Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been the victim of serious crime?

Options
  • 19-03-2008 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Sorry to post a rather sobering message.
    I'm a journalist with the Irish Independent and I'm researching an article on street crime. There has been plenty of that in Dublin in recent days, what with the madness in Finglas on St Patrick's night and the reports of an English pianist having his finger taken off on O'Connell Street the same night.
    I'm trying to find people who've been the victim on indiscriminate violence within the past year and would be willing to share their story with our readers.
    Does that sound like you or someone you know? Do you want to get a feeling of anger off your chest? Were the gardai useful? How do you feel about the perpetrator now? Is the goverment in some way to blame for the increase in violence on our streets? How role does alcohol play.
    Please get in touch. My email is jmeagher@independent.ie
    The story will be published on Saturday and my deadline is 11am Friday morning.
    Thank you for reading,
    John Meagher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Well I usually frequent the Galway Forum, I made the jump to the Dub' forumjust to see had anyone posted a thread about the young English fella's finger being ripped off. To my suprise no sign of any discussions on it. Bad state of affairs when that can happen on the capitals main street on a national bank holiday. It's not like the guy was doing anything out of the ordinary or causing anybody any trouble, seem's us Irish just can't let somethings go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

majiktripp wrote: »
    seem's us Irish just can't let somethings go.

I actually resent that. I don't want to be associated with the turds who committed this act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

majiktripp wrote: »
    Well I usually frequent the Galway Forum, I made the jump to the Dub' forumjust to see had anyone posted a thread about the young English fella's finger being ripped off. To my suprise no sign of any discussions on it. Bad state of affairs when that can happen on the capitals main street on a national bank holiday. It's not like the guy was doing anything out of the ordinary or causing anybody any trouble, seem's us Irish just can't let somethings go.

Do any articles say this was an attack on his nationality? I only read that he was in a fast food joint and was getting away from a scuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Says in the Herald he was at an ATM and a fewlads asked where he was from. He said England and they attacked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Victim of indiscrimate violence?

Ask the poster Degsy about Paddys day with attempted car jacking of his car with a golf club thrown through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Slunk wrote: »
    Says in the Herald he was at an ATM and a fewlads asked where he was from. He said England and they attacked him.

They are now saying on the radio that the Gards are sceptical of his story and think he may have made up the details (obviously he got his finger severed somehow though). The sad thing is, is that if he was lying his story was still easily believed.

Back to the OP's comments I haven't been a victim (touch wood). I don't even know anybody who has been a victim of a mindless attack (I do know one guy who was mugged for a mobile phone).

I was born and grew up in Dublin (Cabra) and never had any major problems. You can almost always avoid this kind of stuff if you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    They are now saying on the radio that the Gards are sceptical of his story and think he may have made up the details (obviously he got his finger severed somehow though). The sad thing is, is that if he was lying his story was still easily believed.

read this myself today. They are looking at the possibility that he may have fell and that caused the injury. I wonder have they found evidence.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

gurramok wrote: »
    Victim of indiscrimate violence?

Ask the poster Degsy about Paddys day with attempted car jacking of his car with a golf club thrown through it.

degsy's car wasnt almost carjacked - slighty OTT there gurramok

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

28 years in Dublin and never once even threatened.

But I am guessing you dont want to hear that OP :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not in the past 20 years anyway.
    Here's to another 20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Jay D wrote: »
    read this myself today. They are looking at the possibility that he may have fell and that caused the injury. I wonder have they found evidence.

I was listening to a Garda on the radio yesterday and I noticed he said we have filed our "version" of the event which had me thinking that the story everyone else seen in the paper was different to what they knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was mugged last weekend.

I bought the SINDO, and it inveigled it's way into my home under the pretense of being a broadsheet.

I still feel violated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nyc-dublin

I'm a journalist with the Irish Independent and I'm researching an article on street crime. There has been plenty of that in Dublin in recent days, what with the madness in Finglas on St Patrick's night and the reports of an English pianist having his finger taken off on O'Connell Street the same night.
    I'm trying to find people who've been the victim on indiscriminate violence within the past year and would be willing to share their story with our readers.
    Does that sound like you or someone you know? Do you want to get a feeling of anger off your chest? Were the gardai useful? How do you feel about the perpetrator now? Is the goverment in some way to blame for the increase in violence on our streets? How role does alcohol play.
    Thank you for reading,
    John Meagher

I would advise against people replying with their personal 'horror' stories
    We will get another useless article hyping up our slight crime problem
    How about showing our actual crime stats stacked up against the rest of the world then we might get a balanced view.
    Maybe if the Irish Independent printed more articles on the lack of prosecution with harsh sentences for petty criminals we would be a lot better of and have a more reasoned view of the crime problem in our country

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Thank you for reading,
    John Meagher

Have plenty of storys of friends of mine being victims of indiscriminate violence. But a bit of advice for you, stop being so lazy and go out and research your topic on the street.And another thing, the independent is a west brit rag and I wouldnt wipe my arse with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

dublincelt wrote: »
    Have plenty of storys of friends of mine being victims of indiscriminate violence. But a bit of advice for you, stop being so lazy and go out and research your topic on the street.And another thing, the independent is a west brit rag and I wouldnt wipe my arse with it!!

That's a bit harsh. That's what's he is doing isn't it - researching. You can't ignore Internet these days, and it's not like he is looking for stories already written, he just wants to find people to tell new ones.

But I agree with whoever said to write about how inefective the justice system is while dealing wit low life violent criminals, instead of yet another article about how dangerous Ireland is.

And I won't even comment on you comments about independent. If your feelings are so strong, don't post here.

Oh yeah, never been a victim of a serious crime, never even wintnessed one. I'm in Dublin over 6 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

English pianist losing a finger, thats a bit fluffy for a 17year old who was so inebriated he couldn't explain what happened his finger (apparently he lost it legging it out of a takeaway and down an ally...

Researching more sensationalist crap for the Sindo seems to be easy work these days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dublin-murder-rate-one-of-the-worlds-lowest-436334.html

Thought I'd just add these figures in case they are of interest. Dublin is pretty safe by murder rate, as is London. I think cities like Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow are probably much worse tbh. I heard that Glasgow has the worst murder rate of any western European city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Worthless link, it's 10 years old.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Worthless link, it's 10 years old.

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=58272-qqqx=1.asp

Try that. Only reported crime though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Much better. Actually, it's nice to read a comparison from a decade back.

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote: »
    Much better. Actually, it's nice to read a comparison from a decade back.

Yup. Slightly surprising that Lisbon had a huge murder rate on the first one, yet was deemed safest, or one of, in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Says alot the way it states Dublin has alot of violent deaths but one of the lowest prison populations. I think the length of sentences in Ireland is one of the biggest problems. There are people who are constantly getting put back in jail as soon as being released but yet still only get a few months here and there :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

Ahhhhhhhh that guy from England could have said he was from Ballymun and they would've done it just the same.

Basically, in Dublin, if Irish teens approach you at all, just start swinging. Don't let them get that first shot in on you.

If anyone asks you the time, start swinging.

If anyone asks you how to get to... start swinging.

Do you see the pattern here? Dublin is FULL of low-lifes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Thank you for reading,
    John Meagher

You are a Journalist? really? I mean seriously?

What the hell is a journalist doing working for the Indo?

Advertisement