry, that does sound a lot more dodgy than it was intended to!), and the number for the DoJ firearms department is public domain information.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

This thread has been quite helpful. Called up about my cert, was told it had been printed and sent out on the tenth of March. Got to give someone an earful later now...

Edit: And another update. It came back to the Superintendent's office and left there on the 13th of March. I really do need to have a chat with the local chap this evening. On the upside, I should be cradling the new rifle this time tomorrow. May even pop out to RRPC tomorrow and give it a good christening. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 blackprawn2

hey, i applied for my CZ .22 a month ago, so i decided to check up with he computer fireaarms department. the lady there was very nice, but she couldnt find any record of my application. she said to call my local station because they deal with it these days, not computer firearms. i called the cop shop, and predictably there was nobody there. i know three months is the limit, but a month after i apply, they still havent dealt with anything. im so sick of these <mod edit>Gardai</mod edit> having control over what i can and cannot do. <mod snip>. but thats getting away from what i wanted to say. computer firearms apparently no longer turn licences around, its dealt with by your <mod snip> local gardai. at least thats what i was told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

hey, i applied for my CZ .22 a month ago, so i decided to check up with he computer fireaarms department. the lady there was very nice, but she couldnt find any record of my application. she said to call my local station because they deal with it these days, not computer firearms. i called the cop shop, and predictably there was nobody there. i know three months is the limit, but a month after i apply, they still havent dealt with anything. im so sick of these <mod edit>Gardai</mod edit> having control over what i can and cannot do. <mod snip>. but thats getting away from what i wanted to say. computer firearms apparently no longer turn licences around, its dealt with by your <mod snip> local gardai. at least thats what i was told.

Those "<mod snip> local gardai" are obliged to do a background check on firearms applicants so this will cause some of the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No, it's dealt with by *your* <mod snip> local Gardai and my pleasant, efficient and professional local Gardai. Just to rub it in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And also don't forget that those <mod snip> local Gardai are not given training about the new firearms legislation. There are cases where people are just being difficult - and that's been acknowledged officially by the Gardai at an FCP conference in the past - but the local lads are generally just left unsupported by head office and our licences come a long way down their priority list.

Flinging names about isn't going to fix the problem, and the local lads are the wrong place to lay the blame in this case. You might as well shout at a cashier earning minimum wage in Anglo to fix the economy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

........... but she couldnt find any record of my application..................... i know three months is the limit, but a month after i apply, they still havent dealt with anything.

You will find that the license will be issued very quickly once the application has been processed by your local station. In relation to the 3 months. Thats what they have to process them. So if they decide to do it on the last day of the 3 month period and can get it done in that day then they're still within their right/timeframe.
    ......... computer firearms apparently no longer turn licences around, its dealt with by your local gardai. at least thats what i was told.

As has been the case since August of 2009. Although it didn't rollout till September.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

thanks for the very resonable points of view and responses. quick question though. in 2009, i foolishly tried to get a licence for a walther g22 for my first rifle, which ticks every single box in the restricted field, and was, as i see now, refused well within reason. the garda at my station phoned me up and told me the bad news. i asked why i was being refused, and the garda said they didnt have to tell me. i said by law they had to, and they hung up on me. i forgot about it, and this year went applying for my CZ 452, which ticks none of the restricted boxes. a month and a half later, ( i know, im impatient :) ) i phone up computer firearms, and there is nothing to do with it on their system. today i called again, still nothing. i gave the very nice lady all of my details, and she could find no trace of me on the firearms system. NO trace. my question is, if you apply and are refused, surely something like that should pop up on their database? my refusal for the g22 shold be on there shouldnt it? have i uncovered shenanigans in my local cops, or is there an explanation? again, i thank you for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

thanks for the very resonable points of view and responses. quick question though. in 2009, i foolishly tried to get a licence for a walther g22 for my first rifle, which ticks every single box in the restricted field, and was, as i see now, refused well within reason. the garda at my station phoned me up and told me the bad news. i asked why i was being refused, and the garda said they didnt have to tell me. i said by law they had to, and they hung up on me. i forgot about it, and this year went applying for my CZ 452, which ticks none of the restricted boxes. a month and a half later, ( i know, im impatient :) ) i phone up computer firearms, and there is nothing to do with it on their system. today i called again, still nothing. i gave the very nice lady all of my details, and she could find no trace of me on the firearms system. NO trace. my question is, if you apply and are refused, surely something like that should pop up on their database? my refusal for the g22 shold be on there shouldnt it? have i uncovered shenanigans in my local cops, or is there an explanation? again, i thank you for your time.

If the local Gardai have finished any background checks they want to the best of my knowledge it should then be entered on the computer with a denial of cert attached to it.

You should have pushed them on the initial refusal.

Maybe they took one look at the form and decided on that basis?

hmmmm...

Haddockman wrote: »
    You should have pushed them on the initial refusal.

Maybe they took one look at the form and decided on that basis?

yeah, but the superintendent has the authority to do that, nobody else does, right? and gardai are fond of following rules, right?

• Advertisement

You have the right to appeal, and to appeal you need to know why you were refused.

Advertisement