Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Celica

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

i'd ask why is there a tow bar on it????
    might have just been pulling a jet ski, but still.

looks like a jap import (square number plate), but dont worry about that, all parts can be got from a toyota dealer. Your insurance my be slightly more on an import, so check first.

In general celica's are a good car, but sore on petrol, expect to get 28mpg on daily driving 30-32mpg on long runs.
    I dont know of any weak points in particular, check out the car buying guides for normal things to check on every car.

there are loads of celica on the market and they are not the easiest car to sell, so haggle hard with any seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Check rear bushings & for rust etc in the arches. Those look like the original toyota 15" rims, at that age they will likely be rough or reconditioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Front multilink suspension gives trouble in all those particular Celicas. If it's rattling it'll need work.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

sorry wrong model

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    sorry wrong model

watchootalkin bout willis?

anyone know what bhp this car would have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

khmk wrote: »
    anyone know what bhp this car would have?

Looks like an SS-II (ST202) which would have around 170bhp. They are a great car, I had one for a good few years. They share parts with the Camry so bits are not difficult to source. As above there is an issue with front linkage but I never had that. Did have to replace rear bushes (around €24) to stop a knocking noise, but other than that it was rock solid.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=408

JHMEG wrote: »
    Front multilink suspension gives trouble in all those particular Celicas. If it's rattling it'll need work.

was it not the SSIII that gave problems with the multi-link suspension? superstrut.
    I know a good few people that had 93-96 celica's and none had problems other than the usual ware and tear.

From HONESTJOHN.co.uk
    Could have once been a drug dealer's car
    who writes this crap??
    Watch out for used RHD imports from Japan brought in at half the UK price. May not be fully up to UK spec.
    Yeah cause the UK model had a higher spec.:rolleyes:

Senna wrote: »
    was it not the SSIII that gave problems with the multi-link suspension? superstrut.
    The last one I was in was a '94. Rattled like fúck up front.

I believe (maybe incorrectly) that it's only the Jap imports that suffer from this, as their suspensions are not as durable because they have better roads in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

i bought a 96 jap in jan love the car to bits! cracking drive gotta love twin cams!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

i bought a 96 jap in jan love the car to bits! cracking drive gotta love twin cams!

The last one I was in was a '94. Rattled like fúck up front.

I believe (maybe incorrectly) that it's only the Jap imports that suffer from this, as their suspensions are not as durable because they have better roads in Japan.

is the standard suspension not the same on both Irish and jap celica's.
    Only the superstrut was different and that was available on the GT4's, weren't they for sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

just watch for theft likeliness, mate of mine had his stolen twice in 2 months, 2nd time was a complete right off

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

anyone have any ideas what the 1.8 version are like?
    im guessing not as quick as the 2.0, but id reckon they would be fine for most peoples needs.

Senna wrote: »
    is the standard suspension not the same on both Irish and jap celica's.
    Dunno, but the brakes were different.

HJL wrote: »
    anyone have any ideas what the 1.8 version are like?
    im guessing not as quick as the 2.0, but id reckon they would be fine for most peoples needs.

I'd stay away from the 1.8, they get about the same mpg as the 2.0 and insurance wouldn't be much cheaper. So you'd be paying around the same just for a slower car.
    Dunno, but the brakes were different.

yeah, they are different.

Advertisement