Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between PC4200 and PC5300 Memory?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I am about to upgrade my 1Gb of RAM on my Sony VAIO VGN-C1S laptop to 2Gb. I believe this involves replacing the two 512Mb modules with two 1024Mb modules.

However, looking around the various online memory shops, there seems to be two types available, PC4200 and PC5300. What is the difference between these two types? Do they refer to speed? Which would you recommend I get (price is the same)?

Thanks in advance, David

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dtwhite wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am about to upgrade my 1Gb of RAM on my Sony VAIO VGN-C1S laptop to 2Gb. I believe this involves replacing the two 512Mb modules with two 1024Mb modules.

However, looking around the various online memory shops, there seems to be two types available, PC4200 and PC5300. What is the difference between these two types? Do they refer to speed? Which would you recommend I get (price is the same)?

Thanks in advance, David

The 4200 and 5300 parts of the number refer to the theoretical maximum speed of 4200 and 5300 megs per second. In MHz terms they're 533 and 667 MHz respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Get the faster one. If your system cant use the extra bandwidth the sticks will run at the slower speed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dtwhite

Spear wrote: »
    The 4200 and 5300 parts of the number refer to the theoretical maximum speed of 4200 and 5300 megs per second. In MHz terms they're 533 and 667 MHz respectively.

That's exactly what I wanted to know; thanks very much,

Advertisement