Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM in Cork - Why so bad?

• 19-03-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, has anyone else noticed how poor the reception for Today FM is in cork? Of all the stations that i can pick up, it is by far the most difficult to pick up, no matter where you are... My clock radio is normally tuned to today fm, but the slightest of bumps to it will lose the signal... Also, inside in town you cannot pick up today fm at all inside in Marks & Spencer (found that out thursday morning, was very weird)

For a national station it's pathetic really, any ideas why? All other stations can be found on a decent range of frequencies, but today fm is only 101.8 or 101.0 (depending on where you are) and if it's off that by a tiny amount it's fuzz...

C'Mon today fm, fix it!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

You are not missing much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

A few weeks ago I drove from Dublin to Cork and as I traveled through the county I was amazed how bad the reception was. I could only get RedFM, not Today FM or Newstalk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

robo wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I drove from Dublin to Cork and as I traveled through the county I was amazed how bad the reception was. I could only get RedFM, not Today FM or Newstalk!!

Phew, so its not my car radio that sucks....today fm reception in many places around Cork county is terrible...not up to par for the top drivetime station, although Matty C is on hols this week so not much to miss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone else noticed how poor the reception for Today FM is in cork? Of all the stations that i can pick up, it is by far the most difficult to pick up, no matter where you are... My clock radio is normally tuned to today fm, but the slightest of bumps to it will lose the signal... Also, inside in town you cannot pick up today fm at all inside in Marks & Spencer (found that out thursday morning, was very weird)

You can't pick up RTE, 2FM or Newstalk in M&S either, downstairs at least. I actually don't think you can get any radio stations in there. I find this with a lot of Debenhams too. There's just no reception there.

I've never had a problem getting Today FM at home or while driving in Cork though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I find it hard to tune in too - I'm only a few miles outside the city so I'd expect decent reception.

• Advertisement

I think that Today FM are still operating on what the RTÉNL network consisted of in 1997 so there's a lot of patches. I've noticed that it's more difficult to receive in North Kerry too as its not on the Knockanore transmitter which was opened in the early 2000s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I drove from Waterford to Cork last Friday and couldn't get Newstalk or Todayfm once I passed Youghal. It's the same everytime I drive to Cork, same on the way back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

deisemum wrote: »
    I drove from Waterford to Cork last Friday and couldn't get Newstalk or Todayfm once I passed Youghal. It's the same everytime I drive to Cork, same on the way back

there is no difficulty on the N25, I can hear those stations OK all along the N25

Is your RDS automatic retuning (AF) enabled? - your car radio might have a button marked AF or RDS, unfortunately on some car radios you have to go into a menu to do this - consult manual.

Is your car radio aerial OK?

Most modern (cars manufactured within the past 10 years and longer in some cases) car radio aerials have an internal amplifier, which needs to be powered, with 12V either through the aerial coax from the radio or a seperate wire.

A VERY COMMON PROBLEM - people often replace their car radios to upgrade to MP3,CD etc,etc but don't re-connect the wire to send current to the aerial amplifier (if its a seperate wire) OR include an aerial power adaptor (if its powered through the aerial cable like modern VWs etc) to allow the aerial to get power as with the original radio.

The radio might seem OK on FM in very strong signal areas (including cities and many major towns), but a disaster in most of the rest of the country. However AM will not work at all.

this VERY COMMON problem is further discussed in much of this thread (see the posts of 'byte' )
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-149887.html

Advertisement