Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilli sauce like kebab places etc

• 19-03-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Is there a brand of chilli sauce I can buy that is similar to the ones found in kebab restaurants etc? I cant seem to find one anywhere. You know the kind, little kick to it, less thick than ketchup but a similar colour etc.

HALP!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I get this one
    31C041KAHFL._AA280_.jpg

It is in most supermarkets now, but is too weak for me, so I lash in a bottle of extra hot tobasco with it, or just dried chilli powder. Its a sweet chilli sauce, dunno if that is what you are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Nah sweet chilli is no use to me. I think I found one last night. Its still a little sweeter than what I want but its better than most I found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

chilli sauce from "maggi" is the closest thing ive found, its available in asian shops. its a bit spicier and thicker but similar flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Could it be "Sambal Oelek"? It's a chilli sauce from Indonesia, can be found in big Tesco's. Should be near the Asian section. This has a bigger kick than the usual sweet chilli sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

Could it be "Sambal Oelek"? It's a chilli sauce from Indonesia, can be found in big Tesco's. Should be near the Asian section. This has a bigger kick than the usual sweet chilli sauce.

no, sambal is very salty and very spicey its used to flavour indonesian dishes like nasi and bami. its main ingredients are the 2 catalist spices salt and chili so its a flavour enhancer. not really a dipping sauce or kebab sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You are looking for Sriracha sauce, my good friend :D
    Certainly has a kick to it.
    20070405sriracha.jpg

Can be found here if you live in Dublin
    http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/8-1/pt/0/spid/0F070E88-F571-4896-8CD06C0ED9DC7461.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I watched a programme on bbc "take on the takeaway" The kebab shop featured made it's own chilli sauce and showed you how. Here is how they made it.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/takeaway_recipe5.shtml

Advertisement