Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings for property deposit

Options
  • 19-03-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,
    As a first time buyer, I'm planning to buy summer 2009 (if the market is right!). Where would be a good place to save 1000e-1500e for a deposit?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I believe First Active have an account paying 7.15% on balances up to 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

sofireland wrote: »
    I believe First Active have an account paying 7.15% on balances up to 100k.

What's the catch?!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What's the catch?!
    I believe there's a minimum investment sum (15k-20k) and that there's a minimum investment period (1-2 years, I'm not sure of the exact amount).

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

What's the catch?!

The catch is that First Active are offering 4.33% on balances over 15,000.

I doubt very much if you will get 7%+.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭The Rooster

dewsbury wrote: »
    The catch is that First Active are offering 4.33% on balances over 15,000.

I doubt very much if you will get 7%+.
    That is incorrect - or at least mixed up.
    ixoy wrote:
    I believe there's a minimum investment sum (15k-20k) and that there's a minimum investment period (1-2 years, I'm not sure of the exact amount).
    Again, this is not correct.

First Active do have an account (e-savings) which pays 5.22% if you have less than 15k, but go over the 15k limit and your rate (on the full balance) reduces to 4.33%

But they also have a regular saver account, which offers a rate of 7.15%. There is no minimum investment. The maximum you can put into it is €1,000 per month. The maximum balance you are allowed accumulate is €100,000. No catches. You can withdraw whenever you like. But, like any other variable rate product, they can reduce the rates in the future if they so wish.

AIB also have a regular saver which pays 7.3%. "This interest rate will at least match ECB + 3.00% until 19th February 2009; thereafter it will at least match ECB until 1st January 2010". The maxmimum monthly saving is €300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

That is incorrect - or at least mixed up.

AIB also have a regular saver which pays 7.3%. "This interest rate will at least match ECB + 3.00% until 19th February 2009; thereafter it will at least match ECB until 1st January 2010". The maxmimum monthly saving is €300.

I guess I stand corrected.

However, there usually is a catch. See the AIB example quoted above.

AIB will give 3% over ECB but this is for a maximum of 300 euros for 11 months. In reality this means that this saving scheme will give about 200 euros extra interest over the duration of the special offer.
    Figures are approx but either way 200 is not a great deal of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

threads about lump sum deposits, regular savers and term deposits here.

Advertisement