Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI This weekend - get yourself to a game!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    There was a big argument last week over which side could claim the name "Rovers".
    That made me Laugh:D(maybe cos its late) Anyway, I predict Longford are gonna kick some Dundalk Ass on Saturday. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thanks for clearing that up. :D

It's like confusing hartlepool united with manchester united: you should always qualify.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Looking forward to Cork v Derry on the box.
    Usually, I'd object to having to watch the same team twice in one week (other than Bohs, naturellement), but the Corkies do play some nice forward-looking football in spite of their new manager.

SectionF wrote: »
    in spite of their new manager.
    :eek: how very dare you!
    Nice one Mooney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shels losing in Monaghan.

Torpedo Fingal winning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bummer, Galway lost 1-0 ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

We robbed them, they deserved something even with 10 we only had one shot.

Ryan was awful again lost the ball most of the time, Fahey and Lynch were bossed by their midfield, their wingers kept going at paisley and joe, 2nd half they got in vs joe a lot but he getting better every game.

Kirby our man of the match, the real one was their right winger, altho they bossed the game and played nice ball they didnt have many shots most were blocked by pardo and harris, their keeper made 2 wonder saves. O Neill worked his balls off quigley played well Ryan wasnt very good, Fahey and Lynch had moments but they barely got a sniff in 1st 60 mins galways 2 mids were well on top.

We lack play from the full backs, when they do get forward they dont really do much, Kirby helped paisley a lot but ryan :(

LOL shels :D

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    LOL shels :D
    Yeah, stupid loss tbh.

Where is Ndo these days? Injured again?

Ndoisdoubtful.

Going to spain in summer seemingly, he wanted us to release him so he could go earlier same as rogers(agreed a deal with Shrewsbury). Beginning to think O Neil was/is the only honest decent player Shels ever had. The guy is a legend :cool:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I can see myself at the very back row to the left of the floodlight at 0:18. Hehehe. How the hell did that first "highlight" make it in?

:o:oLook at 0:37, the banner next to the goal.:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

An horrific substitution by our manager cost us 3 points tonight. Derry offered nada, and yet they got a point. Amazing.

Whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

How have UCD been looking this year? Haven't seen them since the end of last year. Does mid table-avoid relegation beckon again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

how does a side go from drawing against Cork, Bohs and Pats to been pissed over by poxy Monaghan? aha must be the arrival of the weekly paychecks! :rolleyes:
    themont85 wrote: »
    How have UCD been looking this year? Haven't seen them since the end of last year. Does mid table-avoid relegation beckon again?
    i havent seen them in action this season but they've lost Quigley, McFaul, McDonnell and Sammon arguably four of their best players and replaced them with one or two nobodies. Mahon seems to be taking a risk on bulking their squad with players from their title winning under 21 squad last season. they have a really good starting XI but injuries and suspensions will probably kill them this season unfortunately. i still wouldnt rule them out as with any Mahon side. they really do play some fantastic football for a side in the bottom half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

did not enjoy all of that last night (sligo v bohs), played alot of the first half, in our own half, bohs 1 up at half time, second half much better, got a great equalizer, but unfortunatly to go 2 -1 down within seconds of having our second disollowed was a huge disapointment

did think we could have got the draw in the end, did had some good chances late in the game, some good saves from the bohs keeper and some from our own as well,

well its still early in the season, only one point from three games so far, but hopefully will still get a good run, hopefully can compete for a european spot at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

gimmick wrote: »
    An horrific substitution by our manager cost us 3 points tonight. Derry offered nada, and yet they got a point. Amazing.

Whatever.

shocking goal to concede, but i could see it coming.

we were poor. not good enough, simple as.

another draw next week now against ramblers, and the following week against UCD

:(

• Advertisement

how does a side go from drawing against Cork, Bohs and Pats to been pissed over by poxy Monaghan? aha must be the arrival of the weekly paychecks! :rolleyes:

They were pre seasons freindlies :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

monaghan hardly "pissed all over" us last night, they sat on a 1-0 lead and were under the kosh for the entire game ffs.

on a different night it would have been 5-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

i havent seen them in action this season but they've lost Quigley, McFaul, McDonnell and Sammon arguably four of their best players and replaced them with one or two nobodies. Mahon seems to be taking a risk on bulking their squad with players from their title winning under 21 squad last season. they have a really good starting XI but injuries and suspensions will probably kill them this season unfortunately. i still wouldnt rule them out as with any Mahon side. they really do play some fantastic football for a side in the bottom half.
    That would be more or less spot on. We got an unprecedented amount of transfer fees in the space of six months (€60k for Dicker, €22k for Sammo, €30k for Quigley) but nothing made available for the playing budget. The money was not needed for off the field activities as the board are always very prudent and would have ensured a profit was made without the transfer fees. As a result the squad is very week- bench on Friday had roughly 20 senior appearances between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Beginning to think O Neil was/is the only honest decent player Shels ever had. The guy is a legend :cool:

kdjac

Never seen a player who gives so much up for the cause. Tbh he's up there with Heary in my all time favourites list just on effort alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DesF wrote: »
    Five games?

What was the last game before last season's 4?

Curse over our lads? Jaysis, the Shels team haven't played Monaghan yet.

Shelbourne will be out in front by themselves after this weekend.

Draw in Flancare, and a draw in Lisseywoolen, and we'll beat Mons.

Mark my words Pighead.

Once we get our noses in front, we won't be caught.

Dundalk 3 7
    Sporting Fingal 3 6
    Monaghan Utd 3 6
    Waterford United 3 5
    Longford Town 3 4
    Shelbourne 3 4
    Limerick 37 3 3
    Kildare County 3 1
    Athlone Town 3 1
    Wexford Youths 3 1

You lied to me DesF. Not impressed.
    The curse continues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

stovelid wrote: »
    It's like confusing hartlepool united with manchester united: you should always qualify.

:p

Exactly, and if Hartlepool name themselves United as a homage to the Manchester, it would doubly require that qualification.

Anyway, straightforward 2-0 win for Rovers against a surprisingly timid Bray side, both the front men of Baker and Murphy scoring decent goals. We had a couple more gears if we needed them and one Rowe botteld effort aside, we steamrolled them.

Kildare tomorrow in the Leage Cup and two handy games against relegation fodder in Galway and the Bowezzz to come, a fantastic start it must be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Whatever.

I must say I was pleasently suprised at his starting 11 against Rovers, with the drunk driver on the wing and behan in the hole. Only person there who could see that is bonkers was the one whose call it is. Bizarre.

Matthews, the first manager to get the bullet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

monaghan hardly "pissed all over" us last night, they sat on a 1-0 lead and were under the kosh for the entire game ffs.

on a different night it would have been 5-1
    well as in "pissed" i meant embarrased

but it wasnt a different night, any side that hopes to challenge for the title has to be easily breaking teams like Monaghan down, let alone losing to them. the bottom line is both Rovers and Cobh in the last 2 seasons only lost 3 games in 36 to win the title, thats where the bar is raised to get out of the division and with Dundalk, Waterford and Fingal all strong it will be the same this season. hopefully there will be reaction from the players and Keely in the games this week, i've no doubt the side has enough talent and ability to win the league but it depends on the attitude of the players and Keely making the players to play constructive football instead of aimlessly hoofing

Inexperience cost Longford Town on Saturday night, particularly in defence. Dundalk werent great in the first half, but once they got their goal they looked better. Davoreen (who looks great on the ball once he gets it) missed a scoring chance one on one with the keeper. McKenna got one back for us near the end, the fingers were crossed during the 4 minutes of extra time that we'd nick another one, alas it wasnt to be. There was a great crowd in Flancare, hopefully they'll keep coming back! the league need it.

League Cup and we beat Torpedo on Pens in Santry.

It was bleedin' freezin' out.

Robbie Doyle missed a pen for them in the Shootout. :D:D:D:D

I hate him. A lot. He was wearing tights today.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Whatever.

Weird. Saw the highlights yesterday evening and Ive changed my mind. We were lucky to get that point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

He was wearing tights today.:eek:

All-in-one spandex by the looks of them.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Seriously good result for Dundalk on Saturday night in Longford. Monaghan again in the cup tonight, (i'm going for a 2-1 win in this) then wexford on thurs at home which should really be a home win.

All in all, a good start to the season and already visited 2 probable promotion rivals and picked up 4 points.

Really looking forward to the away game the following week against Fingal. Won't be easy judging by how they have settled. (Longford game aside) It'll be the first time i've seen anything of them. Have they any fans yet???

ibh wrote: »
    Have they any fans yet???
    Don't know tbh.

There was a pocket of them in good voice, but they may have been Bohs Skoolies in disguise.

The rest of the stand in Santry was sporadically populated yesterday.

Also, will they have handed out freebies to the game, that will affect the crowd too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Don't know tbh.

There was a pocket of them in good voice, but they may have been Bohs Skoolies in disguise.

The rest of the stand in Santry was sporadically populated yesterday.

Also, will they have handed out freebies to the game, that will affect the crowd too.

They prob will pick up a good few fans if they put in a solid season with a few good results.

TBH even going to Dundlak home games i sometimes look at the crowd and wonder why more people can't be arsed to come out and watch them. What the fcuk else are they doing on a thurs night? watching Bolton or some sh1te like that in the UEFA cup... They play a decent brand of football, not a long ball team. I always thought Dundalk should hand out free tickets in Dundalk IT just to fill the ground. Maybe SpFi can get some of their fan base from DCU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

League Cup and we beat Torpedo on Pens in Santry.

It was bleedin' freezin' out.

Robbie Doyle missed a pen for them in the Shootout. :D:D:D:D

I hate him. A lot. He was wearing tights today.:eek:

He always wears them. If he didn't do a jig before taking his pen he might of put it in. I dunno sometimes.

Advertisement