Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SU Elections

• 19-03-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Nominations officially open.

Open until 5pm next Tuesday. Campaigning to start then.
    There are eleven positions up for grabs on the Students' Union Executive, that of President, Deputy President, Vice President, the four Faculty Convenors, two Porstgraduate Representatives, Clubs and Societies Officer and the Equality Officer. The nominations are open today, and you can pick up forms in the Students' Union reception. You can do this until 5pm next Tuesday 25th March. Here's a brief rundown of all the positions:

President (Full-Time) - Head of the Students' Union, responsible for the direction of the Union, its policies, structure, strength and correct representation of DCU students. Broadest of all the positions in that it has a hand in all areas of student life.

Deputy President / Education & Welfare Officer (Full-Time) - Responsible for education and welfare among DCU students, covering everything from having a say in appeals and exam regulations to pushing policy to do with the personal welfare of students and running of the Class Rep system.

Vice President / Campaigns and Information Officer (Full-Time) - Anything that needs to be communicated to the student body is part of this officer's job, from issues on sexual health to accommodation. If students need to be informed, it's this person's job. It is also their job to ensure that the voice of students is heard on a wider level.

Faculty Convenors (Part-Time) - Work with the Deputy President on matters of education specifically to do with each faculty, the four Convenors sit on various committees to represent their students.

Chair of Postgraduate Committee (Part-Time) - Dedicated to ensuring the voice of postgraduate students is heard and that this feeds into Union policy.

Postgraduate Education Officer (Part-Time) - This Officer's job is to ensure the implementation of educational policies in the university which are to the benefit of postgraduate students.

Equality Officer (Part-Time) - Does exactly what it says in the tin, with this Officer being in charge of ensuring that no student feels discriminated against or uncomfortable simply because of who they are.

Clubs and Societies Officer (Part-Time) - This Officer acts as a liaison between the Union and clubs and societies on everything from events to charity work and anything in between.

Any rumours? Gizmo to return to run for pres? Flanagan for 2nd term? I had a peek in the nominations box and it was looking pretty full - yeay!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Oh interesting....

Someone should run for ALL positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Imagine if ya got them all!

I think there's something in the constitution (well there should be!) that says you cant. Would be fun though. Bit boring though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I nominate Simon Kilroy for president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭*Shelly*

Winters wrote: »
    I nominate Simon Kilroy for president.

I second that motion!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

ahhhh.... another election, another president winning cause they gave out free lollypops. excellent :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I know nothing about these people, I only know of them from e-mails. Have they done any canvassing or anything yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Not yet... starts soon.

Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I heard rumors Niall will be running and I think it'd be pretty good to have Alan as pres again, I'd be happy to vote for either one of them its been a cool SU this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It would actually be nice to see someone run for a second consecutive term. From what I've seen over the years it takes a considerable amount of time for people to get settled into the role so if they were to have another term I'd say they'd be able to hit the new year running and really get a lot more accomplished from the start.

Are any of the current SU in DCU next year?

I think the majority of the non-sabats will be here again - all of the sabats are graduated though.

• Advertisement

I dunno - I think its good to have change. Fresh ideas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Vote Niall For SU Prez!

no campaigning until Wednesday, candidates not officially announced yet!

RugBug for DCU mod!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

No nominations until wednesday ? eh

In the mean time maybe someone can help me out with a dcu related question thats been annoying me for two days. Your looking out the library window sitting on the top floor on your left hand side. You can see corpus cristi church on griffith avenue and just behind that in the distance theres a large multi story building that seems to be in town or along the quays i dunno. Whats the building ?

Cheers

Liberty hall?

And the nominations close at 5pm on Tuesday, so the forms will be sorted and candidates announced. Campaigning can then begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i give my vote to whoever gives me the most sweets and lollies tbqfh, and even then they better be pretty damn good to actually go make me vote.

ah DCU , the apathetical students choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

Wilburt for ents!

yeah a slight contradiction alright, oh the ironing

So it's agreed!

• Advertisement

yeah but i aint running for ents officer, no desire to put myself under such stress

Ok, just run for Redbrick Chair :)

id really rather not

That's okay, Amz is gonna do it.

AMZ FOR RB CHAIR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Failcandidate.

I wonder is Max gonna run for president :eek:

vote simon

I really hope he doesnt run. Because he'd probably get it. And he just incorporates whats wrong with DCU. Corporate money makers over putting students first!

That's what I was thinking :( Although he seems far less visible around campus lately, he might be rethinking his plans for global domination (maybe they don't involve DCU anymore).

Who the hell is Max?

Max Rantz M(a?)cDonald.. Chair of E&S. Lives in a Red Bull promo vehicle.

There was talk of him having plans for presidency a few months back.

• Advertisement

Never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

I'd sponsor 10,000 euro to the person who can shove the most Red Bulls up that chaps hole.

Seriously if he become President I am putting a hit out on him.

Srsly? I am sure you know him to see around campus at least. Tbh, he had to resign from the SU for reasons which were never made public... Hopefully someone awesome will run against him!

Nope, don't think so.

Meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

He's actually a rather nice chap when you get to know him personally.

Just in case anyone forgets it, we wouldn't have the great facilities we do in DCU if it wasn't for "Corporate money makers".

Ideals are all well and good, but it doesn't put bread on the table or bricks and morter together.

GavMan, I dont think anyone thinks that. More that the prices are a rip off, and teh whole attitude is wrong. But they dont do anything to foster a community. More, they run it like a business, which, to a certain extent it is I suppose. Just put DCU in comparison to other colleges. Student run bars, subsidised canteens and college run shops. We dont have that.

I dont complain too much though, as I've enjoyed college emensly. I'd just hate to see the SU infected with the corporate ways - we at least have that for now.

• Advertisement

couldnt be much worse than we have now i.e the prices of things.

whatever happened to the SU shop that was around last year?

i usually go to the other spar in shanowen, way cheaper and nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Jesjes wrote: »
    GavMan, I dont think anyone thinks that. More that the prices are a rip off, and teh whole attitude is wrong. But they dont do anything to foster a community. More, they run it like a business, which, to a certain extent it is I suppose. Just put DCU in comparison to other colleges. Student run bars, subsidised canteens and college run shops. We dont have that.

I dont complain too much though, as I've enjoyed college emensly. I'd just hate to see the SU infected with the corporate ways - we at least have that for now.

Maybe someone with a lick of Corporate acumen could be what the SU needs to get something done. As far as i can see, (based on the 4 administrations i've seen)they basically achieve the square root of **** all aside from organise a few events and rag week. Perhaps im wrong but its the way i see it

As for student run Bars, I believe we had them and it had to be shutdown coz of sticky fingers. So its a no go.

Also, Students are clearly happy to live under the current pricing structures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

GavMan wrote: »
    Maybe someone with a lick of Corporate acumen could be what the SU needs to get something done. As far as i can see, (based on the 4 administrations i've seen)they basically achieve the square root of **** all aside from organise a few events and rag week. Perhaps im wrong but its the way i see it

here here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

rugbug86 wrote: »
    Imagine if ya got them all!

I think there's something in the constitution (well there should be!) that says you cant. Would be fun though. Bit boring though.

You can actually run for as many as you like, although you are only allowed to hold one position at a time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Saw someone running for pres putting up a poster earlier today, before 5 actually. Not getting my vote now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

:| wrote: »
    Saw someone running for pres putting up a poster earlier today, before 5 actually. Not getting my vote now...

twas one of my crew, nominations closed at four, campaigning was allowed from then! :)

And if he's not getting your vote there be no winner!

The nominations are in:

President: Niall McClave

Deputy President Education and Welfare: Susan Hurley

Vice President Campaigns and Information: David McGovern

Clubs and Socs: Eimear Fitzmaurice

Equality Officer: Robin Caffola

Humanities: no nominations received

Science and Health: no nominations received

Business Convenor: Linda Horan

Engineering and Computing: Padraig O'Connor and Ellen Diskin

As no nominations were received for humanities and science and health, it has been re-opened until Friday at 4pm.

Good luck to all candidates.

well then most of the positions will be filled in automatically then because theres only one candidate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lil_cain

Irrespective of the number running, there's always an election. <3 our wonderful constitution

@ monaghan penguin: I would have voted for you anyway, the poster was pretty cool.

Only one position being contested, well thats no fun :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

With the exception of Niall, cant say I'm all too excited about the new SU, especially that we have no other choices in people to elect

Well the people running probably are the people I would have voted for anyway, but the lack of choice isn't really healthy for the SU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lil_cain

robby^5 wrote: »
    With the exception of Niall, cant say I'm all too excited about the new SU, especially that we have no other choices in people to elect

Susan is very good, one of the most dedicated, hard working, and bright people I've known in my time in DCU. I can't say I know David particularly well, but he's done great things with style soc this year. Eimear and Robin both put in a lot of work with just about everything going. I can't say they'd all be my choice, and some actual competition would be nice, but they're all extremely capable people from what I've seen.

Might be some competition in Science and Humanities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Alice Junge

mehhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement
Advertisement