Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive pregnancy test - no idea what to do next...

Options
  • 19-03-2008 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi,
    my wife took a pregnancy test a couple of days ago and we are both delighted. We've since discovered our knowledge about what to do next is extremely limited! I suggested she go to her sisters (who have had kids) to get some info but she doesn't want to tell anyone until after week 12 so that is out.

I've done some research myself and think we've figured out the breakdown of private/semi-private and public. Herself reckons that semi private in Holles St. is the way to go and I see from their website the next suggested step is ringing and making an appointment.

Getting to my point (at last!) - what would you good people recommend? Should I just put a phone call into Holles St tomorrow and say we want to go semi-private and see what they say? Or should I arrange an appointment with a GP first?

I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Yep, well the first step is deciding which hospital and whether to go private, public or semi-private. Do you have a GP. Pop down to your GP who will give you a due date and will write a letter off to the hospital so that they will expect you and then I think you should get a letter from the hospital to say when her first visit will be (the doc will be able to clarify that). You dont really get any check ups till you are past 3 months. Make sure shes taking folic tablets. As long as the doc says its ok you can have shared care between the doc and the hospital which means every other visit you go to the doc instead of the hospital which I found a god send as the hospital trips can be quite stressful. CONGRATULATIONS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

Congrats to you both!!!
    I am also 8 weeks pregnant myself at this time,my 3rd one,LOL
    Firstly,yes,do make an appointment with your GP,very important as they ask questions about health,take blood pressure and give advice.
    Also,consider having combined care,between a local health clinic and only having to attend hospital for scans ect as waiting times can be literally all day long.
    Also,semi private and public are not really that different anymore and with semi private your not actually guaranteed privacy if the hospital is busy.
    I have gone public in the Coombe on both of mine and found it great.
    Now,your wife needs to start taking FOLIC ACID tablets every day up until she is 3 months gone as it reduces the risk of spina bifida,these can be bought in any chemist cheap.
    Also,the usual,quit the alcohol as first 3 months are most important to developement.
    Tell her to also get some bigger bras as breasts become very tender and sore.
    Eating small but often is better than large meals as nausea can be a real pain,also taking her time getting up in the morning helps,lots of peeing also,remember to drink extra fluids because of this.
    Anyway,hope this helps,please feel free to contact me at any stage.
    Good luck with it all.
    Karen:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Congrats, myself and my wife found out not too long ago that our first was on the way. We are going public, at least thats what i was told, ;) didnt argue. Good luck with keeping it quiet for 12 weeks, didnt work for us. People start to guess very quickly when you stop going for a drink etc and cut down on the more physical duties at work, which my wife had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 psmate

ElBarco wrote: »
    Hi,
    my wife took a pregnancy test a couple of days ago and we are both delighted. We've since discovered our knowledge about what to do next is extremely limited! I suggested she go to her sisters (who have had kids) to get some info but she doesn't want to tell anyone until after week 12 so that is out.

I've done some research myself and think we've figured out the breakdown of private/semi-private and public. Herself reckons that semi private in Holles St. is the way to go and I see from their website the next suggested step is ringing and making an appointment.

Getting to my point (at last!) - what would you good people recommend? Should I just put a phone call into Holles St tomorrow and say we want to go semi-private and see what they say? Or should I arrange an appointment with a GP first?

I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Cheers!

Congrats Elbarco, my wife is gone 14 weeks with our first. I can still remember when she did the test...I don't think I will ever be as excited!!
    First thing we did was go to our GP who will give you a letter for the maternity hospital, you will have to decide if you want public/semi priv/priv. We went private in the Coombe. GP can help and can answer all your wifes (and your) questions.
    We also decided to wait the 12 weeks before telling siblings and friends. No real reason why we waited, everyone only knows now two weeks so it has can of rekindled the excitement for us! We told our parents (swore them to secrecy) so at least we could discuss it with them. No rule of thumb on this and you should tell people as you feel comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Congrats to you and your wife Elbarco!! I'm 28 weeks on my first and I have to say it's already shaping up to be a most life-changing experience!!

Make an appointment with your doc by all means, but don't delay in calling HS to make your appointments!!! They are so busy that frist appointments are getting later and later. You should just call the booking office now and get a registration number then you call the semi-private clinic to make appointments. You need to have both your wife and your PPS numbers, the date of your wife's last period, and your health insurance details at hand when you call.

Your doc will give you a referral letter when you see him, but you only need to bring this along to your first appointment. Most peope opt for "combined care" where you alternate visits with GP and doc, which is good cos it means you don't have the queues at the hosp too many times.

If you wanted to go private you will need to contact consultants individually. It sounds crazy but from my experience they seem to book up before people even know they are PG!! I am SP at HS and haven't had any problems so far......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Thanks to all for the advice - much appreciated. We visited the GP today and booked appointments in Holles St. (I've been told we are going semi-private).

Now to cross our fingers that all will be well!

Thanks again

Advertisement