Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG :mad:

Options
  • 19-03-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Ok so here is the story , I made a list of books that I wanted to read based on recommendations from this board about ten in total , most of which where either classics , prize winner’s or cult classics , Now I went into Eason’s in blanch no luck :confused:, so the next day I had reason to be in the pavilion in swords so I tried eason’s in there no luck:( (although I did notice they had Middlesex in , which was out of stock last time ) disappointed I went upstairs to Hughes and Hughes (where I did get Middlesex when eason’s did not have it:)) where I only found one of the books and it was in two volumes so I would have had to spend 50 euros on the one book on the list I wasn’t too pushed on getting (not at 50 euros any way) in all fairness to Hughes and Hughes they do tend to have a better selection of good literature there was plenty of books there that I recalled being recommended but im not in a hurry to get something and I wanted to get what was on my list first

Sorry rant over :D

Ps

It just dawned on me that maybe I schould have looked for "Homage to Catalonia" in the bio section :rolleyes: (although I did look threw the bio's for something else so I probably would of seen it if it was there)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Eason's aren't really great for books. Is there still a Borders in Blanchardstown shopping centre? They'd sort you out for most stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Borders would have been a better choice as they have a much better selection than Eason's pitiful offer. If you're stocking up, and can wait a week or two: order on-line! http://www.bookdepository.co.uk - decent selection (amazon have a bigger selection, but are more expensive - although, a bit of browsing and check against xe.com and you might save a bit if you order from amazon.com while the dollar is weak) and a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Karoma wrote: »
    Borders would have been a better choice as they have a much better selection than Eason's pitiful offer. If you're stocking up, and can wait a week or two: order on-line! http://www.bookdepository.co.uk - decent selection (amazon have a bigger selection, but are more expensive - although, a bit of browsing and check against xe.com and you might save a bit if you order from amazon.com while the dollar is weak) and a decent price.

Thanks for the link , a lot of the hard to find stuff I tend to get from amazon, Im going to have to start making trips into some of the bigger bookshops in town again (I have been known to waste most of the day going from book shop to book shop :D ) In fairness to eason's they are more that happy to order stuffin for you (as are most of the book shops:)) but it can be a pain in the backside for a start you rely need to have the isbn with you and then you have to make time to go back and colect it :rolleyes: , it realy is more convenient to order online ,

I have to say that while I moan about it Im lucky enough , I live in Rush (DUBLIN) so im only 25 min's on the train from the city center with the cream of the irish book shops within 25 mins walk from each other , It must be hell for any one stuck out in the back end of the countryside , plus on the up side where are getting a new (rather large) library :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Hodges and Figgis on Dawson Street or try your local public library if they don't have it they can order it from another branch or from the u.k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Eason's are crap. I refuse to shop there for anything because of their crap book selection.

Hodges Figgis on Dawson St rules. And they have a cool loyalty booklet thing. Waterstones is across the way if there is anything they don't have in Hodges Figgis, but layout and selection not as good. I've tried Chapters on Parnell St a few times, but not really into it.

Was going to start writing about my favourite bookshops, but I think there is already a thread on that, so i'll stop now ... (Hodges Figgis still rules, though).

• Advertisement

randomguy wrote: »
    . I've tried Chapters on Parnell St a few times, but not really into it.

I find chapters very good for bargins they do a lot of the commercial stuff but they also do a lot of stuff you wont find in places like eason’s the new shop is great but a peice of me misses the old place where you had to squeeze past tower's of books :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Why not buy online?
    I've gotten a lot of books from play.com and amazon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

randomguy wrote: »
    Hodges Figgis on Dawson St rules.
    QFT

Take your list to a counter and get 'em to look them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

disappointed I went upstairs to Hughes and Hughes (where I did get Middlesex when eason’s did not have it:)) where I only found one of the books and it was in two volumes so I would have had to spend 50 euros on the one book on the list I wasn’t too pushed on getting (not at 50 euros any way)

If you're a member of pigsback, you should use your piggy points for Hughes & Hughes vouchers - 1000 points for €10 gift card, 2000 for €20. Dead handy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Easons is not a bookstore. If you want books do the Dublin trail: begin on Dawson St. with Waterstones/Hodges Figgis, then cross over to Booksworms on Middle Abbey St, which is close to Chapters. All within a 15-20 walk and you can spit at Easons during the walk since you will have to pass it. Failing that you can check out the Easons magazine rack. Conclusion: Easons is a magazine store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I have a rule, novels in Waterstones, everything else in Hodges Figgis. I find the fiction section better in Waterstones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Valmont wrote: »
    I have a rule, novels in Waterstones, everything else in Hodges Figgis. I find the fiction section better in Waterstones.

A slight modification for me:

New titles HF, Older fiction W, non-fiction HF

(This is where it starts to get complicated!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Why not try ebay? I can usually find 90% of the stuff I want on there. If all else fails try amazon or another such online seller.

Ebay will save you a bit of money, plus you can try and resell at a profit. I have it down to an art form at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Online is your best bet. I buy most of my books online from ebay, play, amazon, abebooks etc. Dead handy and much cheaper than 'real' shops.

Yeah the book depository is amazing tbh. I picked up that massive Richard Ford edited Granta short stories collection for €16/17 delivered - it seems wrong it's that cheap! (€30 on special offer in H&H, Eason etc.).

Mind you there's nothing like browsing through a bookstore and finding something totally new every so often (especially if you have book tokens!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

If you live in Rush why don't you get the train out to Balbriggan and try the library there? (You may have to wait a while longer for Rush library to open, 2009 as far as I know)

Edit: Search the online catalogue for Fingal libraries. If you can't find it there it can be ordered from other local authority libraries.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    (You may have to wait a while longer for Rush library to open, 2009 as far as I know)
    there is a small library in rush allready , I checked on line all ready the only copy of homage to cataloina is out on loan in balbriggan :rolleyes:

ps

Im pretty sure I'll be living in england by 09 , just my luck :rolleyes:

there is a small library in rush allready , I checked on line all ready the only copy of homage to cataloina is out on loan in balbriggan :rolleyes:

ps

Im pretty sure I'll be living in england by 09 , just my luck :rolleyes:

There isn't a fingal library in Rush already, at least not an open one. Rush and Lusk are served by the mobile libraries.

It's possible to put a reserve on books too, so if Homage to Catalonia is on loan the person won't be able to renew it and when its brought back you'll get a phone call to come and collect it. There's a 50c charge for it. There's also a copy available in Blanchardstown which can be sent to Balbriggan or Skerries (whichever suits you better) for collection.

There isn't a fingal library in Rush already, at least not an open one. Rush and Lusk are served by the mobile libraries.

They must of closed it then , it used to be in the front of what was the old girls school :(

There hasn't been one in Rush for a long long time.

Seriously though, if you get a chance during the week you should drop in with your list. Won't take long and it could save you a lot of cash. :)

• Advertisement

Seriously though, if you get a chance during the week you should drop in with your list. Won't take long and it could save you a lot of cash. :)

I think im going to have to start going to the local library’s (swords is a handy enough one as well) I haven’t been to one since school :eek: !! They really are a great resource , I’ve a friend that goes regularly so can tag along with her , :D

I find the libraries pretty disappointing to be honest - I think the selections in Pearse, Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey are pretty disappointing. Mind you, some might say I just have extreme tastes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

All this talk of a list and where to shop for the list... my curiosity has gotten the better of me - what's actually on your list OP?

I find the libraries pretty disappointing to be honest - I think the selections in Pearse, Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey are pretty disappointing. Mind you, some might say I just have extreme tastes :D

Most libraries need to cater for the general public so it may not always be possible to find something that may be deemed as obscure.

Having said that, I know that in Fingal libraries there is the possibility to have it purchased, depending of course on what it is. Next time you're in you should chance your arm and ask them if they'd buy it in for you.

Advertisement