Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling continues its fall => play.com increases the rip off

Options
  • 19-03-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Bought some books online a few days back. Just checked my statement online today, got a rate of £1 = €1.291 (approximately equal to the XE mid market rate + the 1.75% charge PTSB levy of non euro transactions). Out of interest checked euro prices v sterling on play.com. Checked a DVD that was 12.99 in sterling but 20.49 in euro (a rate of £1 = €1.577). This is a whopping 22.2% more than the rate my credit card company gave me.

AVOID!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Play is still cheaper than shops here and don't charge for delivery,which is probably why they have that mark up.

Why avoid somewhere that is still cheaper than shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's the principle, some people will rather go without than actually buy what they want.

There may be a work around, I'll try it and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

tvnutz wrote: »
    Play is still cheaper than shops here and don't charge for delivery,which is probably why they have that mark up.

Why avoid somewhere that is still cheaper than shops?

To be honest, they're not much cheaper than the shops at the moment on certain items. A book I wanted to buy recently was barely cheaper on Play than in the Waterstones on Nassau Street. They should really look at revising their exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I agree about the pricing in shops in ireland. There are sometimes just the same bargains to be had , in the likes of hmv.

Advertisement