Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD ----> Dundrum

Options
  • 19-03-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Whats the easiest way to get from UCD to Dundrum?

Is it walkable?
    Is there a bus?

Comments

17 bus or a 35 minute walk.

Out Clonskeagh gate, turn left, right onto bird avenue, left just after the spar. Follow housing estate road round to the Right, take the left Turn at the T Junction in the estate, take the right turn straight after.

Left at the pub ahead, and straight all the way to Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Merci.
    If I'm lazy, where does the 17 go from?

Bus stop beside Quinn School.

Get the one saying its Rialto Bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Personally I'd walk it, though it's a bit of a trek;

Out Foster's ave gate, turn right.
    Straight at the junction, all the way along Mount Anville, to the crossroads at Goatstown.
    Straight through the corssroads onto Taney Rd.
    Turn left where you see the sign for parking for Dundrum centre, up that road
    Turn right at the top of that road then follow the road around and down to the shopping centre.

Adjust as necessary if you're going somewhere else in Dundrum. Also, I'm not 100% sure that's the quickest way, but I've walked it before in about 30mins I think.

edit: or 17 bus, as above, but we all know it's not the most reliable, more comfortable than the walk though I guess!

Thanks to both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

There's still a bit of a walk if you're heading to the shopping centre having taken the 17. Not too long but it doesn't drop you right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

isnt there a free bus every evening to get to Dundrum shopping centre and back?we'll there was last year anyway

I took the 17, and discovered that Pythia is right, it does not drop you at the centre (but close enough).

There were soooooo many emos and rockers hanging around, I felt damn old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smallthing

I live in rathfarnham which is further out than dundrum but i have ta go thru it ta get home. I started getting the 17 at the start of the year and discovered repeatedly that it's so so unrealiable!! Never comes wen it's meant ta, either late or early! Made me late for the first half a the year... but then i got a bike n discovered the best way ta get inta college is to cycle. Takes 25mins from rathfarnham, twud take 15 from dundrum. HAve a friend who walks from dundrum everyday too, takes her bout 30 mins. so walkin or cyclin'd be ur best bet. quicker than the bus anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yes, but you're forgetting the laziness factor. Walking and cycling take effort but sitting on the bus doesn't!

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:
    Yes, but you're forgetting the laziness factor. Walking and cycling take effort but sitting on the house doesn't!

You ride the house to college every day? I gotta get me a property like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

11 to the end of the line, cross the road and take the 75 back to Dundrum is how I did it yesterday. I think it's back to taxis for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

abelard wrote: »
    Personally I'd walk it, though it's a bit of a trek;

Out Foster's ave gate, turn right.
    Straight at the junction, all the way along Mount Anville, to the crossroads at Goatstown.
    Straight through the corssroads onto Taney Rd.
    Turn left where you see the sign for parking for Dundrum centre, up that road
    Turn right at the top of that road then follow the road around and down to the shopping centre.

Adjust as necessary if you're going somewhere else in Dundrum. Also, I'm not 100% sure that's the quickest way, but I've walked it before in about 30mins I think.

edit: or 17 bus, as above, but we all know it's not the most reliable, more comfortable than the walk though I guess!

Done in twenty minutes by myself. Thats e way I always go, its easy enough. The hill up Mount Anville Road is annoying though, but thats the worst of it, very straight-forward.

By the time you wait for a 17, you'd have walked all the way to the Town Centre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Mushy wrote: »
    Done in twenty minutes by myself. Thats e way I always go, its easy enough. The hill up Mount Anville Road is annoying though, but thats the worst of it, very straight-forward.

Sometimes when I want to challenge myself, I cycle home that way. I usually have to shift it down to 1st gear to make that hill! Once you do it's worth it though as it's down hill all the way...
    By the time you wait for a 17, you'd have walked all the way to the Town Centre.

You have to be careful with the 17. The first time you get it, it will work perfectly - it'll show up on time, and you'll wonder what The Great 17 Fuss is all about. That's how it gets you. You're hooked then you see, living on the memory of that one perfect journey, but it'll never be like that again...oh no, it shows up randomly from then on. If it shows up at all. You can always tell a 17 virgin when they look at the timetable - bless em.

Mushy wrote: »
    Done in twenty minutes by myself.

Yeah certainly possible, I just couldn't really remember since I haven't walked it in ages, and I didn't want to go any lower than 30 in case it was longer. I thought that if the OP at least expected 30 minutes, any quicker would be a pleasant surprise!

Advertisement