Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phuket

• 19-03-2008 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I know everyone has their opinions on a place like Phuket but the short of it is I am flying into there from Bangkok in 2 weeks but I havent a clue where to head for or look for when i arrive.
    I know Patong is the over-developed area but whats the most logical way of going around the island, in other words if im spending a few days there whats the first place I should hit from the airport and where to from there?

Also any accomodation recommendations from fellow travellers would be helpful?

And is it quick to get to-from different resorts?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Thought there'd be a few after being here......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lil Miss MJ

Been 2 Thailand Twice for the Past two Summers...As a Preference I would Prefer the Krabi Provence as it has Phi Phi Island (The Most beautiful Place in the World) and cool lil chillout beaches like Railay and Ao Nang..
    I would avoid Patong at all costs...in our first year there we loved it....Then on our return(Alot more sober!!) it was horrible,,,overdeveloped, awash with bar girls and ladyboys - I know this is part of the culture but Patong is a mini Pattaya!!really really expensive we paid the equiv of 40e to stay in a horrible hotel!!!
    Kata is about 20 down the road...tuk tuk should e bout 400 baht (8euro).. Chilled out beach resort great Surfing Beach - funkii beachside bars and real quality restaurants and ur close enough 2 Patong 4 the mad nightlife if thats what ur in2!!!
    When in Phuket DONT miss Phuket Fantasea!! Its amazing...words dont describe the show!!! Kata Poolside is a lovelyhotel there - private pool at ur balcony - great 4 an early morning Swim!!
    Enjoy Thailand!!Any more qs just ask!!:)

Thats great exactly the type of information i was looking for, I am into nightlife but not into the nightlife in Patong if you know what I mean,
    Kata sounds great though its only going to be a few nights in Phuket anyway, do you know if there is many diving schools in Kata, will do most of my diving in Ko Toa but would be nice to get in some practice,

Thanks

I see its only 700 baht too to get an airport transfer to the hotel from that place, after a long haul flight from ireland and a busy fee days in Bangkok I think that would be well worth it to get picked up at the airport.

Is it in close proximity to the beach?

Edit: just saw this
    Kata Poolside Resort is situated in the quiet area of Kata Plaza away from the main road, but only 200 steps away from the stunning Kata Beach. You can be relaxed amongst the friendly atmosphere of the staff or enjoy a quiet walk along the shopping parade of Kata Plaza, where there are many choices of shops, bars and restaurants. Karon and Kata Noi are the two nearby beaches with shopping facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lil Miss MJ

Kata Poolside is bout 5min walk from the beach...No diving there as far as I know - just surfing!!! Reggae bar at the end of the beach has fireshows on Friday nites - brilliant pois!!:eek:
    I seem 2 remember waitin 4 ages at Phuket airport on taxis - they have them ther but they wait 2 fill buses b4 leaving...which can take a while....700 baht seems a good deal 2 get outa the airport and in2 hotel...
    Wouldnt recommend bookin ur hotel ahead.... Thais are famous for rippin off the farangs - go in have a look around otel and barter the price down....They ALWAYS bring it down!!!:D
    Poolside was being renovated last August when we were ther so should be stunning this year - we were so disappointed we cudntstay there...
    As far as shoppin goes - id advise leavin it to Bangkok - MBK and Siam Paragon is a Shoppin mecca!!!! So cheap..
    Oh if ur gna be in Bankgkok for any lenght a time - go to the cinema in Siam Paragon (Its amazing - big huge sofas with curtains....electric reclining seats in some screens...waiter service and thai silk duvets and pillows....What else could you ask for!!! Definatley an experience!)
    Ocean world in the Paragon centre is amazing 2!!!! One more thing(Not sure if uve ben 2 Thailand b4) when in Bangkok always always used meter taxis never get in unless they agree 2 meter!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ken_goldwing

:):)If its Diving your after go to Sun rise dive centre in patong i'd really recommend him. have a look at his web page http://www.sunrisediving.net/ ask for Charile Bird he is the owner
    i have used him and he is top class..:D:D Check out my home page pics
    http://www.freewebs.com/ken-goldwing/index.htm
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Had a look at the Kata poolside reviews on tripadvisor not great reviews, having a look at Kata Palm resort its cheaper too and has great reviews,can anyone else confirm that going to the hotels in person can be cheaper than the internet rate? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ken_goldwing

You will save a lot of money if you just arrive at the hotel and haggle for a room.... Yes it works big time in all the hotel's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

phucket is the one place in thailand i wouldnt go to, mite as well be in benidorm

well I have to fly into there so cant be helped....

• Advertisement
Advertisement