Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Type Of/Which Agnostic/Atheist Do You Dislike The Most.

Options
  • 19-03-2008 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Is it the sort who looks at the world and all the **** in it and concludes that God is non-existent or that God is bad?

Is it the sort who studies it for years and can't make up their mind, but remains "sure" that God doesn't exist?

Is it the Liberal political sort who expresses a very convenient belief in God but espouses a way of life or life-choices which could be described as being anathema to God??

You can answer this question by naming your preferred agnostic, or describing your preferred agnostic way of life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

To help me answer the question would you mind very much clarifying what type of Agnostic/Atheist are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Hey hey hey. What's with all the dislike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

pH wrote: »
    To help me answer the question would you mind very much clarifying what type of Agnostic/Atheist are you?

I am what I call a "limited Christian"....I believe only in Jesus, and his accomplishments as a MAN.

I don't seek to rubbish the Holy Ghost, Immaculate Conceptions, Heaven, Hell, Or God the Father, or any of that, I just don't neccessarily care for any of it. If it is true, so be it. If its all bollox, well and good.

I don't even concern myself with his resurrection, which is something I find myself laughing at from time to time.

I feel some of my opinions are heretical enough to make me agnostic in a certain way.

I dislike elitist academical atheists like Cristopher Hitchens and quasi-Religious fakes like Ivana Bacick.

I hope thats open enough for you to consider a fuller reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I hope thats open enough for you to consider a fuller reply.

Thank you for that, I can now say with certainty that the ones I dislike the most are "limited Christians".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I dislike anybody who feels the need to always be right, who has no interest in learning, who thinks their way of thinking is the only correct way and who believe that by not believing (or dis-beliving) what they do you are deserving of extreme contempt. These are common traits amongst people in general, athiest, theist, agnostic, and any other group of people really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

These are common traits amongst people in general, athiest, theist, agnostic, and any other group of people really.
    Yes, that's right. And that's why manufactured divisions like religion are so dangerous in encouraging out-group hatred.

If religion didn't exist, you simply wouldn't have the kind of religious bigotry that abounds in the world today.

Yes this was brought up in a thread before, about religion being used as an excuse for hatred and faith being used and turned to hatred. It went around and around in circles and got nowhere really ;) I think any group of fanatics are dangerous. Whether they are religious, non-religious, political etc

It doesn't have to be dislike. You can state a preference too. My favourite atheist is Dawkins. I don't agree with everything he says, but his comment to the effect that "is it not enough to like the garden without believing that there are fairies at the end of it" is roughly congruous with my own "limited" Christian beliefs- i.e. is it not enough to love Jesus without believing too all the other baloney too.

Yes this was brought up in a thread before, about religion being used as an excuse for hatred and faith being used and turned to hatred. It went around and around in circles and got nowhere really ;) I think any group of fanatics are dangerous. Whether they are religious, non-religious, political etc

Which is why I have, if you listen to the Church, "turned my back on God"....I just go with Jesus of Nazareth. He lived and he died, and these are facts. I'll concern myself with the facts only, thats my take on it all. Like I said, my beliefs would be, strictu sensu, heretical by definition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hero, you sound like an agnostic who appreciates some of the more 'user-friendly' Christian values of the NT.

A bit like an awful lot of 'Christians' in fact!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Is it the sort who looks at the world and all the **** in it and concludes that God is non-existent or that God is bad?

Someone who thinks 'god is bad' is not an atheist...
    Is it the sort who studies it for years and can't make up their mind, but remains "sure" that God doesn't exist?

What does that mean? If he cannot make up his mind, then he cannot be "sure"
    Is it the Liberal political sort who expresses a very convenient belief in God but espouses a way of life or life-choices which could be described as being anathema to God??

How can he be an atheist if he expresses a belief in god?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

It doesn't have to be dislike. You can state a preference too. My favourite atheist is Dawkins. I don't agree with everything he says, but his comment to the effect that "is it not enough to like the garden without believing that there are fairies at the end of it" is roughly congruous with my own "limited" Christian beliefs- i.e. is it not enough to love Jesus without believing too all the other baloney too.

I kinda think you missed his point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I am what I call a "limited Christian"....I believe only in Jesus, and his accomplishments as a MAN.

What did Jesus accomplish as a MAN?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It went around and around in circles and got nowhere really ;)
    Sadly, yes, as a number of religious people appear to think that religious hatred can exist without the religion it needs to stay alive. An argument that I've never quite found very convincing, I must say!
    I think any group of fanatics are dangerous.
    Agreed :) Things seem to be most dangerous when people believe that they have access to absolute knowledge, and are prepared to do act upon it. At the risk of godwinning myself, here's the excellent Jacob Bronowski in 1973 on its perils:

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Someone who thinks 'god is bad' is not an atheist...

What does that mean? If he cannot make up his mind, then he cannot be "sure"

How can he be an atheist if he expresses a belief in god?

Well, okay then, from top......

In Islam, they say "Allah Akbar" {God is Great}. In Christianity, they say "Hallelujhlah" or some such utterance. All the "Great" Religions involve an utterance or utterances to the effect that God is good, forgiving, great. Anybody, IMO, who stands up and says "God is a bloody great c*nt" does not fall comfortably into the category of atheist, but they are as good as Agnostic and most certainly fall outside the traditional category of "Believer"....to mention nothing of the fact that "believing" carries with it an implied condition of not just blind faith but blind faith that GOD IS GOOD

A person who is unsure of Gods existence cannot be said to have faith. Faith is the cornerstone of belief. When there is no belief, there is potentially disbelief, thus a movement towards agnosticism is observed, with atheism a possibility should that "disbelief" or "lack of faith" solidify at some point in the future.

As for the "convenient believer"...I mean that in the sense of the Politician who goes to mass and all that good nonsense, but who really only does it out of a desire to maintain good press with their electorate. Barack Obama might be a decent example.

Wicknight wrote: »
    What did Jesus accomplish as a MAN?

For me, Jesus of Nazareth had a tremendous understanding of human nature and a tremendous will and desire. Having endured horrific tortures and mental punishment, he refused to castigate his tormentors, instead forgiving them and offering solace to others around him {the thief on the cross}. He never broke, never recanted and always tried to help people. How many people could approach a mob and with a few simple words dissuade them from stoning a prostitute?? For me, whether he died and went to heaven or died and rotted in the ground is irrelevant. He was a man born of woman who tried his best and never gave up. We would all do well to display the same sort of impetus, temerity and compassion. How many of us could get nailed to a cross and not utter at least a few "Go f**k yourselves, Romans" before we expired?? Christ made believers of his tormentors. That was his lasting legacy.

Dades wrote: »
    Hero, you sound like an agnostic who appreciates some of the more 'user-friendly' Christian values of the NT.

A bit like an awful lot of 'Christians' in fact!

No.

I am decidedly indifferent as to whether Jesus went to heaven or not. I am indifferent as to whether he performed miracles, I am indifferent as to whether he walked on water, whether his mother was a virgin, whether he reigns and lives forever, whether the Holy Spirit is another part of him etc etc etc.

"user friendliness" doesn't come into it. How "user friendly" is the whole episode at Gethsemone and Calgary? Not very.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

robindch wrote: »
    At the risk of godwinning myself, here's the excellent Jacob Bronowski in 1973 on its perils:

Holy Hell.

That was a little bit of a religious experience, I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No.

I am decidedly indifferent as to whether Jesus went to heaven or not. I am indifferent as to whether he performed miracles, I am indifferent as to whether he walked on water, whether his mother was a virgin, whether he reigns and lives forever, whether the Holy Spirit is another part of him etc etc etc.
    Sorry - I probably wasn't clear - I wasn't comparing you to Christians if that's what you think. My point was that a lot of people call themselves Christian, when in actual fact they just subscribe to the world view and could care less like you.
    "user friendliness" doesn't come into it. How "user friendly" is the whole episode at Gethsemone and Calgary? Not very.
    User friendly as in "Love thy neighbour", rather than some of the more obscure teachings of the bible that haven't aged quite as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

For me, Jesus of Nazareth had a tremendous understanding of human nature and a tremendous will and desire. Having endured horrific tortures and mental punishment, he refused to castigate his tormentors, instead forgiving them and offering solace to others around him {the thief on the cross}. He never broke, never recanted and always tried to help people. How many people could approach a mob and with a few simple words dissuade them from stoning a prostitute?? For me, whether he died and went to heaven or died and rotted in the ground is irrelevant. He was a man born of woman who tried his best and never gave up. We would all do well to display the same sort of impetus, temerity and compassion. How many of us could get nailed to a cross and not utter at least a few "Go f**k yourselves, Romans" before we expired?? Christ made believers of his tormentors. That was his lasting legacy.

You seem to be mixing up atheist and antitheist. Many atheists think that religion has a genuine role to play in society and that the teachings of many churches are honest and worthwhile -- they just do not believe that a god /gods actually exist.

On the other hand, antitheists (like myself) go further than disbelief, and think that the idea of having a celestial dictatorship in operation around the clock is a horrendous one, and so are suitably delighted that there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that this is the case. Many of us find much of religious doctrine to be vile and depraved on a social level.

I should add that, regardless of one's opinions about what religions have or have not done for society generally, it's totally irrelevant when it comes to the probability of the existence of a supernatural entity.

(I see also that you list no category of atheist who simply looks at the available evidence and to whom it is immediately obvious that belief in god goes against all rationale)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Dang - beat me to it.

I'm not going to like or dislike someone based on their beliefs alone. When they do things that affect me, that's another story - but in my experience it's the agnostics and atheists who are far less likely to do such things.

A slight correction: that remark about the fairies at the bottom of the garden is actually by the late Douglas Adams, quoted by Dawkins - but they were good friends, so you're forgiven. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

How many people could approach a mob and with a few simple words dissuade them from stoning a prostitute??

Just to point out that this didn't actually happen. Firstly it is found only in the Gospel of John which is the least reliable of the four Gospels. Secondly if you look in a Bible you will find the passage (John 8:1 - 8:11) is in brackets. This is because it is a late addition to the story and is not found in any of the oldest Gospels of John. Jesus never stoped the execution and never said "Let the One Without Sin Cast the First Stone".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

You can answer this question by naming your preferred agnostic, or describing your preferred agnostic way of life.

Personally I dislike the Agnostics/Atheists who happen to be bad people, murderers, rapists and such. Of course their take on religion is an almost insignificant factor, but I think its worth saying to ground the topic.

My favourite agnostic: Robert Anton Wilson
    My prefered agnostic way of life: Agnostic Theism

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I dislike anybody who feels the need to always be right

Are you happy being wrong? What exactly does the phrase "need to always be right" mean?
    who has no interest in learning

Why do you equate those things? I like being right as often as I can, and the only way I can do that is by learning learning learning. I will always admit when I'm wrong if proven so, and hence thereafter am right once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I think most atheists have a bit of a bad reputation. Pretty much all the ones I know will go about their lives not believing in God / Religion happily enough in a live and let live manner. They may discuss religion or their beliefs ... but wouldn't ram it down other people's throats.

If there is a type of atheist that I do dislike, well, it's the parrots and self congratulatory wannabe intellectuals.

The parrots are those that pretty much seem to repeat what they've heard or read in an attempt to seem witty and smart. The people who will always make a comment about fairies at the bottom of the garden, invisible supermen in space, or being a pastafarian. Like a first year student trying to impress girls with by quoting Bill Hicks and getting an eagle tattoo .... so basically douchebags.

The self congratulatary (arrogant, smug) intellectuals are those that will harp on about atheism being the only intellectual way of thinking, and to think any other way means that person is of little intelligence. Often you will see them with an ironicly religious name. Are also very prone to mocking religion in the hope other smug folk will high 5 them.

Actually ... rereading that it might seem like I expect atheists to just shut up and put up.

I don't.

I think debate is important. However, in discussions it seems those two types (which are usually the same people) that seem to dominate. I find it annoying, which is why I'd rarely post here.

Zillah wrote: »
    Are you happy being wrong? What exactly does the phrase "need to always be right" mean?

Why do you equate those things? I like being right as often as I can, and the only way I can do that is by learning learning learning. I will always admit when I'm wrong if proven so, and hence thereafter am right once again.

Can you please not take my quote out of context so that you can find a way to get insulted by it. Of course I am not happy being wrong, I don't feel the need to always be right though. The learning thing was about the sort of person who shouts and roars about what they do and don't believe and will not even consider what other people are saying. The theists know you will go to hell, the athiests know you are a fool. Then you have the people who are happy to discuss things, without taking everything personally. Even if you don't agree with each other, you can learn things from each other.

My comment was expressly about theists and athiests alike as I very clearly say
    who thinks their way of thinking is the only correct way and who believe that by not believing (or dis-beliving) what they do you are deserving of extreme contempt. These are common traits amongst people in general, athiest, theist, agnostic, and any other group of people really.
    If you feel the need to question that further please be more specific as I believe I explained exactly what I mean in that post?
    If there is a type of atheist that I do dislike, well, it's the parrots and self congratulatory wannabe intellectuals.

The parrots are those that pretty much seem to repeat what they've heard or read in an attempt to seem witty and smart. The people who will always make a comment about fairies at the bottom of the garden, invisible supermen in space, or being a pastafarian. Like a first year student trying to impress girls with by quoting Bill Hicks and getting an eagle tattoo .... so basically douchebags.

The self congratulatary (arrogant, smug) intellectuals are those that will harp on about atheism being the only intellectual way of thinking, and to think any other way means that person is of little intelligence.
    :cool: I dislike these types too :)

:cool: I dislike these types too :)

And that was the first time I've been thanked ... huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Cactus Col wrote: »
    ...The people who will always make a comment about fairies at the bottom of the garden, invisible supermen in space, or being a pastafarian.

Theres a very valid point to those things. Its holding up a mirror to religions to show how silly they seem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

I can see Cactus Cal's point, those arguments are very frequently trotted out, but I feel it says more about the people who are being lectured to than those doing the lecturing.

Advertisement