Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting to xbox Live through PC?

• 19-03-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Right,

I use my laptop to connect wirelessly to the internet through my housemates router downstairs. I dont know him that well but he said its sound for me to use it. So i cant ask him to make changes to settings etc.

I tried connecting to xbox live through a wireless adapter but it failed at the MTU stage so the router isnt good enough to connect to.

So now im trying connect the xbox to my laptop to use the laptops internet connection, so in effect the laptop is the router.

I have connected the two together using the ethernet cable supplied with the laptop but i can seem to see the xbox connection on my laptop. However when i run the test on the xbox it says the adapter is wired so its picking it up.

Any ideas how i go about executing this? Ive looked online but everything is from 2006 and doesnt seem relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It would help if you told us which provider you're using. It could be a firewall problem, is it set to low? and is xbox live enabled on the games/services list on your router settings? (If you're using eircom, I'm talking about this http://192.168.1.254/indexRES.htm?natRES.htm) If not it probably explains why it isn't connecting wirelessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Have you enabled the ICS option on your pc?

theres a load of info on the xbox site too, check the other post in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

this is exactly how i'm set up OP, are you using vista or xp?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

using XP, i tried to enable ICS however i dont have the options within the proprties. It is gone.

This could be down to a virus?

I downloaded a Reg file for ICS and tried to update that but i couldnt open it as it said 'Another program is using this file' or something like that. I cant access regedit either and i also cant access the task manager.

Has to be down to a virus i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Are you running any file sharing programs?

Sounds to me like you've got some kind of trojan or something.

Are you running in safe made or are you on guest user privileges or something?

Clean out your computer, then try again. Theres no point in trying to enable ICS though unless you get the xbox connected via LAN first, i misunderstood your first post. Make sure your windows is completely updated also, sometimes this can solve loads of problems!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

I tried doing the same thing... What I did was:

Connect the Xbox to your laptop with a CROSSOVER CABLE (your first mistake)

Bridge your wireless card to the wired NIC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 We Are Leeds

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Are you running any file sharing programs?

Sounds to me like you've got some kind of trojan or something.

Are you running in safe made or are you on guest user privileges or something?

Clean out your computer, then try again. Theres no point in trying to enable ICS though unless you get the xbox connected via LAN first, i misunderstood your first post. Make sure your windows is completely updated also, sometimes this can solve loads of problems!

Are there any free decent spyware removal programs out there?
    helios wrote: »
    I tried doing the same thing... What I did was:

Connect the Xbox to your laptop with a CROSSOVER CABLE (your first mistake)

Bridge your wireless card to the wired NIC...

I went into game and asked if they had a cross over cable, they said xbox havent released that yet??? but if i wanted to connect my xbox to my laptop to use the internet connection i should use an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Game don't have a clue. a Crossover cable has been around before playstations and xbox's were around.
    However I don't think you need it.

In order for the xbox to be able to connect through your wireless on your laptop, when you go to network connections, the wireless connection should be be shared(with a hand symbol on it).
    If you right click on the wireless connection, go to properties, advanced tab, and the Internet Connection Sharing should be ticked.
    If you cannot see this option you may have to run the network wizard, and in the wizard the first option should be "This computer connects to the internet and all other computers connect to the internet through this computer"
    After this wizard has run(even if it failed[like mine just did]) if you now go to properties and advanced tab, the ICS option should now be there and tick it so the connection is shared.

That should be it

brav wrote: »
    Game don't have a clue. a Crossover cable has been around before playstations and xbox's were around.
    However I don't think you need it.

In order for the xbox to be able to connect through your wireless on your laptop, when you go to network connections, the wireless connection should be be shared(with a hand symbol on it).
    If you right click on the wireless connection, go to properties, advanced tab, and the Internet Connection Sharing should be ticked.
    If you cannot see this option you may have to run the network wizard, and in the wizard the first option should be "This computer connects to the internet and all other computers connect to the internet through this computer"
    After this wizard has run(even if it failed[like mine just did]) if you now go to properties and advanced tab, the ICS option should now be there and tick it so the connection is shared.

That should be it

I'll give this a go, im running an AdAware scan as i write this.

Haha Game are ****, the guy said, erm.. i think you need an update for it to work, Media Player 8 or soemthing???? haha ! I'll let you know what happens after the scan.

• Advertisement

Adaware will prob find a few things but I don't think that is the problem.

I just tried this on a newly set up laptop this morning it was also missing the ICS under advanced tab, however after running the wizard it is now there.

Adaware will prob find a few things but I don't think that is the problem.

I just tried this on a newly set up laptop this morning it was also missing the ICS under advanced tab, however after running the wizard it is now there.

Ah rite. I will try this when im home from work.

Does anything happen when you connect the xbox to your PC/Laptop? When i pluged it in last night it didnt say "xbox detected" etc... Does that matter?

No, all that will happen is Windows will see it as just another computer connected to your laptop and give the xbox an IP address (like 192.168.0.2), so the xbox will think its connected to a network, however to be able to go on live you have share your internet connection(like your wireless in this case) which will then allow the xbox to connect to live.

No, all that will happen is Windows will see it as just another computer connected to your laptop and give the xbox an IP address (like 192.168.0.2), so the xbox will think its connected to a network, however to be able to go on live you have share your internet connection(like your wireless in this case) which will then allow the xbox to connect to live.

ok cool, thanks for your help.

I guess i set the live settings to automatic ip, and it should pick up ones itself.

Cheers for your help.

When i run the wizard, will a new network connection show up?

Once ive run the wizard, should it automatically allow other comps to share the internet connection (if i tell it to in the wizard) ! or will i need to go into the properties after and hope the ICS is available?

Well once you run the wizard and select the option to allow other computers to connect to the internet it should then just work, however for whatever reason, when I tried this myself it said failed, but when I went in to properties the option was now there to turn it on.

The only thing you will notice different is there will be an open hand icon over your wireless connection to signify that this connection is shared

Advertisement