Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kluft ditches the Heptathlon for a few years!

• 19-03-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Kluft has decided not to defend her Heptathlon Olympic title and, instead, will focus all her attention on the Long jump and triple jump.

In fairness, it had been rumoured, and it was clear her dominance in the event was beginning to wane, which she puts down to her lack of motivation for the event. It's a shrewd decision to make; it can't be easy preparing for the multi-events if you don't havethe drive to do so/

I'm intriqued by her focus on the triple jump, as well as the Long jump. I knew she was a decent triple-jumper from when she competed in the Europa cup or the Sweden vs. Finland games they have every year, but thought she might decide to concentrate on her long jump.

Best of luck to her, and I hope her success continues. Sotherton must be over the moon! I wonder will Hellebaut do the Heptathlon? Doubt it, to be honest though; apparently the reason she gave up the multi-events was because the javelin was causing her problems, so while the indoors are fine, outdoors might be a bit too much throwing!

http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=100/newsid=44091.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Its a disappointment alright. I think she is unbeaten in the event and it will be interesting to see how she gets on in the TJ and LJ.

Back in the hept, Jessica Ennis could be an outside bet for the Brits for gold if she has got stronger since last season (which I presume she has). She is a much more natural athlete than Sotherton.

On Hellebaut, a poor javelin never stopped Sotherton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

You're right! Although, while I think Sotherton's poor javelin is just plain poor, Hellebaut's is down to some injury which she aggrevates when throing the spear.

I agree 100% about Ennis, though. She's already a star; her performance in Osaka, while just missing out on a medal, is testament to that. I feel, however, that she has much, much more to give. At 21 she's already got a sub 13 second 100mh, a 23.15 200m and a 1.95m high jump. What ever about this year, she's going to be the superstar of the event in the absence of Mrs. Kluft.

Advertisement