Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro broadband for Xbox Live?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Moving to Drumcondra into a house with no phone line. Looking a broadband options and DigiWeb Metro seems like a good option.
    Anyone know if this works with Xbox Live?
    Is latency on the link too much to support lag free online gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Latency should be OK
    You will need a Router (not a DSL WiFi. ) Maplin, Argos etc sell them. it should have NO phone socket and a separate ethernet port dedicated to the Metro Modem.
    Dlink, Netgear, Sitecom, Linksys etc.. Argos call them Cable Routers, but they work for any ethernet situation.

Like a DSL router, you may want to give the Xbox a DMZ setting on the Router. There are no settings on the Digiweb Modem.
    Or www.komplett.ie or www.dabs.ie online

Anything with built in DSL won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I ran my XBL off Metro for a while, no noticable problems, good pings and latency as well.

I hooked the modem up to a Dlink wireless router to share out the connection.

With the anti-lag and improved net code of Xbox games, I never noticed any real problem and was consistently getting full green connection bars in COD4 etc.

I was on the 3Mb service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm on an older 5Mb Metro plan, and my first hop pings range from 9-290ms, usually down around 15-20ms range. However the spikes vary, with 2-4% packet loss, so it does make for some jitter playing online PC games. If it stayed at 15-20ms it'd be absolutely fine for IE/UK servers, but the spikes and packet loss will definitely reduce the online experience. Whether you get those spikes/packet loss is down to a number of factors (what with this being a wireless technology).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pattwoie

Thanks for your advice. Might be a valid option. Thinking of getting the £ Mb Digiweb Metro package.

Advertisement