Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearbox Grease

Options
  • 19-03-2008 1:48pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What grease do people recomend for what parts of the gearbox and where do you get it?

I've heard of lithium grease and silicone gell, obviously not WD40 etc :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Rew wrote: »
    What grease do people recomend for what parts of the gearbox and where do you get it?

I've heard of lithium grease and silicone gell, obviously not WD40 etc :D

I got li-moly from a motor factors, seems ok.

I was just thinking this the other day, whether to use different viscosities of grease on different parts, I know my cylinder is gunked up with the same stuff as my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I've been using Moly Grease and find it good

MolyGrease_S.jpg

Lubing piston head, yae, nae?

And how much to use on gears?

I made a fine mess of my type 2 box, just to make sure, but my upcoming type 3's must be perfect!

I globbed loads on the piston head, hoping for a better seal, knowing full well it probably wont make a bit of positive difference!
    More likely be firing grease out at people at hrta :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yeah you shouldnt use grease on the piston, cylinder etc., it can get clogged up and slow down the piston, reducing FPS and rof., i use either the Moly grease, LM grease or a silicone grease depending on the parts im doing, for the gears any one of them will be fine.,

vtec wrote: »
    yeah you shouldnt use grease on the piston, cylinder etc., it can get clogged up and slow down the piston, reducing FPS and rof., i use either the Moly grease, LM grease or a silicone grease depending on the parts im doing, for the gears any one of them will be fine.,

So just oil in the piston, or very light grease, just for the o-ring to keep it functional?

• Advertisement

Motosam wrote: »
    So just oil in the piston, or very light grease, just for the o-ring to keep it functional?

no coz most greases are petrolium based with the exception of silicone grease., thats a bit harder to find and some places are charging about 25 quid for it.,:eek: cant remember where i got mine but it was only a fiver.,

this is the one i have.,
    2331897154_5c412bcbf4.jpg

Damn hang on.

I was searching for ways to fix o-rings and came across this again.

So lithium moly grease is still petroleum based and will damage o-rings?

Also clutch fluid and what other substance can engorge o-rings,
    mainly is lithium moly grease ok on o-rings.

id only ever use silicone oil on the piston ring itself, grease is too thick to be using on it in my opinion., on the gears you cah use whatever grease you want as long as its not comming in contact with rubber seals. of the ones ive used i think i prefer moly grease over silicone grease, lithium, LM etc.,

id only ever use silicone oil on the piston ring itself, grease is too thick to be using on it in my opinion., on the gears you cah use whatever grease you want as long as its not comming in contact with rubber seals. of the ones ive used i think i prefer moly grease over silicone grease, lithium, LM etc.,

But to improve a seal in a gbb say, it would corrode the rubber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Would Quad-rings work better ? http://www.satoriseal.com/x-rings_(quad_rings).htm
    Abbey seals in Dublin have them

• Advertisement

Motosam wrote: »
    But to improve a seal in a gbb say, it would corrode the rubber?
    it would be bad for the seals in a GBB but thats only the parts that you would use silicone oil on rather than grease, the piston, mag seals ect, having grease on them would only slow down there operation so id use oil instead,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

bushy... wrote: »
    Would Quad-rings work better ? http://www.satoriseal.com/x-rings_(quad_rings).htm
    Abbey seals in Dublin have them
    oooh... tempting, i'll be looking into them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I use Lithium underwater grease designed for powerboat engines. Works well.

it would be bad for the seals in a GBB but thats only the parts that you would use silicone oil on rather than grease, the piston, mag seals ect, having grease on them would only slow down there operation so id use oil instead,

Ive a striker valve leak though, needs something to seal it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭I.A.S. Ltd.

Iv found white lithium grease to work quite well.

Advertisement