Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help disabled driver choose a car

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hi

My car is in Motability Ireland being worked on as I type. However, they have said that my car will probably not be ready until this time tomorrow! :mad:

The salesman I'm dealing with is going on holidays too and he wants to get this tied up before he goes!!! I hope that this doesn't leave me without a car while he's away!?

The car is still in Motability Ireland getting sorted out. They are having major bother with some of the electrics that have to be connected through the infrared system.

The main problem seems to be the dimmer light . When they connect it up, it knocks other things off??

I cannot operate the stalk on the right hand side of the steering column while I am operating the hand controls - I wouldn't be in control of the car while attempting it - hence the need for the infra-red function.

They are going to try to put a "toggle switch" on the top of the hand controls lever for this function.

With a bit of luck, the car will be sorted by this time tomorrow!!!!?? :rolleyes:

The car is finally finished!!!

They fitted a switch on the dashboard to enable me to use the dimmer's for the lights.

It has to be brought up to Park Motors to get cleaned up and get the number plates fitted onto it, and it'll be all mine!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The car is finally finished!!!

They fitted a switch on the dashboard to enable me to use the dimmer's for the lights.

It has to be brought up to Park Motors to get cleaned up and get the number plates fitted onto it, and it'll be all mine!!!

Great stuff,,
    I can see a good long drive over the weekend on order :D

€1400 for the adaptations!! :eek:

........................And they put the switch for the lights on the dashboard, and not on top of the hand controls.

• Advertisement

..........picking it up tomorrow!!!!!

Can anyone advise me exactly how much VAT I should be expecting to get back when:

A) The car costs €11832, inc vat, and
    B) The adaptations cost €1400 inc vat.

Cheerz.

EDIT: Also, could anyone suggest an alternative method of keeping my infrared controls/steering ball in a safe place when I take it out of my car? Previously, I have just been putting it in a general hold-all bag that I bring to work with me. I was concerned that it may have been getting banged about a bit and thus running down the batteries!?

Can anyone advise me exactly how much VAT I should be expecting to get back when:

A) The car costs €11832, inc vat, and
    B) The adaptations cost €1400 inc vat.

Cheerz.

EDIT: Also, could anyone suggest an alternative method of keeping my infrared controls/steering ball in a safe place when I take it out of my car? Previously, I have just been putting it in a general hold-all bag that I bring to work with me. I was concerned that it may have been getting banged about a bit and thus running down the batteries!?

I would estimate aprrox refund of €2297 VAT.
    Not certain

vectra wrote: »
    I would estimate aprrox refund of €2297 VAT.
    Not certain

How did u work that out?? LOL, sorry I'm sh1t at maths. :o

How did u work that out?? LOL, sorry I'm sh1t at maths. :o

I have no Idea LOL:D

No.

I added both sums
    divided it by 121 ( 100% being price including 21% vat ) to get 1%
    Multiplied it by 100 ( to give me the cost minus the 21% vat )

I am possibly wrong but should not be far out.

This depends on how much vrt you have got off the car already as you can only claim a max of 9525 as a driver.

• Advertisement

I have no Idea LOL:D

No.

I added both sums
    divided it by 121 ( 100% being price including 21% vat ) to get 1%
    Multiplied it by 100 ( to give me the cost minus the 21% vat )

I am possibly wrong but should not be far out.

This depends on how much vrt you have got off the car already as you can only claim a max of 9525 as a driver.

you're wrong lol. taht works out at 10935 approx.

you're wrong lol. taht works out at 10935 approx.

Correct

Then deduct that sum from the sum of both =

€11832 + €1400 = 13232 / 121 = 109.35 *100 = 10935

So we now have :

13232 Minus 10935 = €2297 ... seemples :D

Correct

Then deduct that sum from the sum of both =

€11832 + €1400 = 13232 / 121 = 109.35 *100 = 10935

So we now have :

13232 Minus 10935 = €2297 ... seemples :D

LOL. Guess what?? Motability fitted the infra-red controls on the bottom left of the steering wheel!!!?? I had to get my brother to take it off and re-fit it back on the top left!? Strange for them, theyre usually spot-on with stuff like that??

Can anyone advise me how/if the centre armrest in a VW Golf can be removed? It gets in the way(slightly)when I am trying to transfert my wheelchair in/out of the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Can anyone advise me how/if the centre armrest in a VW Golf can be removed? It gets in the way(slightly)when I am trying to transfert my wheelchair in/out of the car?

torx_t6_screwdriver.jpg

hacksaw.jpg

and don't forget the most important one

gaffer%20tape.jpg

Well if it is only in the way slightly you need one of these to cut a couple of inches off the top
    grinding-and-cutting-safely-hand-held-angle-grinders.jpg

Don't get carried away though or this could happen

SNN1224A2G_485289a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

LOL at that ^^^^^^^^^. Best of luck with the car and happy motoring. Nice to see a thread like this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Should be easy to remove but you'd need to get the piece of trim to cover the hole. Dealer'd probably sort it for you. Should be able to flog the armrest too...

EPM wrote: »
    torx_t6_screwdriver.jpg

hacksaw.jpg

and don't forget the most important one

gaffer%20tape.jpg

PMSL

I haven't had a chance to put any pictures up yet. Sorry.

• Advertisement

Had a little bit of a tip in my car today!!! Was turning at a junction in Blanchardstown and the steering knob got caught in either my lap or the seat belt(across my lap). Car wouldn't turn for me and i went straight on & whacked my left front wheel off the kerb!!! Cost me 60 quid to call a guy out and change to the spare wheel!!

Am going over to the dealers tomorrow to get a new tyre, and then I'm going to head straight to Motability Ireland to see if they can make any alterations to the adaptations to ensure that this won;t happen again!

Can anyone suggest someone (AA/RAC/FBD etc) who cover puncture repair as part of their breakdown cover??

AA don't seem to do this, as far as I can see.....? Myself & my Dad spent the whole day today driving around getting my tyre repaired and then we had to drive to Ashbourne to get the adaptations altered by Motability!!!

I don't want to go through this s**t again!!!

Oh, and thanks in advance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CCOLGAN

VW golf 1.2TSI DSG 3dr €22923

Metallic paint €535

less vrt €3271
    ________
    Total €20187

Less trade in €8500

Less vat €3289

_________
    Total €8398

This is the quote I've been given.

Hi

I am also a disabled driver looking to purchase a new car. Right now I have my heart set on a Skoda Octavia Ambient 1.6 TDI DSG but they are impossible to source here due to a production issue at the plant.. Anyway I was wondering how the VAT was calculated above in the quote?

Is the VAT calculated on the price paid to the dealer (minus the VRT ) and is the VAT rate 21%?

Thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread :)

CCOLGAN wrote: »
    Hi

I am also a disabled driver looking to purchase a new car. Right now I have my heart set on a Skoda Octavia Ambient 1.6 TDI DSG but they are impossible to source here due to a production issue at the plant.. Anyway I was wondering how the VAT was calculated above in the quote?

Is the VAT calculated on the price paid to the dealer (minus the VRT ) and is the VAT rate 21%?

Thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread :)

Have you got a trade in??
    If not you could get a cash discount.

If not then you wont really get the most for your allowance by buying a 1.6 tdi. as it is only in the 14% vrt range.

Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI 105 BHP AMBIENTE €20,940

Less vrt @14% =€18,368

Less Vat @ 21% = €15180

=€5760 rebate
    = you lose almost €4,000 of your allocated allowance

I ordered the Octavia vRS tdi + Leather = €28,255

Less discount for no trade in
    Less vrt @20%
    Less Vat @ 21% = €17,760

=€10,495 off the price.... I get more than my allocated allowance

Octavia 1.6 = 20,950
    Octavia vRS =28,255

=vrs €7305 dearer than 1.6

=

Your 1.6 purchase price = €15,180
    My vRS Purchase price = €17,760

I buy my top of the range vRS for €2580 more than the 1.6
    I can guarantee that I will recoup way more than 2580 extra when both cars will be resold in 2 years time.
    In my maths it only makes sense to buy the vRS

Hi Vectra

I do see your point. However I have a few questions about you post..

I can't see where you got your base price for the 1.6 TDI Octavia- The cheapest that I can get it for is 23,800 and I have a 5 month wait for it...

So based on what you say above...

23,080 - cash price that i was quoted
    20,568 - less 14% VRT
    16,248 - less 21% VRT

I vRS is outside my budget.. even then numbers above are just outside my budget which is 15,000...

However your point is valid, see I was going for the 1.6 tdi because I thought it would have a better resale value when I change the next time and possible a better trade-in value. But if I take your logic I could go for the 1.9 TDI which would fall under a higher VRT band, plus I might get a better cash deal..

Actually on a related note, are there any good Skoda dealerships. I have tried two of them and the first one was a complete *****ole... Long story, but it seems that the 1.6 TDI's are rare due to a production plant problem..

Anyway, thanks for the tip and you got my head thinking again..

Hi Vectra

I do see your point. However I have a few questions about you post..

I can't see where you got your base price for the 1.6 TDI Octavia- The cheapest that I can get it for is 23,800 and I have a 5 month wait for it...

So based on what you say above...

23,080 - cash price that i was quoted
    20,568 - less 14% VRT
    16,248 - less 21% VRT

I vRS is outside my budget.. even then numbers above are just outside my budget which is 15,000...

However your point is valid, see I was going for the 1.6 tdi because I thought it would have a better resale value when I change the next time and possible a better trade-in value. But if I take your logic I could go for the 1.9 TDI which would fall under a higher VRT band, plus I might get a better cash deal..

Actually on a related note, are there any good Skoda dealerships. I have tried two of them and the first one was a complete *****ole... Long story, but it seems that the 1.6 TDI's are rare due to a production plant problem..

Anyway, thanks for the tip and you got my head thinking again..

1) Got the price from Carzone >> TAKE YOUR PICK << :cool:

<<1.6 TDI Ambience

2) There is a long wait for them, I ordered my one on 3rd May and will hopefully have it by late September.

3) Can I ask a personal question? Are you financing the full 15k ??( PM me with reply if you wish. ;)

4) I tried most dealers around the country and the best deal by a country mile was with E.Tarrant in Banteer. This was got through the recommendation of them via a friend on here

5) I dont think the 1.9 is still available or not, If I am correct the 1.6 replaces this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Colgan,

Do you need an Automatic? Vectra is looking at the figures on the manual whereas you were looking at the DSG figures.

Vectra - could you work out figures on the 2.0Tdi DSG 140 Elegance to see if that gets up towards the maximum allowance? RRP is €27,510 with an extra €450 for metallic.

For someone who needs the auto version, this might be the best option.

Still looking at 5 months wait though for the DSG I think.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Vectra - could you work out figures on the 2.0Tdi DSG 140 Elegance to see if that gets up towards the maximum allowance? RRP is €27,510 with an extra €450 for metallic.

Here you go

2.0 dsg 140 elegance = €27,510

Less Vrt @ 24% = €22185

Less Vat @ 21% = €18,335

=€9175 rebate
    This is for solid color

Metallic: €18,635

Less any possible discount with no trade in,

These are only guideline figures.

Yeah I have been in touch with the importer and apparently they can't manufacture the DSG gearboxes quickly enough so no matter what Skoda model I pick there will be a 5 month waiting period, which will cut it close on the VRT exempt certificate...

I think I will start looking elsewhere... Maybe a Ford Focus or something. I really cannot wait for 5 months tbh...

Thanks for all the help lads - i'll keep you posted to how I get on..

• Advertisement

Yeah I have been in touch with the importer and apparently they can't manufacture the DSG gearboxes quickly enough so no matter what Skoda model I pick there will be a 5 month waiting period, which will cut it close on the VRT exempt certificate...

Are you sure there is a time limit on using the cert?

yeah its 6 months and then you need to apply again...

Just saw this car on carzone which looks interesting
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/308/SE-Ecoma/201010197189885/advert?channel=CARS

OP here again.

Don't worry - I'm not thinking about changing my car:D!!!!

I am enquiring about applying for a Toll Road pass for a disabled driver.

1. What info/documents do I need?
    2. Is the pass actually a card similar to the parking card, or is it a tag that you fit on your windscreen(ie. Easy Pass tag)?

Cheers.

MM

OP here again.

Don't worry - I'm not thinking about changing my car:D!!!!

I am enquiring about applying for a Toll Road pass for a disabled driver.

1. What info/documents do I need?
    2. Is the pass actually a card similar to the parking card, or is it a tag that you fit on your windscreen(ie. Easy Pass tag)?

Cheers.

MM

Ring them :D

No seriously.
    Their office is near enough to me.
    I drove to them.

Find your nearest one here
    >> Toll operators

I think I only had to produce photo's and my tax disc for them to photocopy it as proof of exemption
    I got a car like the parking car only lighter Blue in color

Hope that helps ;)

Ring them :D

No seriously.
    Their office is near enough to me.
    I drove to them.

Find your nearest one here
    >> Toll operators

I think I only had to produce photo's and my tax disc for them to photocopy it as proof of exemption
    I got a car like the parking car only lighter Blue in color

Hope that helps ;)

Thanks. I thought it would be one of those Easy Pass tags like the normal ones that people have in their windscreens.......?

I got some phone numbers from people and I am waiting for the person to come back into the office before I get back in touch with them.....?

Hi all

Am thinking about changing car again

Same criteria applies as before;

Needs to be 3 door, plenty of room inside(none of that centre console shenanigans!). Automatic too

Suggestions/opinions welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Golf TSI DSG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread but since it's the OP updating I suppose we can rock on.
    Moved to Buying.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Golf TSI DSG?

Hasn't the golf got one of those big, awkward, centre consoles that I despise?

I currently have a Golf TSI DSG

I thought you had a fiesta!

• Advertisement

I thought you had a fiesta!

No lol. Changed that after 2 years......worst thing I ever did!

Is your leg hitting off the centre console or what?

You wanna stick with something golf sized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Prius all the way. Super car and no cheating involved!!!

5 door though, so not great for wgat the OP needs (as in big door access)

No lol. Changed that after 2 years......worst thing I ever did!

Fiesta again?
    or a different model ford?
    There are great discounts on Ford model at the moment.

Ford don't really do 3 doors stuff apart from the fiesta and the ka.

Is your leg hitting off the centre console or what?

You wanna stick with something golf sized?

No Colm. The reason I don't want a console in the centre is cos it's awkward for lifting my wheelchair in & out. Its got an armrest/cubbyhole that gets in the way. I've discovered this with the golf. Most new cars seem to have them?

You'll have to explain what a console is, is it the kinda bit behind the armrest with air vents and stuff in it?
    do you put your wheelchair in the back seat?

You'll have to explain what a console is, is it the kinda bit behind the armrest with air vents and stuff in it?
    do you put your wheelchair in the back seat?

I mean the bit in the middle where the ashtray etc is. I put my chair on the passenger seat

Ford don't really do 3 doors stuff apart from the fiesta and the ka.

Was thinking maybe B-Max?

770x320_turnoutbis.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement