Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant connect to site

Options
  • 19-03-2008 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

apolagies for asking this again, i know its been asked before but cant find thread,

i'm trying to connect to a particlar site (forum/message board), can veiw it normally during the day from other computers, once i come home in the evening, cant connect from my own broadband connection at all, i belive the site is working normally, as when/if i do eventually manage to view it, there has been activity on it,

can view other sites normally, could it be an issue with contention, or is there any diaognistics i can do my self to check the problem

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Nets/Comms is ok.

There are a few ways to try and diagnose it. First is to see if DNS is working correctly on your machine. So at a cmd prompt (assuming win 2000 or greater)
    try nslookup domainname.

If you get a IP address displayed then DNS is working ok. If not, this is your problem, make sure your dns servers are setup correctly.

Next step would to be traceroute the address.
    so tracert domainname

See how far the trace route gets. Look at the machine names, they'll give you an idea of where the problem is. Let us know how you get on with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

using vista, something flashed up for a second or so using

nslookup domainname

window with blackground displaying my ISP and an IP address,

when tried

tracert domainname

something did flash up for a brief second, not long enough to read or catch anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

sorry yeah, you'll need to run a cmd prompt to catch the output. So at the run dialog, do 'cmd'

This will give you a command prompt where you can run tracert and nslookup.

Verb wrote: »
    sorry yeah, you'll need to run a cmd prompt to catch the output. So at the run dialog, do 'cmd'

This will give you a command prompt where you can run tracert and nslookup.

excuss my ignorance, what do you mean by run dialog,

:confused:

just been looking at some of this command prompt functions on my help menus, usally know my way round a computer, but not sure experienced enough to run this types of commands, would be wary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

at the start button, click on the "run" option
    enter "cmd" and hit return <- that is the run dialog

then try the commands verb suggested:
    - nslookup domainname
    - tracert domainname

(replacing domainname with the website you want to access)

try doing the same from work and comparing the results

misterq wrote: »
    at the start button, click on the "run" option
    enter "cmd" and hit return <- that is the run dialog

then try the commands verb suggested:
    - nslookup domainname
    - tracert domainname

(replacing domainname with the website you want to access)

try doing the same from work and comparing the results

haha, typed it as verb said in the serch, didn't realise he meant to replace domainn name with the website name, <doh>

:o

emailed my ISP anyway to see if their servers had any issues with different types of domainn, named the site in the email as well, have had issues with it for a while, can connect from work and was able to conect on house mates lappy using another ISP

tried the site again straight after emailing , and suddenly connected for first time in two days

do you need to includ the http:// or www. part when doing the command

ps, what am i looking for in the result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

irish-stew wrote: »
    do you need to includ the http:// or www. part when doing the command

ps, what am i looking for in the result

If you want to do a trace route to a website you should do something like 'tracert www.<website>.<com|org|net>' you'll see the path that packets take from your machine to the destination. Have a look at the attached screen shot it shows a trace route from my laptop to boards.ie for an example of the type of output you should see from a trace route.

Advertisement