Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Wheel Bearing - Replace or Scrap

Options
  • 19-03-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was out yesterday on my road bike & noticed a - Click, Click, click sound - from the front wheel - turns out that the bearing is causing the noise so I presume its shot - Q is will I end up scrapping the wheel or can I get a replacement bearing - the wheel is in good nick outside the bearing. I'll take to the bike shop tomorrow in any case but I'd appreciate if anyone can throw light on it before this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

are you sure its the bearig it may be the spokes, has the wheel been trued lately?

if it is the hub You won't know until you open the hub up. if its clicking, how long has it been going on for???

id guess you will need new bearings and cones, your hubs should be cool if you caught it quick, is there any sideways play in the hub??

it will cost you e20- e30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DAC

Thanks for the response!
    clicking only started yesterday - out for about 50 minutes - I don't see any play in the hub so fingers crossed it ok

DAC wrote: »
    Thanks for the response!
    clicking only started yesterday - out for about 50 minutes - I don't see any play in the hub so fingers crossed it ok

dont cycle on it untill its fixed, on bikes little problems become expensive ones quite quickly. especially on light stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I might jump on this with a similar question. I got a front wheel second hand recently. It is missing some ball bearings and also the axle and any nuts/bits needed, I don't know what it needs unfortunately. I can see where the ball bearings are, some are out (in a bag) and some still stuck in with the grease.

How much would it be to replace the axle and other bits and pieces? Bring it to shop or do it myself ?

Gav

Verb wrote: »
    I might jump on this with a similar question. I got a front wheel second hand recently. It is missing some ball bearings and also the axle and any nuts/bits needed, I don't know what it needs unfortunately. I can see where the ball bearings are, some are out (in a bag) and some still stuck in with the grease.

How much would it be to replace the axle and other bits and pieces? Bring it to shop or do it myself ?

Gav

if the wheel was fecked then you got it, id clean the hub out ad check it for wear as chances are its fupped.

do you know how to tighten bearings with a cone spanner?? you cant have them too tight or loose, and then youve to tighten a locknut onto the cone without the cone turning.

heres a price.
    cone spanners, universal(13,14,16,17)€15
    axle, grease,cones, bearings €13
    so about e28, it will cost this to get a bike shop to do it.
    best to have a go and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

ok thanks for that, I might as well give it a lash

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

DAC wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was out yesterday on my road bike & noticed a - Click, Click, click sound - from the front wheel - turns out that the bearing is causing the noise so I presume its shot - Q is will I end up scrapping the wheel or can I get a replacement bearing - the wheel is in good nick outside the bearing. I'll take to the bike shop tomorrow in any case but I'd appreciate if anyone can throw light on it before this.
    Thanks

Take the wheel off the frame, hold the ends of the axles in your hands, and spin the wheel (grow a third hand, ...or else just run the wheel along your leg to get it to spin). If the bearings are the problem then you'll feel it through the axle.

Bearings wear out so it is inevitable that you'll have to replace them more than once during the lifetime of the hub. It is an easy enough job (unless the bearings are sealed - if that is the case you'll need different, and more expensive, tools. I am assuming non-sealed bearings here), just be careful to get replacement bearings of the right size and number (count the bearings you take out of each side and take some of them with you to the bike shop when buying the new ones). Not all greases are equal so buy one that is well suited for hubs. You'll only have to replace the cones if they are badly worn - look for wear marks or pits and judge yourself whether they are reusable.

As already mentioned, (for non-sealed bearings) you'll need a cone spanner (thinner than a normal spanner) and a standard spanner for the lock nut at the ends of the axle. They are worth buying 'cos you will use them again and again if you are interested in maintaining your own bike. Front wheels usually use 13mm or 14mm (some use 15mm) cones and nuts, back wheels usually use 16mm or 17mm cones and nuts - it is worth checking first though as there seems to be a lot of variation these days.

By the way, if removing the axle, only undo the lock nut and cone on one side of the axle (for a front axle you can choose either side). Leave the other side alone so that the axle will automatically be centered correctly when you re-fit it later.

Replacing the bearings will be cheaper than a new wheel, and once you have bought the necessary spanners (which are not expensive) any subsequent bearing replacement is dirt cheap.

Advertisement