Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Size of planters for wall climbers..

Options
  • 19-03-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I want to establish a couple of Climbers on front and back house walls. The house is a new build - with concrete path immediately around the perimeter. So, the only way i can get climbers is to use containers. How big of a container would I need to support the following;

Vitus coignetiae
    Wisteria Sinensis

Also, anyone got any comments on use of the above climbers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

in my experience climbers don't last very long in containers and generally containers will restrict their growth anyway. I certainly don't see a wisteria getting very far in a container unless its the size of a horse trough and they will always require a lot of maintenance to keep. If you could cut up some of the concreted area and get down about a 18inches or so you'd have a better chance of getting something of it. while a cuthole might seem like a confined space anway, the plant will appreciate the drainage and will find a way to root in it.

I'm not an expert gardener though so somebody else might have a better solution. just my two cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

having said that.. (apologies for the pause, I got caught in the 3am backup)
    there are some less intense climbers with smaller vines that you might get away with in a container like clematis or jasmine, but your more likely to get a trellis covering than a house covering. would look nice too.
    look for a good size planter. if you cant get someone to build a wall box, something like this would be suitable.

Advertisement