Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jealous much?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

this is true... but just odd... i mean, if i looked even close to jessica alba i'd understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I don't think I am ever jealous of someone based on their looks, although I can be envious sometimes.

What's the difference? Well I kinda associate jealousy with begrudgery and bitchiness..... and I see being envious as kinda appreciating another woman's beauty, like say, an amazing figure, and wishing you had one too.
    I work with a lot of very good looking girls, if I spent my day being jealous, I'd never get anything done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah I don't see the point in being jealous of other girl's looks, figure etc....yeah I'll look at them and think oooh look at that, maybe admire what she's wearing or whatever but I don't see the point in putting any energy in to bitching about them....the only time I'm ever jealous of other women is if they're flirting with my man....I don't show it but ooooh I'll be fuming on the inside and be secretly stabbing her to death in my mind :D

Issues :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

g'em wrote: »
    Trust me, Dragan is my closest male friend (one of my closest friends, period) and we talk about everything and anything. There's nothing I can't talk to him about that I'd rather share with a girl. Having said that if I want a girl's point of view I'll talk to a female friend. If I want a boy's pov I'll talk to a guy.
    I'd be the same with two of my close mates who just happen to be women. A scrawnier weaker unhealthier Dragon to their g'em as it were.:D They have said exactly the same thing as g'em too. They'll come to me for the bloke perspective. Apparently I'm more likely to tell them they're being silly buggers. They reckon the balance is good. I would do the same. they would be better listeners than most of my male friends. If I need a sympathetic ear I'll go to them. If I'm looking for solutions or a kick up the arse I'll go to my male mates. Actually even that's interchangeable.:D

I do think women are more subtly competitive than men though. IMHO men tend to work out pretty quickly what's what and go along with that. Women seem to jostle for social position more, especially in the looks dept. If two guys showed up to the same party dressed the same, the most likely reaction would be to have a laugh about it. Two women show up in the same dress? Ouch. They can be far more critical towards each other than guys are, even if they describe the other woman as a friend. They're even more critical about themselves. Even looking in a mirror the most beautiful woman will see what's wrong where the dopey looking guy will see what's right. Generalisation yea but not far wrong I reckon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

maple wrote: »
    And as an aside to the topic, do you ever wonder when you pay a woman a compliment why alot of times they can never simply say Thank You. You compliment their top and its like "oh this old thing, bought it in Penneys". Or you're looking great, have you lost weight? "No, I've put on 10 stone, sure look at my love handles" and then proceed to pinch their nonexistent hips. Its like they need to denigrate themselves in order to fit in, or not to seem full of themselves.

Yeah this is particularly bad in Irish women.We just cant recieve compliments!We should all make it our duty on the ladies lounge from here on in to smile and say Thank you the next time we get a nice compliment instead of brushing it aside and putting ourselves down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Dudess wrote: »
    My mate's GORGEOUS - Cheryl Tweedy gorgeous. Amazing face, skin, curvy figure - hot. Therefore she must be a c*nt according to other girls I know. And she'll steal your boyfriend. And because she likes to look good and she's very feminine she must be a really girly bint type.
    But I can guarantee she is NONE of the above - the others are just jealous. She is an absolutely wonderful person. And yet she finds it hard to make friends with girls and a lot of girls hate her.

It's such an ugly and dark trait...

Have experienced this myself. You learn to just accept it for what it is and get on with life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

yeah... lots of people are like that.. its shocking,...
    Last chrimbo, i met a girl i was friends with in school (and this girl was a very close friend at the time but jealous of everyone who she felt looked thinner/prettier)

I hadn't seen her in years.. i went over, in a pub, and was like hiya!! the first sentance wasn't hi - how ya been? First words to pass her lips were " so, i see your still eating whatever you want & still a skinny bitch" ... now that was enough...:o

If she got a boyfriend she'd say to me & our othwer good friend "oh, he seen both of ye and wanted me... ":eek:
    Its frikkin mad.. i was just happy for her... weirdo!

God what an eejit, sounds like she's her own worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I can understand where Peared is coming from, but I don't think the putting down of a modelling forum in the thread was done maliciously, or jealously. To be honest, a (human) modelling forum would quickly degenerate into a riot of slagging of models who don't appreciate that it's not the effortless and vacant passtime it appears to be (and I often have a hard time remembering that myself).

I like being the least physically attractive of my friends. I make up for it by being a sarcastic b!tch - but I have fun. Without exception I'd consider all of my friends better looking than me, and I can't see that ever bothering me. I have my strong points, they have theirs. Appearance is important, but it doesn't always dictate who you are (not denying that it can for some people, but most are able to manouvre around it). By dismissing very pretty people as vacant, you end up losing lots of potential friends. Why? Besides, there are so many different versions of beautiful. Urgh, so not worth getting worked up about, is it?

It's hard to take a compliment without sounding conceited at times - I think we have a problem differentiating between appropriate responses in the right circumstances, so we just brush it off rather than get it wrong and sound big headed. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Interesting range of answers from the LL as always. Been really busy over the last few days so not had a chance to reply.

I suppose firstly, the reason I sensed jealousy in the modelling thread was because I cant see any other profession that would have been openly mocked if asked about. I agree a modelling forum wouldnt be a great idea. But if I asked was there a forum for teachers (Im not a teacher but its a general example) I dont think there would have been comments about what a uselass job teaching is. And whos to say modeling isnt as valid a job? It came across as jealousy to me. Maybe thats not what the pther posters were thinking but its not exactly unusual for women to be jealous of other women who make a living out of being beautiful.

The rest of my questions were kind of an extension of that cos it just got me thinking. Most people focused on the looks part of it which I guess is fair enough considering I mentioned the modelling forum but there were other things in there that I thought people could be jealous of.

I think lots of women are jealous of people who have things they dont. Especially if its been effortless to get them. And looks are a prime example of that, an accident of birth. It seems that feeling inferior and having a dislike of walking talking examples of our perceived shortcomings is a particularly female trait.

I think also that a certain degree of jealousy is normal. I admire people who are completely without it though. Probably it goes back to childhood yada yada. A secure woman is a very attractive woman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

To be honest with you Peared, the reason it got the responses it did was that it was posted in the wrong forum (not a crime!) and the poster was given genuine help in the first post.

If the poster had posted it in AH, they would have gotten probably worse responses.

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe so Silverfish. I supose its better the OP of that thread posted here than getting 'pics or you're a minger' in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Peared wrote: »
    Interesting range of answers from the LL as always. Been really busy over the last few days so not had a chance to reply.

I suppose firstly, the reason I sensed jealousy in the modelling thread was because I cant see any other profession that would have been openly mocked if asked about. I agree a modelling forum wouldnt be a great idea. But if I asked was there a forum for teachers (Im not a teacher but its a general example) I dont think there would have been comments about what a uselass job teaching is. And whos to say modeling isnt as valid a job? It came across as jealousy to me. Maybe thats not what the pther posters were thinking but its not exactly unusual for women to be jealous of other women who make a living out of being beautiful.
    lol, ah come on now, modelling is a hell of a lot more useless than teaching.

I mean what good does modelling do for society? Fúck all IMO.

What good does inputting figures into a computer do for society?

What do homeless people do for society?

I could go on.

Most people think of themselves first, society second (if at all)

The way you make a living does not always improve or contribute to society in general and nor does it have to.

It would be nice if the world was like that but its not.

People do jobs for many different reasons and do not always have the luxury of feeling like they are doing good while they work.

The way you make a living does not always improve or contribute to society in general and nor does it have to.
    And what people joke about isn't always fuelled by jealousy or insecurity.

Generally, jobs which are deemed to be fairly useless or done by not so intelligent people are going to be joked about.

It would be nice if the world wasn't like that but it is. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Generally, jobs which are deemed to be fairly useless or done by not so intelligent people are going to be joked about.

Well, the soccor forum is one of the most popular on this site-so many posts about guys running around a field kicking a piece of rubber and plastic. If the job of soccor player isn't pointless, I don't know what is. Likewise, UFC/Pro Boxing/ etc.

Well I have mixed feelings towards professional sport. In an ideal world, I don't think playing a sport should be a job, so yeah, I agree with you there.

And people joke about modern professional football players being stupid and self indulgent all the time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    And what people joke about isn't always fuelled by jealousy or insecurity.

It would be nice if the world wasn't like that but it is. ;)

I paid my way through a chemical engineering degree by working in Tokoyo as a model ( I'm Austrailian). Whenever people asked me what I did and I said 'model' they would instantly talk down to me. ESPECIALLY women. Other girls in college would work as waitresses etc during breaks to earn for the acedemic year and all of them had debts when they left. I didn't. I graduated top of my year. So who's the stupid one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

allabouteve, I think the waitresses probably weren't stupid either to be fair.

I don't think it's an unreasonable stretch for me to say that the negativity some people display towards physically attractive individuals could be the reason that a lot of people who are good looking and intelligent play down the less noticeable element - their brain.

That's helped fuel the notion that pretty people are dumb. Additionally, I don't believe that modelling places a huge demand on your brain. If you advance to running your own business around your modelling, negotiating your own deals and contracts, and if you're famous enough to move into endorsemenets, THEN you get to use your brain, otherwise it's just not the Krypton Factor.

That's not to say models don't work hard - long hours, a need to exercise a lot, plenty of work-related travel (if you're good enough), going to meet new clients at different shoots etc. I believe even Tyra Banks, who is cited as being highly intelligent, makes a distinction between her modelling and her modelling business in terms of which she uses her brain more in.

Saying that, I think that if JC 2K3 truly believes that modelling is generally a job taken by the unintelligent, then he/she has bought into the stereotype. I would never assume that a beautiful woman isn't intelligent. Nor would I ever assume an uneducated woman isn't intelligent.

([saucer of milk]nor would I assume that someone who has a chemical engineering degree should be able to spell and if they can't spell then they're dumb, which is lucky for you in a post where you're touting your intelligence[/saucer of milk])

well allabouteve obviously your degree is cancelled out by the modelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do yiz think, that the main reason women b*tch about other women is cos they are jealous of them in some respect?
    Or they could just be a B-word...

• Advertisement

([saucer of milk]nor would I assume that someone who has a chemical engineering degree should be able to spell and if they can't spell then they're dumb, which is lucky for you in a post where you're touting your intelligence[/saucer of milk])

Spelling issues are an entry requirement on any half decent engineering course.

13676933.jpg

wtf moonbaby

Its true :o

and that is the space shuttle Endeavour....

You're a strange egg moonbaby.

I'm starting to get fond of you in a weird kinda way though.

Even if you are my ladies lounge nemesis.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Spelling issues are an entry requirement on any half decent engineering course.

13676933.jpg

You honestly believe that an NASA engineer was in charge of coming up with that banner?

What's with the bitching towards boardsers' typos on this thread? Jesus...it's a bit petty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Well, if NASA had been kicked-off by Dr Wanda von Braun, chances it would have been a different shape? Maybe a flying saucer rather than the typical extension of... Ooooooooooo, now this is starting to sound like that B-word, so maybe it just doesn't apply among females, but includes mixed company? And I am not jealous...! Ha!

You're a strange egg moonbaby.

I'm starting to get fond of you in a weird kinda way though.

Even if you are my ladies lounge nemesis.

~Squirms~

You honestly believe that an NASA engineer was in charge of coming up with that banner?

Yes.

Well, if NASA had been kicked-off by Dr Wanda von Braun, chances it would have been a different shape? Maybe a flying saucer rather than the typical extension of... Ooooooooooo, now this is starting to sound like that B-word, so maybe it just doesn't apply among females, but includes mixed company? And I am not jealous...! Ha!

I wouldn't dare disagree with any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What's with the bitching towards boardsers' typos on this thread? Jesus...it's a bit petty.

I wasn't being petty. That was just a gentle reminder that if you're going to throw stones about who's stupid, you'd want to be careful your glass house is bullet proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

allabouteve, I think the waitresses probably weren't stupid either to be fair.

I don't think it's an unreasonable stretch for me to say that the negativity some people display towards physically attractive individuals could be the reason that a lot of people who are good looking and intelligent play down the less noticeable element - their brain.

That's helped fuel the notion that pretty people are dumb. Additionally, I don't believe that modelling places a huge demand on your brain. If you advance to running your own business around your modelling, negotiating your own deals and contracts, and if you're famous enough to move into endorsemenets, THEN you get to use your brain, otherwise it's just not the Krypton Factor.

That's not to say models don't work hard - long hours, a need to exercise a lot, plenty of work-related travel (if you're good enough), going to meet new clients at different shoots etc. I believe even Tyra Banks, who is cited as being highly intelligent, makes a distinction between her modelling and her modelling business in terms of which she uses her brain more in.

Saying that, I think that if JC 2K3 truly believes that modelling is generally a job taken by the unintelligent, then he/she has bought into the stereotype. I would never assume that a beautiful woman isn't intelligent. Nor would I ever assume an uneducated woman isn't intelligent.

I wasn't being petty. That was just a gentle reminder that if you're going to throw stones about who's stupid, you'd want to be careful your glass house is bullet proof.

Not only was I not 'throwing stones' at anyone, but you managed to misinterpret my post. The stupid ones are the ones who think a model needs to be spoken to in single syllable words. Anyone who uses their assets to advance themselves or their careers isn't dumb. Nor did I say waitresses were dumb, although doubtless some are. Stereotypes are always ugly and people who resort to pettiness generally see no lacking in themselves.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but methinks her stupidity comment referred to her college peers having debts after college and her having no debts-not to their intelligence.

Advertisement