Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inustrial Placements

• 19-03-2008 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭

To anyone in the college who has an upcoming year with an inustrial placement on it, i urge you to start organising something now! I'm in 3rd year of the games course and the college has nothing for me! Now i'm stuck in carlow with 30 squid for the foreseeable future with the horrible prospect of selling my Xbox starting to loom over me :(. Don't wait for the college! sort something out! if i had known this earlier, i WOULD have a placement in the states now :(

Edit: Just thinking, if anyone knows a way to make money that doesn't require long term employment in carlow, would love to hear from ya :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

are you working in Carlow now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

nope, i used to go home to wex and work every weekend but gave it up a while ago to study for end of year exams and THOUGHT the college would have jobs lined up waiting for us. as a result, i'm broke sitting in carlow fearfully hoarding pennies :(

i'd LIKE to but i don't know when my work exp is coming through :(

so go get a part-time job that you don't give a **** about. As soon as your work placement comes through.... QUIT!!

Where have you tried for placement?

EVERYWHERE! stateside, oz, canada, europe, uk, anywhere that has a games company i've more than likely applied to it.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunatly my conscience always screws me over in things like that. I'd love to be able to but i'd end up backing out.

.....I'm a miserable excuse for a student huh?

there's the honest approach of.... Applying for a temp job and telling your potential employer your position. (I'll be gone as soon as I get placement)

I was in the exact same position as you about 2 years ago....

Quit my part-time job just before the exams, didn't get placement sorted out and was at a loose end. I ended up working with my brother for 3 months until I got placement. Then I only had 3 months placement. Sucks!!!

Although, I am back in that company now in a different department so I must've done something right.

• Advertisement

For some reason i hadn't even considered that it could be 3 months before i get anything....... i kept assuming it'd be in the next few days..... you could be on to something here ShayK1.

Cheers!

well fingers crossed you'll get sorted soon. Glad I could help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

RedXIV wrote: »
    Edit: Just thinking, if anyone knows a way to make money that doesn't require long term employment in carlow, would love to hear from ya :D

you could whore yourself to a thousand fat chicks for 50 bucks a piece, or a hundred really fat chicks for 500 bucks a piece.

i think genghiz is in ur position. do you fail if u dont get work btw?

i'm not sure. I know the college is meant to provide work exp but i'm pretty sure it has to be done regardless whether they can provide it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

in trouble, eh?

Get a Bus Eireann ticket and get yourselves to Activision Offices in Parnell Street in Dublin. They should sort you out as far as your work experience goes.

• Advertisement

tried em :(

Red: have you tried getting "non course related" work?

I mean... I am/was a Computer Networking Student and I was holding out for a telecoms or networking position. I ended up taking a Helpdesk job. Once I "Got my foot in the door" I was able to inquire about getting some experience in different departments... and they obliged. I got 2 weeks in the Comms department (split between voice and data) which was so much more relevant to my course. I tried to focus my whole presentation on those 2 weeks!!!!

Just something to think about....

Just got the go ahead there today to look for any other programming work exp, instead of concentrating on games. Back to emailing lots of companies :D

nice one!!! best of luck

WTF??? The day after i'm told to try anything other than games companies Activision email me to say I have an interview in April

*bangs head off table repeatedly*

Looks like you were right expriMental :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The college were decent in getting placements for us in Computer Systems Management. Decent in the sense, they got a lot of placements, not necessarily matched with the right candidate, i.e. they just pushed everyone into any placement. Some of the placements were awful by the sounds but others were good.

Anyone who wanted specific experience would have had to search themselves. And really its good practice for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

WTF??? The day after i'm told to try anything other than games companies Activision email me to say I have an interview in April

W00t for that! I knew they would be helpful in that respect. I'm preparing myself to ask a few questions too, it's great to hear that they DO care about students looking for experience.

Yay!! Good luck with that but keep looking in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ill yoink that placement in the states from ya, old buddy ol pal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

How many people in third year of that Games Course now ? It must be very difficult finding a job for placement in that field.

• Advertisement

13 of us in 3rd year. there were 7 the year before that and next year could be bigger again. it's not an easy field to break into alright. especially with he course being as new as it is

Advertisement