Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safari for Windows

• 19-03-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this mentioned here but yesterday Apple released a Windows version of its Safari browser - http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

I am an Apple neophyte so I was a bit sceptical especially when I saw that the download was >15MB. However it is brilliant for viewing photos. I've been using it today to view flickrleech and flickriver and even on my uncalibrated monitor the photos look so much better. Also seems much faster than both IE and Firefox.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the reason it looks better is safarie can understand colour profiles in the images

lots of other browsers dont

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Thread not suited to the Photography forum.
    Moved to Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

They first released a Windows beta a while back. It looks OK but the colour and overall design is rather inconsistent with iTunes for Windows. I tried the latest 3.1 version. At least QuickTime actually loads well. QT makes Firefox crash for me under Linux :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Safari is a lot quicker loading pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,378 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, I noticed this Safari thing yesterday, apple updater (whatever it's called) popped up telling me there are updates, i normally just click ok (cos it's normally for iTunes) but it was actually safari. I reckon a few people might get caught into downloading that way...

I didn't bother downloading it, is it worth it?

• Advertisement

It's a lot faster at loading up pages than IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I won't be using is full time however. I can't click on address bar to get drop down of recent pages. Can't right click the back button to pick what page I want to go back to. No home button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It's a lot faster at loading up pages than IE.

Who uses IE, how does it compare to Firefox or Opera? I've started using opera on my linux laptop for work, find it faster than firefox

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Who uses IE, how does it compare to Firefox or Opera? I've started using opera on my linux laptop for work, find it faster than firefox
    Me !! :D

Don't know how it compares to Firefox or Opera, i've nevered used them :o

dulpit wrote: »
    Ya, I noticed this Safari thing yesterday, apple updater (whatever it's called) popped up telling me there are updates, i normally just click ok (cos it's normally for iTunes) but it was actually safari. I reckon a few people might get caught into downloading that way...

I didn't bother downloading it, is it worth it?
    That's not on. Apple should not be forcing the browser upon people. Mozilla reflects my views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

They're not forcing it - it's offered as part of the update - you don't want it don't install it. It clearly says Itunes on one line and Safari on the other.
    Gotta say the speed is well impressive compared to IE, Firefox & Opera

They are forcing it -- if it's not installed already and one goes to the Apple Software Updater, runs it, finds there are no updates for iTunes (or QuickTime), Safari still appears as an update and it is ticked for install. That shouldn't be. Microsoft wouldn't get away with that.

I agree -- it is indeed speedy. In fact, it's based on the same HTML rendering engine used in the open-source browser Konqueror under the K desktop environment (KDE).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ethernet wrote:
    Safari still appears as an update and it is ticked for install. That shouldn't be. Microsoft wouldn't get away with that.
    :rolleyes:
    So it's ok that IE7 tries to hijack your homepage when it installs ??
    There is an awful lot of software out there that absolutely requires you to install IE to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I tried it for a while. I didn't find it it faster than IE or Firefox, and tbh I didn't like the way it antialias all text. Some looks bold when it isn't. No way of making new tabs have a home page default. Firefox is still my favorite.

:rolleyes:
    So it's ok that IE7 tries to hijack your homepage when it installs ??
    There is an awful lot of software out there that absolutely requires you to install IE to work.
    I wasn't talking specifically about IE. For example, you don't see Windows shoving Silverlight into Windows Update when it was never installed.

I realise a lot of software requires IE, even some banks, because of the ActiveX implementation of certain functionality on some sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

I completely disagree with the whole thing. Apple Software Update is an updater application. Therefore it should only update what's already installed.
    ethernet wrote: »
    I wasn't talking specifically about IE. For example, you don't see Windows shoving Silverlight into Windows Update when it was never installed.

Actually it looks like Microsoft are doing it too. On my machine anyway (Vista Ultimate) I'm getting the option to download Silverlight in Windows Update.

Screen:
    http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=silverlightiq1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,856 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Silverlight is included under microsoft update, which includes updates and installs to other MS products, you have to opt in to it.

Windows update does not have silverlight. Silverlight, however, will soon be as ubiquitous as flash, so probably worth installing at some stage (works for Firefox too afaik).

Who the dingbat cares how its delivered. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,378 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

BostonB wrote: »
    Who the dingbat cares how its delivered. :rolleyes:
    I suppose it's grand if you want it... The thing is if you don't want it and aren't paying attention, or if you're not an experienced user you could end up with something you don't want/need...

It takes a few secs to uninstall it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

anyone notice that its EULA doesn't cover Windows? It can only be installed on a MAC.

BostonB wrote: »
    It takes a few secs to uninstall it.
    Fair point but you'll still have junk left in the registry as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

folan wrote: »
    anyone notice that its EULA doesn't cover Windows? It can only be installed on a MAC.

Just a guess that they just copied their standard EULA and just forgot to change Mac to Windows in it. Just an oversight I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

IMHO its not that much quicker than FF if it is maybe a second or so but i tested it and it loaded the page quicker and then took a while to load image where as FF loads everything in one go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Soundman wrote: »
    Just a guess that they just copied their standard EULA and just forgot to change Mac to Windows in it. Just an oversight I imagine.

Aye, and theyve changed it now. funny mistake to make though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

have to say i have it less than a week and have found it excellent so far, loads boards 3 times faster than FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Skyuser wrote: »
    I won't be using is full time however. I can't click on address bar to get drop down of recent pages. Can't right click the back button to pick what page I want to go back to. No home button.
    You can click on the History menu to get a list of recent pages. You can left click and hold on the back button to pick the page you want to go to. A home button is available by selecting View -> Customise toolbar and dragging the home button to the toolbar.

Having said all that, I'm a Mac head, love Safari on Mac, and I still prefer Firefox anytime I'm on Windows. Fits in better with the Windows environment IMO.

Oh and I agree that Apple shouldn't be including apps that aren't already installed in a updater. Although as mentioned, Microsoft are doing it too. Doesn't make it right though. Moral of the story: read things instead of clicking 'Next, next, next...'

patrickc wrote: »
    have to say i have it less than a week and have found it excellent so far, loads boards 3 times faster than FF

Doesn't for me. I use firetune though. I just like the way things are done in Firefox better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Just installed this badboy there a few minutes ago, man its class. Looks amazing, feels good, bookmarks bar is as cool as fcuk. It just reinvented the internet for me to be honest.

How is everyone else getting on with it?

• Advertisement

I'm not really into the anti aliased look. But have tried it on a few web applications at work and on some of them it is noticeably faster. Mind you it breaks on some Javascript and CSS. But most things work.

No new tab homepage is annoying, as is no right click on a word and search Google as in FF. Is there in in-line spell checker?

Advertisement