Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car clocking story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've always had my doubts about that place to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

easy answer - make the NCT records on milage available to the public instead of it being under the official secrets act ffs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What kind of crap consumer agency is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    What kind of crap consumer agency is this?
    +1

Vladimir Mozgovoi has agreed to be a nice man and that's good enough?!?

I contacted the NCA about this and got the following reply (a while ago but I forgot about it!).
    Dear kbannon

I wish to refer to your E mail of 20 March 2008, to the National Consumer Agency, querying why the Agency opted for an Undertaking, from a car dealer, rather then prosecuting the trader for misleading commercial practices, in contravention of section 43 of the Consumer Protection Act 2007.

At the outset, I should explain that the Consumer Protection Act has been given the NCA a range of enforcement tools, (both civil and criminal) to advance compliance with consumer legislation.

It is up to the Agency to use these tools as it sees fit. The NCA decides, depending,on the circumstances of each case, which enforcement action would be most appropriate.

In the case of the car dealer, the NCA decided that it was important to address the issue as quickly as possible. Having regard to pressure on the courts, it could take some time before a prosecution could be taken. In this regard, the Agency felt, that it could not risk the possibility of other consumers being exposed, while waiting for the outcome of a prosecution. Accordingly, it chose the speedier option of seeking an undertaking from the car dealer, to cease the practice of selling clocked cars and to compensate consumers who had been sold cars with altered odometer readings.

I should explain that the Agency will continue to monitor the car dealer to ensure compliance with the commitments of the Undertaking. If the company fails to do this, the Agency will have no hesitation in taking appropriate legal action.

Yours sincerely
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

So no penalty for them except bad press?

On the flip side at least now you know if you buy a car off them that it won't be clocked. :D

I contacted the NCA about this and got the following reply (a while ago but I forgot about it!).

"Quick Igor, stop fiddling with that odometer, someone from the consumer crowd is coming. They phoned ahead to make sure someone would be here"

JHMEG wrote: »
    "Quick Igor, stop fiddling with that odometer, someone from the consumer crowd is coming. They phoned ahead to make sure someone would be here"

Igor? What is this place, Count Duckula's Dodgy Dealership?

Just take a seat there and Nanny will be along to work out your finance arrangements. :D

javaboy wrote: »
    Igor? What is this place, Count Duckula's Dodgy Dealership?
    Did you read the thread? Not my fault the owner's name is Vladimir Mozgovoi.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Did you read the thread? Not my fault the owner's name is Vladimir Mozgovoi.

Sorry I just can't hear the name Igor without thinking of this lot:
    cast.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NCA wrote:
    I am glad that we secured this commitment from the company

I am glad the NCAs standards are so high they are glad to secure this kind of commitment :rolleyes:

But the problem is widespread. I have good reason to believe that a very significant number of second hand car dealers clock the cars they have for sale. And that there are not enough resources in our law-enforcement system to go after those dealers unless specific claims are made to them. Even then, I've heard that our friend Santa (formerly of the Grotto in Lucan) has set up shop elsewhere in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Good reason to Believe?
    I worked in the trade (previously) and its RIFE.
    I could name loads of dealerships NOW that are actively clocking cars and selling bodgejob repair ex-rentals too!
    But if I did, my post would be removed.

Be WARY out there - Buyer beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

In the case of the car dealer, the NCA decided that it was important to address the issue as quickly as possible. Having regard to pressure on the courts, it could take some time before a prosecution could be taken. In this regard, the Agency felt, that it could not risk the possibility of other consumers being exposed, while waiting for the outcome of a prosecution.

But they managed to put pressure on the court to prosecute a shopkeeper for failing to display the selling price of a 2-litre container of milk and the unit price of fresh cream

Full story here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

I've a case pending with a dealer who clocked my car. The OCDA are taking on my case, never heard of this NCA crowd.
    Oh right I see they have renamed.

To those criticising the NCA, they do some excellent work within the legislation that is out there. They've prosecuted dealers before and you can expect more in the next few months.
    easy answer - make the NCT records on milage available to the public instead of it being under the official secrets act ffs.
    Wrong answer. The mileage on my NCT cert is 40,000 less than on the car.

Mylow wrote: »
    But they managed to put pressure on the court to prosecute a shopkeeper for failing to display the selling price of a 2-litre container of milk and the unit price of fresh cream

Full story here
    Christ Almighty!
    Commenting on the court outcome, the Chief Executive of the National Consumer Agency, Ms Ann Fitzgerald said: "It is not acceptable for traders to adopt a haphazard approach towards price display.
    Well done Ann. We can't have haphazard approaches out there now, can we?
    Phaetonman wrote: »
    I've a case pending with a dealer who clocked my car. The OCDA are taking on my case, never heard of this NCA crowd.
    Oh right I see they have renamed.
    Keep us informed on the result!
    To those criticising the NCA, they do some excellent work within the legislation that is out there. They've prosecuted dealers before and you can expect more in the next few months.
    Maybe so but this doesn't initially seem evident given the excuse given to me and then taking a case over the price of a 2L pack of milk.
    Wrong answer. The mileage on my NCT cert is 40,000 less than on the car.
    The mileage should be on the NCT cert and available to current owners of a car. Keeping the mileage hidden, whilst not necessarily stopping clocking, will reduce the likleihood of it or at least the amount of km/s or miles trimmed!

Yeah, but there's nothing more annoying tho than going into a shop and there's no prices on half the stuff, just like in B&Q, PC World and Currys.

I'm not disputing that. However, given their resources, etc. which is more important?
    A dealer selling dodgy cars or someone not displaying the price of milk?

I'm not disputing that. However, given their resources, etc. which is more important?
    A dealer selling dodgy cars or someone not displaying the price of milk?
    In that case the car dealer thing, obviously! But the B&Q, PCWorld etc thing is also quite serious given the volume of people that shop there.

(I was being a bit tongue in cheek tho)

OK, but why aren't the National Consumer Agency going after them? Its good that the Gala owner was taken to task over what he did but surely their resources are better spent going after bigger and better examples?

Are a lot of car dealers Fianna Fail party members maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It strikes me that the bigger the crime in this country the smaller the penalty, you get screwed for Mickey Mouse stuff but nobody blinks an eye if you do a major rip-off.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

As me da always said, you rob a thousand quid from the bank, it's your problem. You rob a million, it's their problem! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bordeaux64

I purchased a BMW from Manor Autos in Ballymount in August 06 only to discover 2 weeks later that the 54000 mileage reading was recorded the previous Christmas as 94000. I have been in contact with the Gardai, Revenue and NCA along with solicitors, its slowly making its way to court. Has anyone else purchased from this garage either clocked or irregular cars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IT makes buying a second hand car a real pain. As mentioned while Nct records disclosed for mileage checks would be helpful , a car can do an awful lot of miles in the first four years only to be clocked before nct test. Went to look at a 01 mondeo 87'000/miles in a small Tallaght garage today. While no guarantee it was clocked it had alot of wear in all the usual places for a 87K car of this size.
    Bordeaux64 had did you find out the true mileage in the end, contact the last owner, or can you even do this anymore?. Also can someone confirm if you are the legal owner of a car do the NCT have to give you all past test info

Thanks Cubix

Everyone needs to calm down and see the wood from the tree's. Clocked cars are easy to spot..........you just gotta know how and where to look and if a car just does'nt seem right to you - walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

nothing illigal with clocking a car , only when you sell it you have to put its milage back to the best of your knollege.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

Clocked cars are easy to spot..........you just gotta know how and where to look .
    Can you tell us where and what to look for in as much detail as possible? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Can you tell us where and what to look for in as much detail as possible? Thanks

First look at the service history, you should see regular services and there shouldn't be a large time gap between now and the last time the car was serviced. Books can be forged stolen etc. though.

Newer cars such as BMW's store the service history on the key so bring the key to a dealer.

Car condition:

Interior: look at the wear on the seats, wheel, gearstick, pedals. ou have to make a judgement call as to wheather this reflects the cars mileage.

Exterior: Excessive stonechips, chips on the windscreen, underbody damage should give away a car thats seen a lot of miles. Again a judgement call is necessary.

Others will have other tricks to tell a cars true mileage i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You also should ring the original Dealer that serviced the car, the servic books can be bought fully stamped up for €25. So that service book in the glove box is not worth a damn without a back up phone call to the service department of the servicing garage.
    In a BMW the mileage information is stored in three places, one of them being the key, however it is possible that the clocking is done for all three locations.

• Advertisement

You also should ring the original Dealer that serviced the car, the servic books can be bought fully stamped up for €25. So that service book in the glove box is not worth a damn without a back up phone call to the service department of the servicing garage.
    In a BMW the mileage information is stored in three places, one of them being the key, however it is possible that the clocking is done for all three locations.

This is another "stealth" bollix charge! €25 to stamp up a book in a 2 minutes that should have been stamped up in the fist instance when the car was there being serviced. I would and never have paid for it - and insist it gets doen free of charge.........
    Its no wonder big dealers have BIG WINDOWS out front.

;)
    But Rebels right, a good clocker will cover their tracks - but most in my experience are sloppy and cut corners - again, a clocked car can be spotted with a bit of a keen eye and by using the old grey matter.......

so eazzzzy on the beer over the weekend!

Advertisement