Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

licence out of date

Options
  • 19-03-2008 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

my licence is out of date 7 months i just found out. how long do i have before i have to do theory test??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

I had the same situation last summer. Did not have to take the theory test as I held a provisonal before the theory test came into law. You should be OK. The available documentation does not explain these things in a clear way. I had the same questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

flakey wrote: »
    my licence is out of date 7 months i just found out. how long do i have before i have to do theory test??????
    Q.How long may my full licence have expired before I would have to resit the driving test?
    A.Ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 flakey

ShayK1 wrote: »
    *[/QUOi should have said its a provisional licence

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

Flakey, my prov. licence was out of date by over a year. So you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As far as I recall you have five years to renew the provisional (learner permit) after it expires. Beyond that point you'll be going back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Any idea what the limit is for northern licenses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

flakey wrote: »
    i should have said its a provisional licence

AAhh can't find that info sorry! ring the tax office to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

I too last year discovered mine was out of date by 7 months, so did some checking while waiting for the new one - you can be done for driving around with an out of date licence, and there are possible insurance implications as well AFAIK, so its something that needs immediate resolution. However, once you get the new one it will commence from when the last one expired (if its a full licence, not sure about a provisional)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 flakey

lads thanks for the info

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

have the renewal on front of me and its 5 years for provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Omcd wrote: »
    I too last year discovered mine was out of date by 7 months, so did some checking while waiting for the new one - you can be done for driving around with an out of date licence, and there are possible insurance implications as well AFAIK, so its something that needs immediate resolution. However, once you get the new one it will commence from when the last one expired (if its a full licence, not sure about a provisional)
    Driving with an expired Full Licence is considered to be a very minor offence. It can be expired for up to 10 years before having to resit a test. Even insurance companies ask if you "have or have ever held a licence...".

Driving without ever having had a licence is a different ball game though!

Advertisement