Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Concert question

• 19-03-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

How long do you think you have to be listening to a band to fully enjoy a concert?

I'm sure if you go to a concert without hearing any of the band's music, but have heard smilar bands and like the music and just want something fresh, you'll enjoy it, just not on the same level as someone listening to them for 10 years and seeing the band for the first time.

I see Obituary are playing here in June, haven't heard any of their music but wouldn't mind getting into them. What would be the key albums to start off with? Early stuff, newer stuff, a mix?

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

First off_ Cause of Death (their best)
    Slowly we rot and maybe the End Complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I think the more music you know of a band, the more you'll enjoy their concert. I hate for example not having a new album by a band and going to see them play because chances are they'll play some songs I won't know.
    Any bands I'm into pretty much, I enjoy every gig I see by them as much as, if not more than the last.
    Pretty much a gig addict though, so maybe other people prefer delving into the unknown, but me I like to singalong from beginning to end. I measure a good gig by how long my voice is gone for following the gig. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I think the more music you know of a band, the more you'll enjoy their concert. I hate for example not having a new album by a band and going to see them play because chances are they'll play some songs I won't know.
    Any bands I'm into pretty much, I enjoy every gig I see by them as much as, if not more than the last.
    Pretty much a gig addict though, so maybe other people prefer delving into the unknown, but me I like to singalong from beginning to end. I measure a good gig by how long my voice is gone for following the gig. :D

Depends on the band, I mean the only way you'll know some bands vocals is by reading the booklets. I don't if death metal gigs could be classed as singalongs tbh, more moshalongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah, but that's why I'm not a big fan of death metal - more into progressive, power, thrash etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Totally agree that its better to know the albums. Exactly why I didn't enjoy Maiden's Dance Of Death concert or Megadeth's with The System Has Failed as much as i could have.

Although The Darkness when they supported Metallica were a good laugh. Had only heard the name, and ended up falling around the place laughing at their performance (in a good way). Totally unexpected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I suppose it does help to know some of the songs, but a great way to tell a good band from a great band is seeing them without knowing any of their stuff, if you're still interested at the end of the gig you know they're doing something right.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

saw biffy clyro for the first time only knowing one song.

suffice to say it was the best gig i've been to yet.

it totally depends on the band imo and whether or not they can put on a performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I always enjoy gigs, even if I dont know all the songs. There's been laods of times I've just started getting nito a band and they're playing so I've gone.
    Obviously it helps if you know the songs but you can still have a f*ckin great time if you dont know them all

Advertisement