Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone live in Cobh?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hello,

My other half and I are hoping to move to Cork in the next while so sussing out various places.We visited Cobh last weekend and liked it very much. My question is what is it like to live in and what is the commute like in the mornings to the city???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nikster

Cobh is a horrible place to live. I lived there for just under a year and ran out of the place as fast as I could. It's very rough and going out is a dodgy affair at night. Midleton is much nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Nikster wrote: »
    Cobh is a horrible place to live. I lived there for just under a year and ran out of the place as fast as I could. It's very rough and going out is a dodgy affair at night. Midleton is much nicer

I'd prefer Clonakilty myself, grandparents live there, and every time I visit, I find it very friendly with a great atmosphere, pubs are great, especially Shanleys
    much better than Tralee, where I live now.:(
    Must check out a move:)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I bought a house in Cobh 5 years ago and I disagree with other poster - who ran out of the place. I think Cobh is a lovely town. And now is the time to buy as a lot of investment is going into this town -so it's a hidden Gem in Cork Harbour.

I live in an old terraced house in the town - I have lovely friendly neighbours, I feel safe knowing if I'm away they watch the house for me. The Cobh and Harbour Chamber of Commerce is located in the town centre, very active and several festivals throughout the year. A nice community feel to the town.

I can stroll down the road and like any town, get a bite to eat, take-away, DVD. There's an arts centre there, The Sirius - exhibitions and small concerts held regularly. The Heritage Centre and Museum for a bit more culture. There is also a library in Cobh. In the summer when the Cruise Ships come in the town is buzzing and when the sun shines, you could be in the Mediterranean. Even in the winter, there are always lots of people day and night walking along the waterfront. We're just down the road from Fota Wildlife Park but sometimes I just wander around the park and go into Fota House for Coffee/Cakes. Nice waterfront Hotels/Bars, you won't get that in the city or the various communter towns around Cork.

Yes, there are one or two what could be termed "bad estates" on the Island but every town/village in Ireland has good and bad sides. But as I said earlier, a lot of money is being invested in Cobh and more and more housing estates are going up. Yes, there are bits of the town that are falling down but go for a walk, you'll see a lot of planning notices where derelict properties will be turned around. It's a shame it was neglected for a long time - but I reckon in the next 3-5 years, you won't be able to get property there for love or money.

We have a very large Supervalu Store just outside of the town centre, great car parking and talks of either a Lidl or Aldi setting up in Cobh. We have the train run to Cork city and the inner harbour ferry service that is in the pipeline will begin at Cobh (when it does eventually happen).

Cobh isn't far from Midleton - where there are several shopping areas and a multiplex cinema. The beaches nearby are beautiful - I'm telling you "GO FOR IT".

I get really fed up reading constant negativity re. Cobh - but talk to the permanent residents vs. renters and you'll get a very different and positive view of the place.

Best of luck and hope you move there shortly. It's the kind of place where you can jump in your car and be in the city in 20 mins or just hide away and enjoy the harbour views and lazinig around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I lived there for 15 years and enjoyed my youth there. It has a lot of amenities and is close to lots of others. The housing there is cheaper than surrounding areas and the people are friendly. As mentioned there is a large supermarket for your shopping. An hourly train if you want to go to cork city. It has a sailing club in east ferry. It has a tennis club. It has a rugby club which is well supported. It has a football club which is well supported. It has an 18 hole golf course. It is by the sea so you can take bracing walks along the deepwater key. It has lots of other stuff as well that I cant think of now.

However it does have some problems. The town itself has no nice restaurants. The commodore hotel is an awful kip and has been for years. That goes for the rooms, the restaurant and the nightclub. The town can be rough enough after 11 o'clock. This is not unsimilar to other towns of its size.

Cobh people can be somewhat insular. They have a lot on their doorstep so 'why would they need to go off the island'.

There are a lot of shops closing in the town centre and not re-opening. This gives the town a somewhat lacklustre air.

Schools in the town would not have a great rep. At primary level they would not be so bad but at secondary they would be mediocre.

The town itself is probably the worst part as it can be a bit rough at night. When you are from there you know what to avoid. There are houses at the back of the island which are in stunning locations away from the town.

So overall I would say its a nice place to live and give it 6 out of 10.

one day I was walking around Cobh and overheard tourists (complete with sunglasses and cameras) say "It's a knacker town". I agree with that statement. What does it say about the place if tourists are saying that?

• Advertisement

Well, Nickster I have said similar about towns I've visited around the world. If a tourist arrived on a Sunday morning - the place is like a ghost town as a lot of the better shops are closed on Sundays which is disappointing - but then again - if they were there on a Sunday afternoon in the height of the summer season - then you wouldn't hear that phrase uttered.

The Watersedge Hotel has a lovely restaurant, as does The Quay where you can dine outside and the Lazy Bean Coffee Shop is a real asset, especially if you want a nice brunch. There is also Tradewinds restaurant, a Chinese and Indian Restaurant (sorry forgot their names). There are numerous other cafes around the town centre. Or you could drive around the island to The Marlogue Inn and sit outside and eat in the summer, infront of the Marina, or cosy up in the winter with a big roast dinner.

Every town/village in Ireland has its good and bad points - but to reiterate my earlier post - there is a lot of investment going into the town and the building work and restoration has already begun. As more people visit the town, more shops will remain open.

I walk there regularly late in the evening and only ever feel safe - as I pass lots of other single women going for their bit of exercise. And if you're looking for a top hotel - for goodness sake the Fota Sheraton, 5 Star hotel is just down the road. Not many 5 star hotels around the rest of the Cork suburbs.

I would disagree re. Cobh being very insular as my street alone has many nationalities and the "old locals" and the newer people all mix very well.

Check out the Cobh and Harbour Chamber of Commerce Website to get an idea of what's happening. www.cobhharbourchamber.ie Good Luck! J

I think the tourists were speaking in relation to the locals

Nikster wrote: »
    I think the tourists were speaking in relation to the locals

I think that statement was a bit below the belt - BOSS :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

My mother and myself went for a walk in Cobh last night after we dropped my sister to a friends house there and we happened to comment on what a dead place it was. My mothers friend works down there also says the same thing.
    Though in saying that we thought the road was greatly lit (as you go out from town towards the ferry say) and few other people walking for 8.30 at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Heh, I used to be responsible for that.

I don't know about trouble in Cobh (well I have anecdotes, which are worth bugger all), but I've never seen such a high concentration of tracksuited chavs anywhere else.

PS, and OT, lovely sig F_M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Yeah, I'd have to agree Cobh is a bit knackery alright..and that's just me thinking of the girls who went to my secondary school (which has a fierce good rep in education!), so I fear what the ones who opted to stay in the secondary schools of Cobh are like!!:eek:

PS, and OT: Muchos Gracias Roundy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I know the houses are probably cheaper in Cobh, but there is a reason, its a hole!!! The only people that get on well there, are people who grew up there. The people i know from Cobh r all lovely but they even say its rough!!!!

Cadyboo wrote: »
    I know the houses are probably cheaper in Cobh, but there is a reason, its a hole!!!

Ha Ha - the holy ground once more - fine girl ye are.:eek:

So all you folks out there who say Cobh is "rough" why not start telling us what area you're living in - I guarantee for every place mentioned, we'll be able to list an equally "rough/no go area" "boring/nothing to do in the evenings" and "locals are knackers" etc. Also, I'm quite curious as to the age of most of the posters? As some of the comments really are quite ............. ?!*

I didn't live in a rough area but the town itself was really rough. Don't put us down by going on about our ages. I'm older than what you think. You probably live in Rushbrooke since you think its ok.

To be honest Rushbrooke isn't that bad (even though I still wouldn't live there myself) and the areas outside the main town are fine. But the town is just really a ghetto.

No Nikster, I live in the town centre - an old terrace house - stunning views, wonderful neighbours of mixed ages/nationality and my friends who live in various areas of Cork City and County, friends from other parts of Ireland and in particular my friends from abroad, love visiting my home and wandering around Cobh town, sitting at the waterfront with a drink in the summer.

Again to the original poster, I would advise reading the Cobh and Harbour Chamber of Commerce Website.

To tell you the truth - I returned to Ireland 8 years ago - having lived abroad for 11 years - and I kept hearing the same negativity re. Ireland in general. It was one or two more positive friends who encouraged me and pointed out the better side of Ireland and I did make the right decision in returning.

That is why I am feeling defensive of Cobh, where I have set up my home. I feel people need to be encouraged - we all focus far too much on negativity.

Judes, I think we'll have to agree to differ on this one. I feel very strongly on my views on Cobh, with good reason. You also have good reason to have your views. So we both just have had very different experiences with the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Cobh is great but live in Rushbrooke, you can zoom in and out to Nimmo's and have your own train stop!, its fine during the day, but its night time & restaurant facilities need to match its tourist facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

We bought in Cobh 2 years ago (Rushbrooke Links) and I have to say I regret it. Cobh is missing a lot of what I would consider essential services for example

good restaurants - I think Marloag is good for a nice plain meal but I've hated every other meal out on the island.

a comprehensive supermarket. I know we have supervalu but it is neither as well stocked, as good value or as convenient (from opening hours point of view) as say, Tesco in Midleton.

there is no safe way to walk from the train stations to Rushbrooke links. At some stage you've got to walk on the road with no verge.

I will not go into the town at night on my own to get a dvd or similar. Some of the nasty comments shouted at people are worse than I've every heard in any place I've lived, I've never seen a garda out keeping an eye on things.

I'll move as soon as I can afford to. I'm 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I've never seen a garda out keeping an eye on things.

not wishing to contradict you, but Cobh is the HQ for the Garda division, and, in my experience, is probably the best policed town i know! sorry you see it different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

not wishing to contradict you, but Cobh is the HQ for the Garda division, and, in my experience, is probably the best policed town i know! sorry you see it different!

I do know that. I had to call in when I needed to change my vote down this side of the country. The problem (and it's only my opinion) is that the rough element that you see hanging around the few undesirable pubs, spills out onto the streets. A couple of gardai, highly visible might help?

When I lived in Cobh- if there was ever a fight that spilled from a pub/nightclub onto the streets, you would see the cops alright- sitting in their car until the worst of the trouble was over. I think they were afraid of the local scum too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Do you have any friends in cobh nick?

Do you have any friends in cobh nick?
    No I don't have any friends in Cobh. Used to, but not anymore

I've lived in cobh all my life and think it's a grand place.
    Thats my perception, maybe because I enjoy my life and my friends.
    who knows :)

I enjoy my life and my friends. I just don't enjoy being in Cobh. I think it can be a bit clannish. I remember when I was living/working in Cobh, a lot of the people I worked with were against me from day one, just cos I was from Midleton. They didn't even want to get to know me. It was just a case of- "she's from Midleton, we don't like her"

Probably around the time of when you see a black person walking down the road you'd talk about it for the day kinda time .

Come down to cobh and we will go on a date :D

:)

Come down to cobh and we will go on a date :D

:)
    Sorry but I swore to myself I would never set foot in Cobh EVER again. And I've stuck to it. Haven't been there in over 4 years now! :p

Dammit :eek:I always liked the girls from midleton and carrig :(

• Advertisement

I'm going on a date tonight but if tht doesn't work out I'll let you know ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement