Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversing Around Corner

Options
  • 19-03-2008 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

ok so i have my driving test on april the 5th and i cannot for the love of satan reverse around a corner. all cheats or helpful hints welcome thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's a learning to drive forum where you'll probably get a better response, and this topic has been covered before, have a search for it all the usual stuff would be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

look out your back passenger side window while reversing ... when the curb turns in that window start turning the steering wheel accordingly. At least I think that's how I do it??

Don't forget to stop briefly when you're on the corner and throw a look toward oncoming traffic, then use your passenger side mirror to ensure your road position is good.

Hope that helps. Its difficult to describe in words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

alot of people set there left wing mirror too high, and you cant see any kerbs when reversing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Definitely check out the Learning to Drive forum (click the Motors category above this thread it's in the same cat as Motors, funnily enough also called Motors).

You can do it as slowly as you like, just make sure you're progressing and you keep the observation high, make sure you know what's around you at all times. If someone comes down the road towards you then stop and wait. Get a lesson with a decent instructor and tell them you can't do it. They can bring you to an area where you can practice it until you can do it with your eyes closed (not recommended). You have to reverse 5 metres minimum from the corner and finish 0.5 metres or less from the kerb as you're parking. If there's a car parked to your right then go further to a point where it's not directly beside you.

Also make sure to indicate right when you're pulling off, whether you're turning right or left. You're technically pulling out from a parked position so must indicate that you're pulling off. After you're back on the road you can indicate left or right to turn.

Good luck. It's not as difficult as it seems once you get the practice in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

ok so i have my driving test on april the 5th and i cannot for the love of satan reverse around a corner. all cheats or helpful hints welcome thanks

I hope you're not out driving on your own!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

if you go up-down-up-down on the indicator then brake-2nd-clutch-cigarette lighter.... hold on that cheat doesn't work, sorry:(

:pac:< Learn to drive and you'll pass - real life ain't a video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'll bite...

My driving instructor gave me a handy tip for reversing straight after you have rounded the corner. Line up the car a set distance beside the curb, I think the required distance is about 1 foot. When you are lined up look over you shoulder and out the back window. At the point where the curb becomes visible in the back window stick a tiny piece of paper or masking tape there. Its usually best to get someone to do it for you while your in the car. Now in future when ever you line up that little piece of paper with the curb you know you will be exactly 1 foot from the curb and it will keep you straight.

As for going around the curb I just turned down the left mirror so I could see all of the corner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thread now moved to LTD

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thread Title changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Change your inside(left side) mirror so you can see the kerb, use that as you reference to see the back of the car around the corner and the distance from the kerb, use all other mirrors and head/neck turning to check around you. (Don't forget to change mirror back when finished.) Oh and do it slow slow slow, it'll give you more time to manouver if you make a mistake, you wont be rewarded for speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fashioncookie

are you allowed to change the left handed mirror before doing this manoeuvre (so as to be able to see the kerb) during the test? do you ask the tester if u can turn it?

are you allowed to change the left handed mirror before doing this manoeuvre (so as to be able to see the kerb) during the test? do you ask the tester if u can turn it?

I believe you can, but i wouldn't, and the tester will generally not answer questions as it is a test. You should be able to use your left mirror as it is unless you have it pointing skyward. Just take your time while doing the manoeuvre, look out the rear window and left mirror to gauge when to begin your turn. Another tip i got was to complete the manoeuvre in two turns of the wheel, one turn to get around the corner and another one to straighten up. If you do change your left wing mirror dont forget to change it back when you're finished!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

do you have to indicate at all when going around the corner?

Peleus wrote: »
    do you have to indicate at all when going around the corner?

You reversing lights are sufficient, also indicators may confuse other drivers as to what your intentions are. There is no requirement to use indicators

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

You reversing lights are sufficient, also indicators may confuse other drivers as to what your intentions are. There is no requirement to use indicators

i thought so, just making sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fashioncookie

I believe you can, but i wouldn't, and the tester will generally not answer questions as it is a test. You should be able to use your left mirror as it is unless you have it pointing skyward. Just take your time while doing the manoeuvre, look out the rear window and left mirror to gauge when to begin your turn. Another tip i got was to complete the manoeuvre in two turns of the wheel, one turn to get around the corner and another one to straighten up. If you do change your left wing mirror dont forget to change it back when you're finished!!!!

thanks, don't know if reaching across the tester to change the mirror would be a good idea! but my left mirror as it is will not show the kerb when doing the manoeuvre. i guess i have to try to fix it in a new position that shows the kerb as well as traffic on the left when I'm on the go. thanks for the advice! :)

Advertisement