Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone live in Cobh?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

I hope it's not an interview date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Ah, Nikster, "never say never" who knows what the future will bring. Some of the new town houses that have gone up on the East side, look fantastic - top of the hill, spectacular views. And lots of "new faces" moving in to Cobh. One day you may win a Cruise - where embarkation point is Cobh........... we'll get you back even for a visit. J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fripouille

Hey Judes..I have been reading all the posts with interest, sure all towns have there downside.. we are moving to Cobh hopefully in July, we are presently living in France.. We lived in Dublin for 12 years and have been in France for just under 3 years..(c'ant wait to leave)..I had posted a topic on the Cobh forum ..but never got an answer..anyhow could you or someone else tell me what the Cobh community college is like ,my daughter will be going there hopefully.she has just turned 15 (hates France) also our house is in the process of being sold but it takes for ever here..so I will be renting for about 6 months to a year.. could you or anyone give me some info on good areas to rent? so why Cobh.. well because we visited it and liked it and we want to be beside the sea.. also hubby who is French hates Dublin.. all info gratefully appreciated.thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

fripouille wrote: »
    Hey Judes..I have been reading all the posts with interest, sure all towns have there downside.. we are moving to Cobh hopefully in July, we are presently living in France.. We lived in Dublin for 12 years and have been in France for just under 3 years..(c'ant wait to leave)..I had posted a topic on the Cobh forum ..but never got an answer..anyhow could you or someone else tell me what the Cobh community college is like ,my daughter will be going there hopefully.she has just turned 15 (hates France) also our house is in the process of being sold but it takes for ever here..so I will be renting for about 6 months to a year.. could you or anyone give me some info on good areas to rent? so why Cobh.. well because we visited it and liked it and we want to be beside the sea.. also hubby who is French hates Dublin.. all info gratefully appreciated.thanks:)
    CCC used to be a ****hole, well the more of 2 ****hole schools anyway. The other being Colaiste Muire. I think CCC(The Tech as it's known in Cobh) is after getting better in the last few years but I'd still recommend Colaiste Muire. Not as many scumbags. Although the town is crawling with them now. I personally have never had any trouble walking round the town at any hour, day or night. But I have lived there 21 years.

I would't know any areas to rent to be honest but go onto dat.ie (that property website) and you'll find places I'd say. Rushbrooke Links and the College Manor and places like that usually seem to have afew properties to rent.

Steer clear of Russell Heights, Bayview, Springfield Park( well this one isn't too bad).

As for my opinions on the place in general - I love it. It's home, I grew up there and when we're all back from college I tend to enjoy the place, others don't.
    There's too many houses going up around the place. The train service is fairly handy for commuting if you're working in the city, so much so that it'd make sense to not drive because the traffic can be a **** in the mornings....****in Jack Lynch tunnell!

Mahon Point shopping centre is a 20 minute drive away and it has an omniplex in there and plenty of shops if yer not up for the city.

Plenty of pubs in the place. THe Comm is a glorified ****hole full of the aforementioned scum, dressed up mind, getting pissed and "Startin'" on one another.

Supervalu's grand (got a very good newsagent section with a very nice lady that will order in any magazine you might fancy) and has lovely food and a decent bakery section but it's not the best stocked at times. There's also an Aldi and/or Lidl meant to be going in there soon.

There was meant to be a fantastic looking marina going in on East Beach but one of two thick **** aul ones stopped that. Anyone that knows the area around the camber knows that it's a place in need of redoing. Go out on a boat and you'll see the stark contrast between East and West Beach. I don't know the status of the Marina now. Must ask my friends aul fella bout it. He was the dude behind it.

Cobh IS very insular and can be difficult for a girl of yer daughters ago moving to the town to find new friends. There'll always be a nice bunch but then there's always the crowd that follows the scum, trying to be cool and "in". For christ sake, some little fat boy called Alan Busteed has started his own little crew and thinks he's in L ****in A!

I could go on all day but I won't.

Thanks for the info, sure there is nowhere these days were the are no scumbags, anyhow it could not be any worse than Dublin..and after all scumbags are just poor souls with no education.. its not there fault.. that they cannot behave in society..its a matter of live and let live..N'est pas..I wanted to know also if there are any amatuer Dramatic groups or musical societys, in Cobh or close by (for me) being a bit of a drama queen meself.. thanks:):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yes there are some drama groups there is one based in the Naval base as far as I remember. In my time Colaiste Muire would have been better than The Tech but I dont know now. There are plenty of places to rent the address to find them is www.daft.ie. All in all its quite nice but if you are looking to live by the sea its not great as there are no beaches which are clean and nice.

So sorry, haven't been on this section of Boards for a while. I don't have children - but have heard the same thing from friends re. Secondary schools i.e. send your daughter to Colaise Mhuire and NOT the Community College.

I think it's a lovely place to live - recently the place has been a hive of activity, as the Cruise Ships are berthing in Cobh. People have been moaning not enough restaurants, I love to sit at "The Quays" on the waterfront for a bite to eat. And a local auctioneer advised me two new restaurants will be opening this summer. We have a new "Belgium Chocolate Shop" which is fantastic. A lovely couple are running it, opened a few weeks back. So for all its faults - as pointed out - the place can be lovely. I think it's a very relaxed place to be, especially if you have a house with a view.

To reiterate previous posters re accommodation - look up the DAFT website - there is a new development at the top of the hill, east side of Cobh with loads of rental - and stunning views. (And a small Spar shop across the road from it). Or checkout websites for auctioneers as some do rentals i.e. English Auctioneers or Johanna Murphy.

There are a lot of nationalities living in Cobhm you won't feel homesick for long. And who would want to live in Dublin these days, a huge, sprawling, overpriced, city.

Any questions, feel free to ask, if I can help in any way. JUDES

There were complaints of a lack of supermarkets - well, right next door to the very large Supervalu, a new supermarket is being built - not sure if it will be Lidl/Aldi - or I've heard possibly both?!*

But even if you moved to Rushbrook, they have a nice Centra shop.

So basically all the complaints re. what the town is lacking - OK - a few bits and pieces but it's getting better. OK - so I've been an a chocolate high ever since the new shop opened.

But I would say you and your husband are making the right choice. I love to jump in my car, drive a few miles to Whitebay, park the car and walk down the coastal road to Roches Point Lighthouse, also Whitebay itself, a gorgeous beach for picnics/swimming.

Midleton is a few miles away - multiplex cinema, McDonalds (you mentioned a teenage daughter) and other restaurants/boutiques etc. I had a friend staying from the Netherlands 2 weeks ago, she loved Cobh.

Forgot to say above - there are a few small stony beaches i.e. around the Cuskinny area, I think it's lovely to walk along there. Also, the lower road around Whitepoint, where the path ends, you can continue along the shore there. Not so much beach but a nice inner harbour walk. And Marlogue Woods are lovely, followed by a quick bite to eat or a pint at the Marlogue Inn, where you can sit outside in the summer, watching the yachts sailing in. And you only have Fota down the road, to stroll around the grounds, have a coffee in Fota House, or go to the Wildlife Park. And the Sheraton Five Star Hotel next to it. What more do the posters want, who keep pointing out the negatives. Judes

Hi Judes and thanks for the all the info.. it helpls me to know that we are doing the right thing.. and we are looking forward to it I will check out the other school.. once again thanks.:):):) and thanks to kmick too.;)

Let us know when you get to Cobh, we can meet up! Best of luck with the move. I'm feeling excited for you! (And this is a great time to buy). J X

• Advertisement

Thanks Judes I will do see you soon
    xx:):):)

Hi Judes, well back on board the house has at last sold, we will be in Cobh from the 23rd of August, I look forward to meeting up with you, can you send me your phone no. please and I will get in touch once we are settled.
    thanks and see you soon.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

BIG BIG MISTAKE!!!...THE TOWN IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER ****HOLE...THE PLACE AND THE PEOPLE THERE ARE A PROBLEM!!...NOTHING THERE..NOTHING TO DO..SCUMBAGS HANGING AROUND ALL OVER THE PLACE WALKING AROUND IN GANGS..FIGHTS EVERY WEEKEND...CANNOT STRESS HOW BAD THE PLACE IS!!...PITY THEY COULDN'T JUST GET RID OF THE BRIDGE...AND KEEP THE PLACE AS AN ACTUAL "ISLAND"!! :rolleyes:

Ah well too late the deed is done I will just have to bite the bullet anyhow if its that bad I can always leave
    thanks anyway for your imput:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

tictac2580 wrote: »
    BIG BIG MISTAKE!!!...THE TOWN IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER ****HOLE...THE PLACE AND THE PEOPLE THERE ARE A PROBLEM!!...NOTHING THERE..NOTHING TO DO..SCUMBAGS HANGING AROUND ALL OVER THE PLACE WALKING AROUND IN GANGS..FIGHTS EVERY WEEKEND...CANNOT STRESS HOW BAD THE PLACE IS!!...PITY THEY COULDN'T JUST GET RID OF THE BRIDGE...AND KEEP THE PLACE AS AN ACTUAL "ISLAND"!! :rolleyes:

When someone has already committed to selling their family home and moving Country to start a new chapter in their lives you should wish them luck.

- In my opinion you're a Scumbag yourself, ya small-minded CaPS-loCk challenged fool.

Fripouille - congratulations & best of luck to you and your family, its clear that with your cop-on and positive attitude you're all set to flourish - pay no heed to those that wallow stupidly beneath you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

It's a bit of a ****hole, but yer grand if you don't live in any of the ****hole terraces like Russell Heights,Bayview etc etc....The town is dotted with little pretend hardmen but plenty of grand people too. Just make sure yer kid doesn't fall in with a bunch of scumbags and become one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 keithf7975

Good luck to the couple moving to Cobh, I part owned a business there and my wife was born and raised there. I have all my in-laws currently living there, but not on my life would i move to it. Insular and clannish have been used previously to describe the people. I think that is fair but equally applicable to cork, and most irish places in general outside of dublin. I lived abroad for 8 years so I wish you guys a lot of luck moving. I would say there is merit in the argument that the town is rough. From a retail business point of view "it was". However, there are generally lovely people from cobh and very friendly. As I said I wouldnt move there, as I believe other writers have rightly concluded a complete lack of essential services for a town of over 15000 people. And to charge 3.50 a trip on the ferry out of it tells you all you need to know really. There is a serious economic defecit in the town and with miliport, pfeizer, and other little island employers coming into hard times, cobh may well suffer very severely compared to a better alternative, middleton. All above is only my opinion and i still love to go back to cobh for weekends with my 5 month old son to see his extended family.

Hi thanks for all the info, well we have arrived we moved to cobh on the 23rd of September and so far so good:):):):) my daughter likes the school, I like the area and i find Cobh charming.. delighted we came and it is so close to cork etc, for shopping, so all in all :D:D:D I am a happy camper..once again thanks to all and maybe meet up sometime with ye all.:D:D

Sorry folks confused myself I meant 23rd of August, just a wee bit tired after all the logistics.. Thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ShirleyH

Welcome to Cobh! We have been living here for the last 5 years, we are both originally from the city, one northside, one southside, so we needed neutral ground.:rolleyes:

We are in Rushbrooke, close to the ferry, and we love it here. Having said that, we don't go "downtown" very often. We have seen the rough element, but I think there is an element of that everywhere.

My neighbours are fantastic, they are great company and I would be lost without them. They are all locals, and I do notice the element of clannish-ness, I think that is only to be expected in a small town.

I love the no traffic element, the fact that the city/ Mahon Point/ Midelton are all only 20 mins away, and the train is closeby for getting to the city at the weekends.

• Advertisement

Hi all - all I can say is my neighbours are the BEST and most there all their lives. I've been away from my home in Cobh almost 4 weeks now, as I've had my kitchen torn out etc. etc. and going through building nightmares - the usual!!! So really miss my home - but the neighbours are keeping me updated, phoning me when worried about windows open too much during the heavy rain, those kind of things. And they're all age groups and although yes, they would be clannish, some being older - there are also a lot of newer people in Cobh. I don't "do the town" as such drinking - but meet friends for meals in Cobh, walking, it's lovely to stroll down town on a Sat morning and do a bit of shopping, you can basically buy everything. Can't wait for the new Aldi to open, wish they'd hurry up. And I too love being close to Midleton/East Cork Beaches and Walkways/Fota/Mahon and the city. And a lovely sea breeze and spectacular views to throw into that. Why would anyone want to be in Suburbia. I'll keep my seaside town thank you. J

hi there to Shirleyh thanks for the info we have been here almost 4 weeks and we love it... so close to everything and the sea to boot .. Cobh is perfect for us we are settling well and all is bliss... just need to find a job now.. but i dont think i will have any problem thanks one and all again x:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Cobh is great!!
    Never mind the Thick Tac person, I'd say he's abit upset about something else. Who knows?

Cobh is a tipical Irish town with the same problems, but it has also alot to offer people.
    Football,GAA, Rugby,Sailing,music, history, woods, walks, buildings, resturants (11 west) the quays the waters edge. Good pubs Kelly's, ryans the Donkey and many many more things

I know plenty of people in many other parts of Cork County and beyond that would love to live and have the facilities that we have in this town.

Going forward the town will continue to get better each year but the rough element will always be around as they will in all towns.

Thanks Mulan we love Cobh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChrisL106

Hello,

I actually registered because of this topic lol.

I was born in Cobh, and I have lived here all my life.
    I've lived on "Top of The Hill", Lower Midleton street, and now The Spires.
    I've never had bad neighbours in any of these locations.

To be honest I just want to disagree with some of the bad things said here.

This notion that the town is VERY rough is totally false. Of course, you will have a minority who just don't give a sh** and treat the place like crap and the people living in here...These people are mostly KIDS, little kids that most mature adults would just ignore and pay no attention to.

More than likely they come from the worse of parts of town, council estates, etc. but they mostly come from good families..they could be the worst behaved kids you'd know but have the soundest parents you could meet..so don't judge the place by the kids you see on the street.

As for the pubs being rough, in the past there were a couple of rough pubs, The Welcome Inn, and from what I've heard, the Well House..these are no longer operating.

Put it this way, you are perfectly safe to go into all the pubs in town, if you get into any trouble it will have been because you yourself have caused it.

At night after the pubs or the com closes, you might see some trouble, but that is mostly from outsiders that come to cause trouble with the cobh people.

Most of the "Tough Guys" you see round the place only look dodgy but most of them are sound out or will just keep to themselves and friends.

That's enough about that, now the schools.

I have attended both schools, both schools thought the same curriculum in nearly the same way( I repeated a year ).

If people are not getting as good results in one school than the other it's because the students arent putting in the effort, it's as simple as that.
    The teachers teach, they put the information into the students minds, if they choose to ignore it, that's their fault, not the teacher's.

There is alot more of the less well off kids in the Community College than collaiste muire, but I think CCC is a better school. They teach the same things except they dont teach spanish but they do teach metalwork.
    I think it is a better school because they teachers are alot friendlier. It is more personal then Colaister Muire, where you just go in learn and go home. The teachers in CCC would go very far out of their way to help you with whatever it is you need, and this is why i think it is a much better school.

For things to do, there is a rugby club, a football club, golf club, sailing club, rowing club, youth club, no name club and several other things for young people and some of them are also for adults.

There is a Leisure Centre with a Gym and Pool with nightly classes in the gym and swimming lessons and all that kind of thing.

There is a large supervalue, an aldi and a big londis and some smaller shops.

There is the Cathedral, and other churches around the island for those who are religious.

There are several restaurants all of which have decent standards, except maybe the indian but thats because i dont like indian food lol. There are a lot of good cafe's around the town.

There is a train station, trains leave every hour, every half hour in the mornings i think and it goes to the city. It takes 25 mins.

There are plenty of pubs to choose from in the town.

During the year there are plenty of events and things on, the biggest being the Cobh Regatta which is a fantastic experience, whether you are into the music of the live bands, the outdoor drinking, the rowing races and the various other things that go on during the regatta, it caters for everyone.

Have i given enough examples?

Cobh is a great place to live if you look behind all the crap those have talked about and see what it is really like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alanbrodge

Well said Chris couldn't have put it any better myself .Cobh is a good town and a good place to grow up i have lived here all my life and have never had any trouble .Cobh is just like most towns in Ireland you will find trouble if you go looking for it and as Chris said most of the trouble comes from young kids and they all don't come from Russel Heights and Bayview i know a lot of people from there and they are nice friendly people . The town is safe too at night jus like most places if you hang around outside the com(nightclub)when the club is closed you will prob see a fight or two but they are usualy broken up very quickly . Put simply Cobh is an average town in Ireland it just like most towns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Not living in cobh but looking to. At present looking at the new estates Cluain Ard, Cooline and Inis Alainn. We also have looked at The Spires and are very surprised how cheap the houses are eg v large 4 bed semi for €285K. Any info on the above estates/areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Karibou57

fripouille wrote: »
    Hi thanks for all the info, well we have arrived we moved to cobh on the 23rd of September and so far so good:):):):) my daughter likes the school, I like the area and i find Cobh charming.. delighted we came and it is so close to cork etc, for shopping, so all in all :D:D:D I am a happy camper..once again thanks to all and maybe meet up sometime with ye all.:D:D
    Welcome to Cobh! Moved here since September 2007 and enjoy everyday so far !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭itisyeah

Cancer rates in Cobh are 44% above the national average, waer a mask when walking out doors and shut your windows and doors very tight. Also, block up your chimney with news papers.

Mayor Calls for Action on Base Line Health study In Cobh at Labour Conferance

Issued : Saturday 29 November, 2008

Conference calls on the Minister for the Environment to take the necessary steps to ensure that the former Irish Steel site at Haulbowline is made safe, and further that the base line health study on incidents of cancer is published forthwith.
    Delegates
    I am speaking to you today as a labour mayor of a town that with a dark cloud over it.
    At town facing across over at the biggest toxic dump in Europe .
    A Town that needs action from this government.
    A town waiting for this government to come up with a plan of action to clean up the mess that is Haulbowline island in the middle of cork harbour which neighbours the town I am proud to call home Cobh.
    Friends
    At the very heart of this issue is people's health. As Mayor of Cobh I am again calling for health study to be carried out in the lower harbour area following the shocking statistics that indicate Cobh has a cancer levels 44% above the national average.
    I am quoting from figures obtained from the National Cancer Registry. Between 1994-2005, 478 people were diagnosed with cancer on the island of Cobh. When this is set against the national average it indicates that Cobh is 44% above the national average.
    Delegates those figures mean every eight day's there was a person diagnosed with cancer over that period. This is a serious issue that has had an effect on every family in the town of Cobh.
    Following on from the recent find of chromium 6 that was deposited on the former Irish steel site it raise serious concerns for the people of Cobh.
    I requested a meeting with the minister in July. He was at that stage more interested in meeting interested groups and green party members than me the Mayor of Cobh and my council colleagues.
    My labour Colleagues have done great work in Cork on this issue If it were not for Deputies Sean Sherlock Ciaran Lynch Kathleen lynch, and senator Michael Mc Carthy the minister might well have fobbed us off and swept this under the carpet.
    I wish to pay a special tribute to my constituency colleague deputy Sean Sherlock for the work and effort he has put in on this issue. He has fought the minister tooth and nail to pressurize the minister in to getting a plan in place to ensure the people of Cobh and the lower harbour will have a safe future and ensuring the issue has not been forgotten.
    Following requests from labour Deputies in the Dail debates in July he eventually agreed to meet us full tree months later.
    As minister for local government he showed scant regard for locally elected councilors.
    The minister for the Environment and local government came to Cobh to Meet with the local representatives he stated that the report was being drawn up to address the issues of the clean up of hawlbowline by white young green . He stated that the report would be published within 6 weeks that deadline past six weeks ago .I am led to believe that the minister will publish the report on Monday.
    In supporting this motion I am calling on the minister again to carry out a health survey in partnership with the department of health on the health risk that were faced in the past and the health risks that might be faced in the future as he had promised in the dial in July .
    The figure of 478 people represents people's father's mother's sons and daughters this is a very serious matter and when set against the national average it reveals the people of Cobh worst fears.
    I am conscious that we are currently in a tough economic climate but the issue of the cost of the clean up can only come secondary to the health of the people of Cobh and the lower harbor.
    The people of Cobh need action
    We need a plan for the full clean up of haw bowline and a base line health study to reassure the people of Cobh and the lower harbor.
    If minister gormley dose not deliver I am confident that when the greens are swept out of government and when the cork tide returns many Cork Deputies and when it returns Deputy Ciaran Lynch as minister in the department of the environment he will deliver that plan.
    The people of cobh and the lower harbour deserve nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 egcol

Itisyeah,

How dare you reduce this thread to the level that you live in.As someone who always had a dim view of Cobh and it's inhabitants. In the last year and and a half I have oocasion to work on Haulbowline Island and as a result I have got to know some people from Cobh and have socialised in Cobh and have visited their homes. My attitude to Cobh and it's inhabitants has totally changed.

With regards to Haulbowline Island and it's dangers to the local inhabitants, as somebody who has a lifetime interest in the environment I was amazed to see such a diverse variety of flora and fuana on the island.

It is alleged that there is some toxic waste on the island, it is my belfief that there was much more toxicity in your words.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement